PDA

View Full Version : Schistocerca or Schistocera?

Yaku Lee
08-13-2011, 01:34 AM
For ἀκρίς BDAG has “‘Schistocerca gregaria,’” and for אַרְבֶּה HALOT has “Schistocera gregaria.” Wikipedia has “Schistocerca gregaria.” Now BDAG and Wikipedia agree in spelling for this scientific name of locust, but HALOT has one character “c” missing in the penultimate position of the first word of the name, before the final “-a.” Is this a typo in HALOT, or are both spellings acceptable for the same insect, locust?

Thanks for your response, in advance.

bkMitchell
08-13-2011, 02:30 AM
For ἀκρίς BDAG has “‘Schistocerca gregaria,’” and for אַרְבֶּה HALOT has “Schistocera gregaria.” Wikipedia has “Schistocerca gregaria.” Now BDAG and Wikipedia agree in spelling for this scientific name of locust, but HALOT has one character “c” missing in the penultimate position of the first word of the name, before the final “-a.” Is this a typo in HALOT, or are both spellings acceptable for the same insect, locust?

Thanks for your response, in advance.

The spelling Shistocera is supported by Grasshoppers and Locusts of Wisconsin (Link) (http://insects.entomology.wisc.edu/Orthoptera/Acrididae/index.html) I also found that several other sites and publications that used the above spelling. However, the other spelling Schistocerca is used more often in literature based on a quick search of the web. So, I think it is safe to conclude that there is no mistake on the part of HALOT and that both spellings are equally correct. However, if you are writing an essay, abstract, or article it is best to follow the spelling used by you institution or publisher.

Yaku Lee
08-13-2011, 03:55 AM
The spelling Shistocera is supported by Grasshoppers and Locusts of Wisconsin (Link) (http://insects.entomology.wisc.edu/Orthoptera/Acrididae/index.html) I also found that several other sites and publications that used the above spelling. However, the other spelling Schistocerca is used more often in literature based on a quick search of the web. So, I think it is safe to conclude that there is no mistake on the part of HALOT and that both spellings are equally correct. However, if you are writing an essay, abstract, or article it is best to follow the spelling used by you institution or publisher.

You are very helpful. Thank you very much.