PDA

View Full Version : Changing default Lexicon

Cambron
07-28-2011, 01:52 PM
When I use the Lexicon Browser (Resources- Greek/Hebrew Lexicons) in BW 8, I usually need Brown/Driver/Briggs, but the Browser ist generally set on Liddel/Scott. Where can I set BDB as Default Lexicon?
Thanks!
Cambron

Lee
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Cambron,

There is an easy way to set your default lexicon, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. You set your default lexicon within either the Hebrew or Greek, not one for both.

When you have the "Resources" tab selected in the analysis window, when you have the cursor over the Hebrew text, it should only show the Hebrew lexicons--Liddell-Scott should not be showing at all.

Lee

Cambron
07-29-2011, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=Lee;25938]Cambron,

There is an easy way to set your default lexicon, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. You set your default lexicon within either the Hebrew or Greek, not one for both.

When you have the "Resources" tab selected in the analysis window, when you have the cursor over the Hebrew text, it should only show the Hebrew lexicons--Liddell-Scott should not be showing at all.

Lee[/QUOTE

Thanks, Lee,
That isn't my problem. When correcting Hebrew or exegesis homework, I sometimes need to look up words not in the text and open the window from the Resources Menu. That always opens with Liddle/Scott, which isn't much help with Hebrew;)
Yours, Cambron

Michael Hanel
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Lee,
That isn't my problem. When correcting Hebrew or exegesis homework, I sometimes need to look up words not in the text and open the window from the Resources Menu. That always opens with Liddle/Scott, which isn't much help with Hebrew;)
Yours, Cambron

I *think* (but am not 100% sure) that that behavior can't be changed, you could try contacting BibleWorks directly for confirmation of that at service@bibleworks.com.

Jim Wert
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Cambron,

This doesn't solve your problem, but it may be more convenient.

When the lexicon browser opens to Liddel/Scott, invoke BDB via the Lexicons menu item.
Select one of the entries in the left column, such as Aleph, and click the button to the right of "Reload" -- it has a dot over a down arrow -- to save that entry in the lexicon history.
Close the lexicon brower.

Now when you open the lexicon browser it wil still be at Liddel/Scott, but you can click on the lexicon history list (immediately to the right of the button you clicked above), click on your BDB entry, and you will now be in BDB.

Yes, it is still the same number of clicks, but it may feel a little more friendly.

--Jim

Mark Eddy
08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Perhaps I misunderstand, but it is easy to choose the default Lexicon for the Lexicon Browser. As Jim Wert said, you just click on "Lexicons" and choose from the drop-down list. That becomes the default lexicon for the lexicon browser. When you close the browser and open it again, the last lexicon you used should open up, unless BW crashed and does not record the lexicon you were using. Apparently there is a small bug in this process. When you open the lexicon browser by right-clicking on a word in the browse window and choosing "Look up lemma in lexicon browser," then change the lexicon, close it, and re-open it, it will open with the new lexicon. For some reason this does not currently carry over to opening the lexicon browser from the icon. For what it's worth, on my computer the lexicon browser icon now opens to HALOT all the time. I'll report this to the programmers.
Mark Eddy
P.S. I have noticed that on my XP computer, if I put the cursor over a Greek database the default Greek lexicon opens, and if I put my cursor over a Hebrew database the default Hebrew database opens. So, if you don't want LS to open, be sure to put your cursor over WTT first, then open the lexicon browser. But this does not seem to work on my Windows 7 computer.

Nick Laurence
11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a similar problem to Cambron, and the answer offered by Mark Eddy offered above doesn't seem to work for me (I wish it did). I almost always want to use HALOT in the lexicon window, but it always reverts back to Friberg (which I never use), and it bugs me slightly that I have to change this to HALOT each time I launch the lexicon window, even if I relaunch the lexicon window within the same session of BW use (i.e. after having closed it precipitously). This seems not to correspond to the behaviour Mark Eddy experiences. I'm using BW9. Any suggestions?

Lee
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a similar problem to Cambron, and the answer offered by Mark Eddy offered above doesn't seem to work for me (I wish it did). I almost always want to use HALOT in the lexicon window, but it always reverts back to Friberg (which I never use), and it bugs me slightly that I have to change this to HALOT each time I launch the lexicon window, even if I relaunch the lexicon window within the same session of BW use (i.e. after having closed it precipitously). This seems not to correspond to the behaviour Mark Eddy experiences. I'm using BW9. Any suggestions?

Nick, I'm pretty sure you are confusing your default Hebrew lexicon with your default Greek lexicon. When your cursor is over Hebrew text in the browse window, it should not ever show a Greek lexicon such as Friberg, but whatever your default Hebrew lexicon is. Are you sure that your cursor is over Hebrew text when the Friberg lexicon is displaying under the analysis tab?

- Lee

Nick Laurence
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the response, but it's not a case of hovering the cursor over a word. I am opening the Lexicon window: Resources dropdown menu > Greek/Hebrew Lexicons > new window appears with searchable lexicons, but defaults to Friberg. This is what I'd like to default to HALOT ( I know that's onlly a couple more clicks, but it's slightly annoying given I never use Friberg).

Lee
11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the response, but it's not a case of hovering the cursor over a word. I am opening the Lexicon window: Resources dropdown menu > Greek/Hebrew Lexicons > new window appears with searchable lexicons, but defaults to Friberg. This is what I'd like to default to HALOT ( I know that's onlly a couple more clicks, but it's slightly annoying given I never use Friberg).

Even still, if you are in WTT, the dropdown menu (or clicking on the lexicons icon) should bring up whatever Hebrew lexicon you used most recently. Just now, I tried toggling between WTT and BYZ, and every time I had WTT selected as my display version HALOT came up; and every time I had BYZ selected, BDAG came up. Do you have a Hebrew version selected as your display version?

EDIT: I take that back--when I use the dropdown, I get BDAG whether I'm in WTT or BYZ. For some reason, I don't have that problem when I click on the "Lexicons" icon. It sounds like a bug, but for now you can get around it by clicking the "Lexicons" icon at the top, about 1/3 from the left.

Nick Laurence
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I'd never used the button before (can never remember what the buttons represent!). So, following your suggestion, I've just given this a go. Whilst at first it gave the same behaviour (Friberg again), mucking about in HALOT a little, whilst it didn't change initially (still gave Friberg), it is now giving HALOT; don't know what I've done, but clicking this button gets me into my long-sought-after lexicon (at least for now). So thanks for the help, I think!

Lee
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Glad to help--I think!