PDA

View Full Version : BW8 Notes Tab-Cannot find check box for verse or chapter note???

Joan Korte
08-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I am working in BW8. I have tried everything I know to do. My notes tab in BW8 does not have all the buttons or words or boxes that are referred to in Help on Notes. There is no box to check for verse or chapter notes. No auto load or manual load. No display of anything that should appear on that line. I attached a shot from the Study Guide on Notes which has the line I do not have.

I have all the other buttons displayed, i.e."All buttons" through "Hebrew unicode font". What am I missing? I checked the View menu, the Options dialogue for Notes. I have a whole row missing. Obviously, I must have checked or unchecked something. I have been trying things for a few hours now and am dizzy :confused:

Ken Neighoff
08-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I am working in BW8. I have tried everything I know to do. My notes tab in BW8 does not have all the buttons or words or boxes that are referred to in Help on Notes. There is no box to check for verse or chapter notes. No auto load or manual load. No display of anything that should appear on that line. I attached a shot from the Study Guide on Notes which has the line I do not have.

I have all the other buttons displayed, i.e."All buttons" through "Hebrew unicode font". What am I missing? I checked the View menu, the Options dialogue for Notes. I have a whole row missing. Obviously, I must have checked or unchecked something. I have been trying things for a few hours now and am dizzy :confused:

Joan,

To get to your verse notes, uncheck the box in front of the word chapter. Having the check in the chapter box means you are taking chapter notes, without it you are taking notes on the current verse.

SCSaunders
08-06-2011, 12:52 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/6ok6ya.png

http://i54.tinypic.com/25p7blj.png

Joan Korte
08-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I have checked what you showed to check in Notes options. Still no boxes to check and no auto load. Compare this shot which is how my system looks compared to how it should look above which is a screenshot of BibleWorks StudyGuides How to Use Notes. 899

Joan Korte
08-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Joan,

To get to your verse notes, uncheck the box in front of the word chapter. Having the check in the chapter box means you are taking chapter notes, without it you are taking notes on the current verse.

Ken,
I don't have a box in front of the word chapter or even the word chapter. I think my second screen shot shows how my system looks. As far as I can tell, I am missing the line under the word Notes on the tab that should start with "c:\programfiles\bibleworks 8\ and then have a box and then a word Chapter and then Autoload and Load. I seem to be missing a line that is part of the upper menu in Notes. I am not sure what it is actually called.

I hope I am communicating so you can comprehend what my system looks like. Thanks.

Ken Neighoff
08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Ken,
I don't have a box in front of the word chapter or even the word chapter. I think my second screen shot shows how my system looks. As far as I can tell, I am missing the line under the word Notes on the tab that should start with "c:\programfiles\bibleworks 8\ and then have a box and then a word Chapter and then Autoload and Load. I seem to be missing a line that is part of the upper menu in Notes. I am not sure what it is actually called.

I hope I am communicating so you can comprehend what my system looks like. Thanks.

Joan,

I thought your first screen shot, was from your computer, not the help file.

From your screen shot, I can see that the line you need is missing. I am sorry, but I do not know how to get that line back.

SCSaunders
08-06-2011, 06:55 PM
... I thought your first screen shot, was from your computer, not the help file.

From your screen shot, I can see that the line you need is missing. I am sorry, but I do not know how to get that line back.Ditto.

From chapter 50 in the BibleWorks Help, it appears your "status bar" is not visible on your notes tab.

That being the case, I got nothing.........

You may consider a "Hail Mary" and insert your install CD/DVD, using the "Repair" option. FWIW.

Joan Korte
08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
If Bibleworks Tech Support frequents the forums, please address this issue. Thanks!
And thanks to all who tried!!

arggem
08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Joan,

While the tech people do occasionally stop by the forums, this is basically a users group. You should contact support directly at service@bibleworks.com .

I don't have BW8 up and running any more, so I can't check it out, but in your screen shot you don't have the status bar on the bottom either. Have you tried right-clicking and seeing if there is any option to toggle the status bar? It might be under "View." In BW9 you can toggle the bottom one, but the top is always there. Maybe it's different in 8.

If you can't find a solution, please contact BW Support. Again, the forums is not the right avenue to solicit official help.

MGVH
08-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I had this happen to me once quite a while ago... I'm trying to remember how I fixed it. If you want to try what I think will do it:

Close BW
In your Bibleworks8 (or 9) directory, make a copy of these 2 files: bweditc.ini and bweditn.ini
NOTE: You will NOT lose any of your notes. You may lose some of your settings you created for taking notes (fonts, font size...).
Delete those 2 files
Restart BW > It should recreate those 2 files w/ default settings

Hope that works.

