PDA

View Full Version : Companion Bible...

Busdriver
07-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Is the, or has the Companion Bible been added by BW or another user to the BW program. I really using it and it's indexes.

Thanks

johns
07-20-2011, 05:50 AM
I have a copy of the companion Bible in print. Got it many years ago. Also have his commentary on Revelation. Bullinger was truly a great mind. Unfortunately his talent was wasted by his diversion into dispensationalism.

I think what would be more valuable if you are a Bullinger fan would be "Figures of speech in the Bible". A truly invaluable resource.

For what its worth, there are several Bullinger titles available on the Logos platform (but not the Companion Bible).

ISalzman
07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Johns, let me encourage you to not trash theological systems with which you are not in agreement. There are people of all theological stripes and persuasions on these forums, including dispensationalists. We need to be respectful and charitable here.

johns
07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Johns, let me encourage you to not trash theological systems with which you are not in agreement. There are people of all theological stripes and persuasions on these forums, including dispensationalists. We need to be respectful and charitable here.

Was my post trashing a theological system? I will go back and re-read it. It was not intended that way. Thanks for your concern.

John

Dale A. Brueggemann
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I do think that saying this qualifies as "trashing a theological system"; it's certainly condescending:

Unfortunately his talent was wasted by his diversion into dispensationalism.

I'm no dispensationalist myself, but I would hate to think that my dispensational colleagues, who demonstrate considerable abilities in exegesis, theological reflection, and the like, are wasting their talents.

ISalzman
07-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Was my post trashing a theological system? I will go back and re-read it. It was not intended that way. Thanks for your concern.

John

There are degrees of trashing, to be sure. And yours was perhaps subtler. But to say that someone's talents have been wasted because they subscribed to dispensationalism is not kind or charitable. How would you expect dispensationalists who frequent these forums to find your comments? I am a dispensationalist,* but I would never say anything unkind about someone who held to a supercessionistic covenant theology. I do not need forum rules to tell me that. But, for the record, and for good measure, there are forum rules here that encourage charitable behavior on these forums.

*By the way, this post is not about me; I periodically hear anti-dispensationalism remarks but don't get bent out of shape by them.

johns
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
How would you expect dispensationalists who frequent these forums to find your comments?

The vast majority of dispensationalists would think I was too nice, not "trashing". Apparently you know little about Bullinger. Bullinger was not a classic dispensationalist, he was an ultradispensationalist.

And making that distinction is not "trashing". It is simply defining a theological position.

johns
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm no dispensationalist myself, but I would hate to think that my dispensational colleagues, who demonstrate considerable abilities in exegesis, theological reflection, and the like, are wasting their talents.

Agreed.

John

Dan Phillips
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
This voice from the back of the bus sincerely thanks Dr. Brueggemann for his charity, and notes that it's disingenuous for johns to try to cast "his talent was wasted by his diversion into dispensationalism" as anything other than (A) disparaging and (B) inaccurate, given that Bullinger was a hyperdispensationalist, among other odd things.

ISalzman
07-20-2011, 08:27 PM
The vast majority of dispensationalists would think I was too nice, not "trashing". Apparently you know little about Bullinger. Bullinger was not a classic dispensationalist, he was an ultradispensationalist.

And making that distinction is not "trashing". It is simply defining a theological position.

First of all, I did know that Bullinger was an ultra or hyper-dispensationalist, but I felt there would be little value in my pointing that out. And more importantly, you did trash dispensationalism because you said (of Bullinger), and I quote, "his talent was wasted by his diversion into dispensationalism." You did not distinguish in your post between dispensationalism and ultradispensationalism. You painted all dispensationalists with a broad brushstroke and said they were wasting their talents by being invested in that theological system. By the way, though dispensational myself, I disagree strongly with many of the articulations and premises of ultradispensationalism. But, here again, I would not trash their system in a public (or even private, for that matter) forum.

johns
07-20-2011, 08:39 PM
And more importantly, you did trash dispensationalism because you said (of Bullinger), and I quote, "his talent was wasted by his diversion into dispensationalism."

I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt. But my post was directed at the Original Poster, and was not about dispensationalism. It was about Bullinger. The question was about the Companion Bible.

Bullinger was a scholar who had considerable talent. His other works such as his Critical Lexicon and as I mentioned in the previous post, "Figures of speech", are considered his greatest works. The Companion Bible along with his Commentary on Revelation have been considered by most (dispensationalists included, maybe even ESPECIALLY dispensationalists) to be of lessor value, for obvious reasons. This is what I was referring to as his "diversion".

This is what I had intended to convey in my original post. Maybe my choice of words was less than perfect, but my point was (and still is) accurate.

John

ISalzman
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
My feelings were not hurt. As mentioned, I don't take people's theological diatribes and jabs personally. And I have Bullinger's "Figures of Speech." It is a classic work in the estimation of most. I'm not trying to attack you. All I attempted to do was encourage you not to denigrate the theological systems of the diverse group of readers at these BibleWorks forums. That's all, nothing more.

Busdriver
07-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the replies that are directed towards The Companion Bible and Bullinger's other works. Are programs in Logos able to be used in BibleWorks?

johns
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the replies that are directed towards The Companion Bible and Bullinger's other works. Are programs in Logos able to be used in BibleWorks?

No. Logos is a completely different platform. It is more of a library system while BW is more of an exegetical program, although the capabilities overlap a bit.

BW has the ERMIE facility, maybe you could set up external links to one of the websites that has the Companion Bible online. I cant help much though, I have never used Ermie.

Are you already familiar with the websites?

This site http://www.companionbiblecondensed.com/ appears to have the entire Companion Bible in PDF format. Maybe some of the ERMIE experts here could help you with setting ERMIE up to access theses PDF's?

Sorry I cant be of more help.

John

johns
07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
This one has the complete scanned pages, again in PDF format:

http://www.heavendwellers.com/hd_complete_companion_bible.htm

Mark Eddy
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Actually the answer to this is "yes," if by "programs" you mean databases/books. There are even threads in this forum about using your External Links Manager to open up books which you own in Logos. It is a bit tricky (BW Help explains what to do on the BW end, but what to do on the Logos end is slightly different depenting on which version of Logos you have), and it is not as quick as using the same work from within BibleWorks (if it is available in both). But it can be done.
Mark Eddy

Busdriver
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the pertinent replies. I bought the Companion Bible on CD that has clickable notes along the side of the text. Its very handy, but I would like to as soon as possible make it available in BW for ease of use sakes, along with the fact BW is such an AWESOME tool!!!

Thanks again and May the Lord Bless You!!!