PDA

View Full Version : BW9 Custom Installation - Unwanted versions

MGVH
08-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I am working on composing a BW9 setup guide for my students (which I will share here later), and I encourage them to use the Custom installation in order to avoid getting a ton of unwanted versions cluttering up their menus.
I just did an installation on a Win7 system, and the graphic shows what versions got installed.
I am quite certain I did not check any boxes for the Chinese, Czech, Japanese... versions. Further, the installation included all the Greek and English versions even though I unchecked quite a few of those boxes.

Anyone else encounter this problem? It is odd, because I did an installation on my WinXP system with no problem.

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I did a custom installation on Windows 7 with no problems. However I didn't go into subcategories I either chose all of them or none. Perhaps the bug is somewhere in the subcategories??

For the record I believe these were the versions I chose: English, Greek, Hebrew, German, French, Italian, Manuscripts.

Mark Eddy
08-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Did you apply all the patches in BW8? If so, did you do a migration from BW8 as part of your installation of BW9? If so, some of the versions in those other languages were added to BW8 after the disks were made, so the uninstall of BW8 would have left them in the BW8 folder, and they would have been migrated into BW9. Just one possibility.
Mark Eddy

MGVH
08-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I had uninstalled previous versions of BW before installing BW9, but I'm wondering if there were 'scraps' from earlier editions that caused this problem.

To get rid of the unwanted versions, I first tried the recommended way of installing the DVD #1 and modifying the installation. I then unchecked the boxes of versions I didn't want. This worked fine for unchecking the English versions, but the Chinese, Japanese, etc were not checked already, and they did not disappear after modifying the installation.

The unofficial way to get rid of unwanted versions is to identify the codes of the versions you don't want, go to the BW9/databases directory, and delete all files w/ that code. (Do be careful what you delete!)