Joan Korte
08-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Joan,

While the tech people do occasionally stop by the forums, this is basically a users group. You should contact support directly at service@bibleworks.com .

If you can't find a solution, please contact BW Support. Again, the forums is not the right avenue to solicit official help.

Arggem,

Yep. I do know the forums is a users group and not the place to contact tech support; however, some BibleWorks staff do pop into the forums occasionally and since it is the weekend and I have posted several screenshots, I thought I might at least try this venue before I compose an email with attachments to "service".

I am able to toggle the status bar and toolbar on and off through the right click context menu but that doesn't give me the line at the top I am looking for.

I do appreciate all the users who have given me comments and tried to help!

Joan Korte
08-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I had this happen to me once quite a while ago... I'm trying to remember how I fixed it. If you want to try what I think will do it:

Close BW
In your Bibleworks8 (or 9) directory, make a copy of these 2 files: bweditc.ini and bweditn.ini
NOTE: You will NOT lose any of your notes. You may lose some of your settings you created for taking notes (fonts, font size...).
Delete those 2 files
Restart BW > It should recreate those 2 files w/ default settings
Hope that works.

OK, but one question, is what you are saying, to copy and paste the two files in the same folder as I found them and so they now take on the name of "copy of bweditc.ini" and "copy of bweditn.ini" (which is what I just did) and then delete those two files or the original two ini files?

Thanks, mgvh.

Jim Wert
08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Joan,

Delete the original files (names). The point of the exercise is to have backup copies in case you need them in the future (to show support). When BW cannot find those files, it will create new ones with default values, hopefully clearing up your problem, but at the cost of losing any customization you may have applied in your use of the editor.

--Jim

Joan Korte
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I deleted the two files after backing them up as suggested. Still no boxes, no load or auto load. But the status bar at the bottom is giving me different information, i.e. the location of the particular note file, which is good. Started, re-started BW8. I'm done at this point.

Mark Eddy
08-07-2011, 05:25 PM
If I remember correctly there were a few bugs with the display of the tabs with various updates of the BW8 .exe file. Do you have the latest patch? The display problems (when I had them) of not seeing the top line of the tab seemed to stem from switching between tabs, and/or was due to the width of the tabs. Your screen shot shows that your analysis window (tabs) is pretty narrow. The display might work better if you make it wider. Also if you switch to a different tab, close BW, and then open it again and switch to the notes tab, the problem might just disappear. At least it did for me a few times.
Mark Eddy

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
If I remember correctly there were a few bugs with the display of the tabs with various updates of the BW8 .exe file. Do you have the latest patch? The display problems (when I had them) of not seeing the top line of the tab seemed to stem from switching between tabs, and/or was due to the width of the tabs. Your screen shot shows that your analysis window (tabs) is pretty narrow. The display might work better if you make it wider. Also if you switch to a different tab, close BW, and then open it again and switch to the notes tab, the problem might just disappear. At least it did for me a few times.
Mark Eddy

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the ideas; I'll try them all. Latest patch? Yes. Made window wider? Yes. Switch between tabs? Re-start BW?
Still, nothing. My last resort is to Repair. Which could not hurt anything. Thanks, again, Mark.

Since I submitted an email to service, I will wait to hear from them, in hopes, there is an easier fix then Repair, and having never used Repair, I don't know what to expect as far as processes.

MBushell
08-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the ideas; I'll try them all. Latest patch? Yes. Made window wider? Yes. Switch between tabs? Re-start BW?
Still, nothing. My last resort is to Repair. Which could not hurt anything. Thanks, again, Mark.

From your images it looks like there is a screen refresh issue. Please exit the program and send your bw800.ini file (in the BibleWorks directory) to texhnical support at service@bibleworks.com. Then we'll see if we can reproduce it.

Mike

MBushell
08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
If Bibleworks Tech Support frequents the forums, please address this issue. Thanks!
And thanks to all who tried!!

Hi Joan,

To have the problem logged into the system you need to report it to texh support directly. I know it is a pain but we have a bug tracking system that likes to have things entered that way with user contact info, system info, and so on. They can serve you more fully if they are in direct contact with you rather than by word of mouth.

One more thing I noticed, in your image it shows version 8.0.15e. The latest version is up to 19i so it looks like you may be running a very old version. After you got the updates, what did the version number show in the lower left hand corner? You problem may be an updater problem rather than a program problem.

Mike

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I could not be more confused. I have checked updates for BW8 and there are none. I have 8.0.015z.1 That is the latest I can find and that is through the program Check for updates. What information do I need to send in to service? I did send an email but if I send another one do you need screenshots to help? I don't know.

