PDA

View Full Version : UBS Handbooks

christlove
07-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey.

Has had somebody once before the idea to offer the handbooks of the UBS as an add-on for BW? I think it could be very useful.
Or do you have licensing problems with that like once with the NA-Apparatus?

Blessings,
Steffen

AbramKJ
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I'll throw my two cents in and agree. I'd find these very useful. They definitely reinforce the "focus on the text" mission.

calvary
07-19-2011, 04:09 AM
I agree that they would be a great addition. But knowing how overly priced scholarly resources are from UBS, I'd be afraid of what the coast may be.

Dave

christlove
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
I'll throw my two cents in and agree.

Lol! Laughed my ass up, Abram...Couldnt have expressed it better.

But knowing how overly priced scholarly resources are from UBS, I'd be afraid of what the coast may be.Should definetely be worth a try to find that out..

Im surprised that the price for the handbooks for the software "OliveTree" is 29,95$(??). Thats incredible low and I actually cant believe that. Look here: http://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=16682

Im lesser surprised about the price for having them in logos: 399,95$!! Look here: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=ubs+handbooks

Blessings,
Steffen

acheung
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Im lesser surprised about the price for having them in logos: 399,95$!! Look here: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=ubs+handbooks

And that is only for the NT! To get the OT handbooks will set you back another $400!

christlove
07-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Yeah, with that price I can understand that BW doesnt partake on that kind of policy...
But Im still confused that the complete handbooks on NT are that cheap for OliveTree....
Does have BW ever thought about offering them as a module or was it never an issue? Are they overly priced for BW or whats the reason?

Blessings,
Steffen

Michael Hanel
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Someone with money to spare needs to test out that OliveTree deal because $30 makes no sense at all. It seems much more likely that it's either a typo or that means $30 per volume. On the other hand, if it really does mean you get the whole set for that, watch my mouth drop to the floor.

Ken Neighoff
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Someone with money to spare needs to test out that OliveTree deal because $30 makes no sense at all. It seems much more likely that it's either a typo or that means $30 per volume. On the other hand, if it really does mean you get the whole set for that, watch my mouth drop to the floor. Michael,I purchased the UBS handbooks from Olive Tree, the OT and the NT set for $25.00 each on a special sale about year ago. So if there are at $30 that is not a misqoute.

Michael Hanel
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Well then that's a great deal! I've used a few of those commentaries before, and while I wouldn't say I'd ever pay hundreds for them, $50 for the whole series is a great price!

jfidel
07-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Just a suggestions, but WordSearch maybe interested in developing these for their software and BW. You may want to contact them.

Joan Korte
07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
John has a good idea and this is from Wordsearch website http://www.wordsearchbible.com/bibleworks/ :

"If there is a title you would like to have on your BibleWorks program, and it's not listed below, click here to let us know bookrequests@wordsearchbible.com. We'll use your input to prioritize which books we do next, and let you know by email when it's ready."

Sounds like they want to hear what users want.

christlove
07-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Hmm...Im gonna suggest the UBS Handbooks for BW via WordSearch. Thx for the advice.
As Michael already said, 50$ or something would be a good price to afford that but not 400$.

The thing with OliveTree is truly incredible...

Blessings,
Steffen

Joan Korte
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Hmm...Im gonna suggest the UBS Handbooks for BW via WordSearch. Thx for the advice.
As Michael already said, 50$ or something would be a good price to afford that but not 400$.

The thing with OliveTree is truly incredible...

Blessings,
Steffen
The $50 deal is incredible. I sent WORDsearch an email via the link in my earlier post and they are listening:

"Thanks for the request. As far as I know, we currently do not have this work licensed, but I will see what the possibilities are for making this work available in both WORDsearch & Bibleworks."

LaRosa Johnson
Lead e-book Developer
WORDsearch Corp.

If you want other resources in particular, it's worth a try to email them.

christlove
07-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I sent WORDsearch an email via the link in my earlier post and they are listening:

"Thanks for the request. As far as I know, we currently do not have this work licensed, but I will see what the possibilities are for making this work available in both WORDsearch & Bibleworks."

LaRosa Johnson
Lead e-book Developer
WORDsearch Corp.

I also sent them an email and I got the exact same answer.
I wrote them that they could keep me up to date as things get evolved and when they have a clue what the price could be. Well see....

Steffen

Jim Wert
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Michael,I purchased the UBS handbooks from Olive Tree, the OT and the NT set for $25.00 each on a special sale about year ago. So if there are at $30 that is not a misqoute.

I know absolutely nothing about these fancy hand-held devices that Olive Tree is designed for. I don't have a dumb cellphone, let alone a smart one. (I still use my hand-cranked spring-motor Victrola to play music every now and then.)

So is there anyway to use something like the Olive Tree UBS handbooks on a garden-variety PC, or even perhaps to convert it into a BW module? If the module conversion were possible, the instructions, maybe even code, would be nice on the blog to allow buyers of the Olive Tree thing to do the conversion.

--Jim

Michael Hanel
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Incidentally, I've noticed that the price on OliveTree is now at 129$ a piece for OT and NT UBS Handbooks. Someone must have told them their price was ridiculously low.