PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Settings

mnpebm
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I searched the forums, but didn't find what I thought was a clear and easy way to transfer settings:

Say I setup my search and display versions, copy parameters, etc. What is the simplest way to then transfer these settings to a different computer?

I tried simply copying and pasting the BW90.ini, but that didn't work.

Thanks all in advance,
Mike

Michael Hanel
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I searched the forums, but didn't find what I thought was a clear and easy way to transfer settings:

Say I setup my search and display versions, copy parameters, etc. What is the simplest way to then transfer these settings to a different computer?

I tried simply copying and pasting the BW90.ini, but that didn't work.

Thanks all in advance,
Mike

If you want to transfer your settings to another computer there are a number of different files you'd want to copy.

Not just the BW900.ini but all .ini files should be copied to your other computer.
You should also copy .swc files from the init folder.

That covers most of the settings. If you've changed version orders and stuff, you'd also want to copy those files over (those are .vdo files and found in your \init\ folder)

mnpebm
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks Michael.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I will use an automated backup program to sync those items to "Dropbox" and then to my other computuer.

Mike

Michael Hanel
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Michael.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I will use an automated backup program to sync those items to "Dropbox" and then to my other computuer.

Mike

It's possible I missed a few, but the ini and swc are your big two classes of files. If there's something you think that didn't transfer just post and we can see what else there is to copy.

FredGreco
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Michael.

Mike
Mike,
What are you using to accomplish this? I assume that you have a program that backs up/syncs the files to a Dropbox folder on one end, and then on the another end does the reverse? I'm curious because I use Dropbox as well.

mnpebm
07-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I use a program called: Syncback SE. It allows you to select only the files you want (ini, svc, for example) and has many features. Been using it for years.

You setup a profile, choose the source and destination directories and then which files (or all of them) you want copied. It has options like, "copy," "sync," "mirror," etc.
Worth the money!

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html

calvary
07-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I'll give a hearty AMEN! to the Synchback program. I too have used it for many years. There's probably not a better backup program available.

Dave

Dale A. Brueggemann
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the backup recommendation of SynchBack SE. Just installed a trial version and am mirroring my thousands of photos as a test run. Almost certain to buy it.

Lee
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
If you want to transfer your settings to another computer there are a number of different files you'd want to copy.

Not just the BW900.ini but all .ini files should be copied to your other computer.
You should also copy .swc files from the init folder.

That covers most of the settings. If you've changed version orders and stuff, you'd also want to copy those files over (those are .vdo files and found in your \init\ folder)

This is a related question to the O.P. Though on the same computer, is this the same process I need to follow to get my settings I had on BW8 to BW9?

Michael Hanel
09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
This is a related question to the O.P. Though on the same computer, is this the same process I need to follow to get my settings I had on BW8 to BW9?

If you're moving from BW8 to BW9, once you install BW9 you can go to Tools | Importing/Exporting information | Migrate settings and files. It will try to transfer as much stuff from BW8 to BW9 as possible.

Lee
09-21-2011, 04:06 PM
If you're moving from BW8 to BW9, once you install BW9 you can go to Tools | Importing/Exporting information | Migrate settings and files. It will try to transfer as much stuff from BW8 to BW9 as possible.

Thanks, Michael--you're always a big help.