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Joan, Please, check the analysis tab and make a right click, then click in Toggle Analysis Window Heading, then open the notes. May be this may help you.
Blessings!

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Joan, Please, check the analysis tab and make a right click, then click in Toggle Analysis Window Heading, then open the notes. May be this may help you.
Blessings!

Felix,
I have to ask this first "Are you really an angel?" :D I cannot believe how simple the solution but it took a trained eye and someone with experience. You have made my day!!! Yes, I have my boxes back!!! Who would think that toggling the size of the analysis tab heading would affect the Notes heading because it doesn't affect the X-Refs.

I have had a bad day and this was a bright spot.

God Bless, Felix,
Joan

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Joan, I am happy to see that you solved your problem. No, I am not an angel!:o. Enjoy Bibleworks. It is an amazing program.
God bless you.

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
The Word Analysis Context Menu

If you right click on Word Analysis Window text a context menu will open to provide access to a variety of Word Analysis options and functions. The options are as follows:

Copy Analysis Window Text to Clipboard - If you have selected text in the Word Analysis Window this option will copy the text to the Windows clipboard.
Copy Analysis Window Text to Editor - If you have selected text in the Word Analysis Window this option will copy the text to the BibleWorks editor.
Update Only When Shift Key Depressed - Normally the Word Analysis Window text will be updated as you move the mouse unless the Shift key is depressed. This option reverses that behavior.
Toggle Analysis Window Heading - This option turns on and off the heading in the Analysis Window. This setting also affects the heading in the Notes and Editor tabs

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, you learned something new today! So I. That's good! I am learning new things about this program every day. But I have a question, are you using BW8 or BW9? In this respect both work the same, but I prefer BW9. This version is really great!

MGVH
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Way to go, Felix! That's a good one to remember. If Michael Bushell from BW sees this, it might be a good thing to put on the to-do list of adding that right-click option (Toggle Analysis Window Heading) to the Notes and the Editor tabs.

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, you learned something new today! So I. That's good! I am learning new things about this program every day. But I have a question, are you using BW8 or BW9? In this respect both work the same, but I prefer BW9. This version is really great!

Felix, I have 8 on my desktop and 9 on my laptop. I am in the process of shifting to 9 on both. On a real old machine, I have 7. So, note taking is tricky now and that's why I was into the Notes tab in the first place.

MBushell
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Way to go, Felix! That's a good one to remember. If Michael Bushell from BW sees this, it might be a good thing to put on the to-do list of adding that right-click option (Toggle Analysis Window Heading) to the Notes and the Editor tabs.

Thanks Felix. I didn't even remember that option!

Joan, I would still recommend contacting service@bibleworks.com about your version number. Your updater doen't seem to be working. Give them a couple of days though. They are really backlogged from the new release.

Mike

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Felix, you definitely do win the prize. I was stumped by this one too since I thought the heading was a fixed option!

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank you to all of you for your compliments, but I just found it this morning, and I am so glad to help and contribute in some way.

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Felix, I have 8 on my desktop and 9 on my laptop. I am in the process of shifting to 9 on both. On a real old machine, I have 7. So, note taking is tricky now and that's why I was into the Notes tab in the first place.

Joan, do you know that you can migrate all your notes from previous versions to BW9 through "Migrate Settings and Files"?
Open Tools, then find "Importing/exporting information" then make click in "Migrate Settings and Files."

I transfered all of my notes from version 8 to version 9 in that way. Hope you may too.

Joan Korte
08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks Felix. I didn't even remember that option!

Joan, I would still recommend contacting service@bibleworks.com about your version number. Your updater doen't seem to be working. Give them a couple of days though. They are really backlogged from the new release.

Mike

Well, I manually updated to 19i today so I do think it is up to date, now. And yes I did tell them my updater wasn't working right. Thanks!

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Joan, do you know that you can migrate all your notes from previous versions to BW9 through "Migrate Settings and Files"?
Open Tools, then find "Importing/exporting information" then make click in "Migrate Settings and Files."

I transfered all of my notes from version 8 to version 9 in that way. Hope you may too.

Since we're talking about migrating settings and files here, what is the best way to migrates notes and settings from one PC to another? To be even more precise, it would probably be from a BW8 installation on a Windows XP machine to a BW9 installation on a Windows 7 PC. Grateful for the counsel.

Felix Brito
08-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Since we're talking about migrating settings and files here, what is the best way to migrates notes and settings from one PC to another? To be even more precise, it would probably be from a BW8 installation on a Windows XP machine to a BW9 installation on a Windows 7 PC. Grateful for the counsel.

You are completely right. Mine was a different situation. I transfered from Version 8 to Version 9 in the same computer. Thanks for clarify this.

