PDA

View Full Version : On version comparison

Yaku Lee
08-08-2011, 10:04 PM
With BibleWorks 9, one way to compare two versions in browse mode with appropriate difference highlighting, e.g. NIV and NIVO, is (1) to have NIV and NIVO as the only English version on Browse Window, (2) toggle on Toggle Difference Highlighting on Browse Window, and (3) choose NIV and NIVO on Parallel Versions Window of Tools|Viewing Text, or type “p niv nivo” on CL..

It appears that the versions on Parallel Versions Window are also compared with all the other same language versions on Browse Window for difference highlighting. That is why all the other versions have to be removed from the Browse Window for the desired effect.

Is there any easier way to do the same?

With BW8, Text Comparison Settings of Tools|Viewing Text highlighted appropriate differences on Parallel Versions Window, but not with BW9. Or did I miss something?

Thanks.

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 11:13 PM
With BW8, Text Comparison Settings of Tools|Viewing Text highlighted appropriate differences on Parallel Versions Window, but not with BW9. Or did I miss something?

Thanks.

Yaku, I wonder if this is a bug. You may want to try reporting it. If that worked in BW8, I can't think of a good reason why they would have disabled it in BW9.

Mark Eddy
08-09-2011, 12:45 AM
With BibleWorks 9, one way to compare two versions in browse mode with appropriate difference highlighting, e.g. NIV and NIVO, is (1) to have NIV and NIVO as the only English version on Browse Window, (2) toggle on Toggle Difference Highlighting on Browse Window, and (3) choose NIV and NIVO on Parallel Versions Window of Tools|Viewing Text, or type “p niv nivo” on CL..

It appears that the versions on Parallel Versions Window are also compared with all the other same language versions on Browse Window for difference highlighting. That is why all the other versions have to be removed from the Browse Window for the desired effect.
#2 above is your problem. Be sure to untoggle Toggle Difference Highlighting. I forget how to do that, but once I did it by mistake, and everything in BW9 was highlighted. When I untoggled it, everything went back to being controled by the Text Comparison Settings, which is what you want.

Is there any easier way to do the same?
Yes

Do your comparison in BW9 exactly as you did in BW8 (In fact, if you migrated your BW8 settings, they should already be in BW9). All you have to do is edit them to add a comparison between NIV and NIVO.
Mark Eddy

Michael Hanel
08-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Do your comparison in BW9 exactly as you did in BW8 (In fact, if you migrated your BW8 settings, they should already be in BW9). All you have to do is edit them to add a comparison between NIV and NIVO.
Mark Eddy

Mark, were you successfully able to get text comparison highlighting to work while in the parallel windows mode, because it didn't show up for me. It does in the normal browse window, but not if I then type "p niv nivo" in the command line.

Hmm, or maybe this is the reason. If you compare two versions using the Text Comparison setting, the highlights only show up if the browse window is in browse mode with those versions showing. If you toggle to the reading mode with only one version showing, the highlighting disappears. I can't remember if this is how it should work or not...

Mark Eddy
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Apparently the Text comparison settings work only in the browse window, not in the parallel versions or synopsis tool windows. Perhaps someone could make a request for a new feature, to carry the text comparison highlighting into these other windows.
Mark Eddy

Yaku Lee
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I made suggestions to “I wish the program could do this …” of “Submit a support request,” to the effect that (1) on Parallel Versions Window, comparison for Difference Highlighting be confined to the versions on this Window, and (2) allow the settings on Text Comparison Settings to be effective on Parallel Versions Window, as well as on Browse Window, as in BW8.