PDA

View Full Version : Problems with BW9 Module Activation

Gospelizer
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I have legally installed BW9 on three computers. My old modules (e.g. NIVO, BDAG, etc.) installed fine on two installations and were activated via internet. I am unable to activate most of my modules via internet for the third installation (my new ESV Study Bible activated just fine...it is the older ones that will not activate). Any ideas? Anybody else having the same issue?

Michael Hanel
07-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I have legally installed BW9 on three computers. My old modules (e.g. NIVO, BDAG, etc.) installed fine on two installations and were activated via internet. I am unable to activate most of my modules via internet for the third installation (my new ESV Study Bible activated just fine...it is the older ones that will not activate). Any ideas? Anybody else having the same issue?

If you haven't already, your best bet is to contact service@bibleworks.com. So in your other installations if you go to File | Activate Database these modules don't even show up or they show up, but say "Not activated"?

MBushell
07-23-2011, 01:04 AM

BibleWorks allows you to install on a specific number of machines with automatic activation over the internet. Modules may also be installed on multiple machines. The number of permitted installations is for obvious reasons unpublished. This policy was intended primarily to allow for people who replace or upgrade their computers and to be family friendly. Installation on more than two computers (a desktop and notebook for example) outside of a family group is not a scenario envisioned by the policy. My guess is that you have exceeded the permitted number of installs for the older modules. What you should do is contact service@bibleworks.com and explain your situation. They can issue new codes or make other changes as warranted.

No one likes activation. I hate it myself. But the reality is that piracy is rampant. Before activation most modules were installed more often illegally than legally. We are sorry for the inconvenience but we have to work with some sad constraints to stay in business.

God bless,
Mike

Gospelizer
07-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Hey, Mike and Mike! Thanks for the replies. Mike B, what I was referring to is the quote presented on the BW knowledgebase:

"...use the BibleWorks software and databases: (a) on a single, non-networked computer, or (b) on several non-networked computers provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time, or (c) on several computers in a single local area network, provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time..." (see the complete End-User License Agreement here (http://www.bibleworks.com/downloads/EndUserLicenseAgreement.doc) or in the BibleWorks Online Help, Chapter 49)

My situation would be covered by "(b)."

Yes, I despise activation as well...but I also understand.

Mike H., they show up as "not activated." When I attempt activation over the internet I get a message that says that the attempt failed and that I am to try manual activation. By the way, it will not let me run my old modules in trial mode either.

Tech. support tried calling me yesterday and I was at the gym making my cardiologist happy and I missed the call! NUTS!

I emailed the info. a few days ago, so hopefully I will hear from someone next week.

Thanks again for your replies! LOVE THE NEW MSS MODULE!

LarryW
07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm glad you posted about this. I installed on my two notebooks and was going to put on my desktop but see I too should contact BW. I haven't tried to install on desktop yet to be sure all my notes and modules showed up on the new installations.

FWIW. The installations went very easily. The hardest part was deciding which modules I wanted to install.

Larry

Gospelizer
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
I haven't tried to install on desktop yet to be sure all my notes and modules showed up on the new installations.

Sounds exactly like my situation. Let us know what happens when you do install on your desktop.

Not sure if this affected it, but I made a couple of installation errors (long story) and re-installed BW two more times than I should have. Two more activations...did it mess up the process?

LarryW
07-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I managed to install BW9 before I leave...

The installation and activation went without a hitch. All modules show as activated.

The only problem I had (which happened on one of my other computers) is when clicking on Restart Now Windows doesn't restart very smoothly. I found that selecting I'd restart later and then restarted manually worked smoother and faster. Vista Home Premium and Vista Business.

Larry

MBushell
07-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi All,

I will have Michael Tan look at this on Monday. I am wondering if reinstalling the modules on BW9 with the codes used for BW8 isn't bumping up the installation count unnecessarily. You shouldn't be getting these failed activations on old codes if they have already been activated for BW8 on the same computer.

Mike

Gospelizer
07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi All,

I will have Michael Tan look at this on Monday. I am wondering if reinstalling the modules on BW9 with the codes used for BW8 isn't bumping up the installation count unnecessarily. You shouldn't be getting these failed activations on old codes if they have already been activated for BW8 on the same computer.

Mike

Yup, they were installed and activated previously on the computer with BW8 (the problem computer was XP...I have also installed on Vista and Win 7 without problems).

BTW, something else that I noticed was when I ran the update on the computers via internet that after the patches were installed and I restarted BW that BW9 crashed. After starting it a second time all was fine. Strange. Happened with all three installations as I recall.

Thanks so much for your help! Had a salesman hitting me hard over the summer to upgrade to a different Bible program. No thanks! I have been with BW since 3.0 or 3.5 and I love it! I ain't changin'! Wonderful job!

God bless!

MTan
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for the hassle with activation. If you've installed BibleWorks on two or more computers, or if you have changed your computer hardware, you've probably triggered the activation system. Please just contact Customer Service. Once they verify you are a valid customer, they can easily get your modules activated. Things are a little full with the new release, so please be patient with them as they get caught up.

Thank you for your support!!

Michael

Gospelizer
07-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for the hassle with activation. If you've installed BibleWorks on two or more computers, or if you have changed your computer hardware, you've probably triggered the activation system. Please just contact Customer Service. Once they verify you are a valid customer, they can easily get your modules activated. Things are a little full with the new release, so please be patient with them as they get caught up.

Thank you for your support!!

Michael

Thanks, Michael!

Gospelizer
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I sent another email with more information about my problem. The issue was resolved by the tech. support people. The problem was too many activations. All three installations are fine now. Thanks for your help!