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
No problem, Felix. My question was for anyone, really. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to the best way to transport/migrate files from a BW8 installation on one PC (in this case, Windows XP) to another machine (with Windows 7). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
No problem, Felix. My question was for anyone, really. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to the best way to transport/migrate files from a BW8 installation on one PC (in this case, Windows XP) to another machine (with Windows 7). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Irving, perhaps you want to check out this thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5015-Transferring-Settings). You don't have to permanently sync files, but it would be one way to move all your settings from place A to place B.

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks Michael. A recent thread too.

Two questions prompted by the other thread:

1. If I were to copy over all the .ini and .swc files, will that also migrate my notes? Or will those have to be copied over as well?

2. The two synching programs that were referenced in the other thread - Dropbox and Synch SE - are they freeware?

Grateful for any info you've got.

Irving

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks Michael. A recent thread too.

Two questions prompted by the other thread:

1. If I were to copy over all the .ini and .swc files, will that also migrate my notes? Or will those have to be copied over as well?

2. The two synching programs that were referenced in the other thread - Dropbox and Synch SE - are they freeware?

Grateful for any info you've got.

Irving

Your notes can be stored in any folder you want, so no copying those files wouldn't copy your notes, you'd have to copy the folder that contains all of your notes. For instance, I set up my notes folder in my My Documents folder in Windows because that way when I back files up, I can back up the My Documents folder and it gets things like my BW notes. So wherever you put your notes, go to that folder and copy them over to your other computer. The only potential problem you will have is if you took some notes on one computer and some notes on another and say you have notes for Genesis 1 on both computers that are different. There is no easy way (that I know of) to merge those. When you copy from computer A to computer B if the file is already there it will ask if you want to overwrite the files. In this case you wouldn't want to do that until you copied over by hand whatever you wanted from one to the other. So that's the only real snag.

Dropbox is free, I can email you an invitation if you want. You don't need an invitation to join, but if you use one it gives me and you an extra 250 MB of storage space (I believe it starts you with 2.25 GB then). What Dropbox can do is keep a folder that is automatically synced between computers. So for instance you could make your BW notes in the Dropbox folder and then your notes are automatically going to be syncing between both computers (assuming both are connected to the internet). It's not too hard to set up all you do is copy files from your old notes folder to this new Dropbox folder and then tell BW that this is your new Notes folder.

I believe the other program that was mentioned is one that costs money, though there might be a trial version.

But otherwise if you just want a one time sync, then just copy over the INI and SWC files and that should do you.

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey Michael,

Thanks so much for a helpful and thorough answer. I hate to do this to you, but your post prompted this one more question. If I tell BW that Dropbox is to be my new notes folder, I guess that would mean that my notes will no longer be stored locally (i.e., on my PC). If true, the difficulty with that would be that during those times that one doesn't have internet access (on account of things like travel, service outages, etc.), one would not have access to their notes. Am I correct? Thanks again for your help.

Irving

arggem
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Dropbox creates a locally stored folder called, creatively enough, My Dropbox. It is also stored in a cloud and any other computers you link it to. But, yes, it is also on your compuer.

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Thank you, Arggem. Good to know.

If you don't mind, may I ask what is referred to as "the cloud." I hear that term in a lot of tech advertising lately.

Michael Hanel
08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Thank you, Arggem. Good to know.

If you don't mind, may I ask what is referred to as "the cloud." I hear that term in a lot of tech advertising lately.

The cloud = any remote server that is accessible by the internet. If something is only available on the cloud that means it's never really on your computer, you're only using it via the internet and if the internet left, so would whatever you're doing. So not having a hard drive and only using the cloud is great just as long as there is internet.

The other side of it is that if it is on the cloud then in theory the files are fair game for anyone out there. Whoever is operating your cloud has access to them and since it's connected to the internet in theory anyone can also access it (this is what hacking is). Obviously there are security measures like encryption and password protection, but it's all part of the conversation of what the cloud entails.
(The cloud is being pushed as the next "thing" in computing and I'm not really a fan of it, but marketing will make the new market, so it is probably something you'll want to become familiar with.)

But yes, as was said, the Dropbox folder always remains on your computer, but it is mirrored in the cloud so that your other computer can get the same files on it. Or if you're not using a synced computer, you can also access your Dropbox files simply via your web browser.

arggem
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
The cloud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing) ... a.k.a. somewhere in cyberspace, but not on your local computer.

ISalzman
08-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks much to both of you, Michael and Arggem.

Irving

Greg Ward
08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
For moving the various BW user files to a new install (without the could technology discussed above) see:

http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/ikb/questions.php?questionid=74

ISalzman
08-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks very much, Greg.