PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Greek texts

LarryW
08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I barely know any Greek and no Hebrew and use BW9 for my own personal studies. There are so many Greek versions (ie BGT, BNT, BNM, etc) and would like some suggestions on which primary versions to use. I assume I should use those with morphology but I don't know enough to know that the differences between the various texts are. As an example, between UBS and Westcott-Hort and BW.

Can anyone explain some of the differences? Any links would also be appreciated. I've in the past used primarily the BW versions, WHM and BYM.

Thank you in advance,
Larry

Michael Hanel
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Larry,

Your question is a tricky one because there are people who definitely have strong opinions on which is the "right" text. It's pretty hard to summarize what each one is, but if you check out Wikipedia there are actually some really good articles about the different versions.

In general though versions that end in M are morphology versions. Those really aren't versions I would have active in the browse window, but BibleWorks uses them to give you the proper lemma, parsing, etc. and to allow you to do searching by the same.

BGT is basically the LXX (Rahlfs) and the Nestle-Aland 27 text.
BNT is New Testament only, so it only has Nestle-Aland text.
GNT is the USB4 text
(For all intents and purposes UBS4 and NA27 are the same text)

WHO/WHT is the Westcott-Hort (WH) version, it is a precursor to the Nestle-Aland text and some favor it because of how it decided textual critical choices.

BYZ is known as the Byzantine Greek NT and it (generally) adopts readings that are found in the majority of Greek manuscripts (this is a different philosophy than WH and NA27)

SCR and STE represent two different editions that try to reproduce the textus receptus which is essentially the Greek NT that was used by the translators of the KJV.

TIS, TRG2, and VST are other critical editions that are close to WH not necessarily because they choose the same readings or have the same ideology, but because they were early-modern attempts at constructing an eclectic critical text.

MGVH
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Building on Michael's notes, here is my summary of Greek texts w/ which someone should be familiar:

The Textus Receptus (using either Stephanus of 1550 or Scrivener of 1894 [which is based on Theodore Beza's 1598]); this is the text that reflects the basis for the King James Version >> STE or SCR
The Alexandrian text best represented by Westcott & Hort of 1881 >> WHT (or Tischendorf's of 1869-72 >> TIS)
A modern eclectic text, namely the Nestle-Aland 27th or United Bible Society 4th >> BGT, BNT, GNT
The Majority Text = Byzantine Text as reflected in Robinson & Pierpont of 2005 >> BYZ (or BFT which is identical to the BYZ)

Additionally, you can download the SBL GNT available on Michael's site (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=649). This is another modern 'critical' edition in that it tries to weigh a best reading among Westcott & Hort, Tregelles (TRG2), Robinson-Pierpont, and a constructed Greek text behind the NIV.

LarryW
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Thank you to both of you. Very helpful.

Larry