PDA

View Full Version : Installing BW 4 on XP

Judy Oakley
10-11-2004, 11:24 PM
I was given a copy of BW 4.0 (Revision 4) by a friend who bought BW 6.0. I am trying to install it on XP, no service packs. The installation window comes up and I click "Install", the disk whirs a few seconds, then the window disappears and I get nothing else. If I bring up Task Manager while doing this process, I can see the BW Setup task appear and disappear also. I have turned off virus protection.

Is BW 4 supposed to install and run on XP?

Thanks for any help.
Judy Oakley

Gontroppo
10-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Hey Jude!
[I always wanted to say that]

I don't want to make it bad
but I'm afraid I have a sad song
and can't make it better!

The thing is, when we upgrade BibleWorks, we get a very special price and we are not permitted to give or sell our previous copy away.

BibleWorks producers expect us to buy a new copy at the non-upgrade price, if we give the current copy away.

David McKay

Judy Oakley
10-12-2004, 06:13 PM
I always hated that song. I've had countless people sing it to me - that and calling me "Annie Oakley".

So, how do you know whether my friend upgraded or paid for a non-upgraded version of BW 6.0? How does the installation program know? It doesn't.

I know my friend had installed it on another machine besides his own before giving it to me. Maybe that was illegal too, but it did work.

I don't think this is a licensing issue. It sounds like either user error or incompatability. Assuming BW 4 should install on XP (home edition), how can I do it the "right" way?

Thanks,
Judy Oakley

Joe Fleener
10-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Judy,

I feel very confident that David was just trying to make sure that you were aware of the licensing issues. Many people do not realize that when you upgrade a software product (this is for any software product not just BibleWorks), you do not receive a completely new license but rather you upgrade the license you currently have.

Therefore, I have 4 different BW versions on CD sitting around, but I cannot give any of them away since I actually only own 1 license. This is true for my 3 versions of Quicken, and several other software products I own.

With that said, you are correct on install BibleWorks does not know nor will it (they) find out whether the version being installed was one that was upgraded or not, we are on our own integrity.

I am very thankful for the hard work that the folks at BW do and for the comparatively low cost of this fantastic product. I would hate to see anything happen to jeopardize that.

After all of that. At one time I had 4.0 installed on a Windows XP system and do not recall any problems with the install. Do you have XP SP2? This would be a new monkey wrench in the mix.

Judy Oakley
10-12-2004, 09:32 PM
David and Joe,

Thank you for your gracious replies. I admit I didn't think about the licensing issue.

I suppose my question is, then, how can I make the copy of BW I have legal? If my friend bought a new license for BW 6, does that solve the problem? (I can ask him when I see him Sunday). What if he just upgraded? What about all those copies of BW I see for sale on eBay and Amazon?

Beyond that, I still can't get it to install on XP Home Edition. Running it from disk displays the same behavior.

I do appreciate responses. I realize these are user-supported, volunteer forums.

Judy Oakley

Joe Fleener
10-12-2004, 09:46 PM
David and Joe,

Thank you for your gracious replies. I admit I didn't think about the licensing issue.
You are welcome.

I suppose my question is, then, how can I make the copy of BW I have legal? If my friend bought a new license for BW 6, does that solve the problem? (I can ask him when I see him Sunday). What if he just upgraded? What about all those copies of BW I see for sale on eBay and Amazon?
Yes, if your friend purchased a new license for his BW 6, then you are clear to own and install th version 4 you have. A nice gift! :D

If he did not then there is no way to make that copy legal. You would need to purchase BW yourself (or ask your friend to buy it for you :))!

There are a lot of things on eBay and Amazon that are not legal...

Beyond that, I still can't get it to install on XP Home Edition. Running it from disk displays the same behavior.

I do appreciate responses. I realize these are user-supported, volunteer forums.

Judy Oakley
Beyond all of this, I wish I could give more help. You may want to see one of the FAQ's in the support section it is not exactly what you are seeing but the solution may help:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270

Your other option is to contact BW support directly.