PDA

View Full Version : Bibleworks 8 deactivated itself? After 1 year and 8 months of use. Cannot reactivate

johns
07-15-2011, 01:32 AM
After my recent criticisms of BW8/9 here on this forum, my installation of BW8 suddenly deactivated itself, and for the first time since purchasing the product, I was unable to reactivate online.

I have experienced firsthand now what I had read others have gone through with the activations process. If the online activation process fails, you are given a number to call or an email address.

They might as well not bother with the phone number, because it is nothing but an answering machine. I have not yet tried the email process.

This could not have come at a better time for me, as I was seriously considering an upgrade to BW9. Now I am recalling with clarity the reasons why I was not happy with an activation requirement being added.

I have always disliked activation, but after using Microsoft product activation, I found that the online activation process was quick and easy. And in the few times I needed to call over the years, someone was there to answer the phone. That was Microsoft of course.

Likewise, Bibleworks activation generally worked online without a hitch for me ... until now. Perhaps this is just an unfortunate cooincidence. I would like to believe so. Trying to imagine that there might be "Christians" on the other end deactivating my Bible software that I paid for just doesn't seem realistic. Surely no Christian would ever do such a thing. I am sure it is just a cooincidence that this happened a couple days after I posted a few criticisms of the program and an Amazon review.

Yes, I know it has to be just a cooincidence. But the timing of this event did remind me how much I dislike product activation. The fact that someone else can prevent you from installing and using software that you paid for. Yes, that is why I do not like it.

John

bkMitchell
07-15-2011, 02:24 AM
I used to run BW8 on my netbook running Windows7 starter edition. For, whatever reason (probably due to my tinkering) my PC froze or crashed and cause me to have to reinstall BibleWorks and some modules a few times to many. I am guessing that an automated server is setup to prevent excessive activations and therefore I was also unable to activate BW. I sent an e-mail to BW and got a response within 48 hours(maybe less). I then upgraded my Netbook to the normal version of Windows7 and I haven't had any troubles, but that's not the point. My point is to say that I have experienced activation trouble with BW so I as well can share the frustration. (While, I admire Apple/Macs, Windows is the OS for me for the time-being)

My unsolicited advice would be:

(1)Send an E-mail during the business week.
Avoid, sending e-mails on Saturdays and Sundays.

(2)Include your product activate code and other information in the e-mail so that they can confirm that the product is licensed to you.

(3) I'd use this E-mail
service@bibleworks.com

but, you can also use the online form:
http://www.bibleworks.com/support_form.html

Grace and Peace,
BKMitchell

johns
07-15-2011, 02:53 AM
My unsolicited advice would be:

(1)Send an E-mail during the business week.
Avoid, sending e-mails on Saturdays and Sundays.

(2)Include your product activate code and other information in the e-mail so that they can confirm that the product is licensed to you.

(3) I'd use this E-mail
service@bibleworks.com

but, you can also use the online form:
http://www.bibleworks.com/support_form.html

Grace and Peace,
BKMitchell

Thanks, I may try that. Fortunately I do have a full image backup which includes the activated program. That option allows me to get back up and running quickly. Being the curious type though, I sure would like to find out the cause for the deactivation before I do so. I'm sure glad my printed Bibles never lose their activation.

calvary
07-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Wow John,

I'm sorry you've been having so many issues. You seem to be very disgruntled about BW. I hope I don't get into trouble for saying this, but perhaps you'd find more peace of mind with another program.

Sincerely,
Dave

johns
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Wow John,

I'm sorry you've been having so many issues. You seem to be very disgruntled about BW. I hope I don't get into trouble for saying this, but perhaps you'd find more peace of mind with another program.

Sincerely,
Dave

Dave,

I haven't really been having issues lately (with the program) until the deactivation. I may have been called disgruntled by others who were attacking me recently, but that is not the case. I managed to get it installed and running and have been using it for going on 2 years now. What happened recently is that I posted online what my thoughts had been about the program for a long time, along with concerns about a new version.

As a long-time upgrader (4,5,6,7,8), I have always evaluated each new version when it was close to coming out. I thought that the forum would be a place where constructive criticism and suggestions would be welcome, or at least tolerated. I was wrong.

As far as other programs go, I already have several of them. I do use them. And yet I prefer Bibleworks over the others just for searching the text. Fast searching and the command prompt have always been among the best features in BW.

Once I get past your ad hominem remark, I understand your suggestion however. For a person who simply reads and studies the Bible and is not a textual critic, it would be logical to conclude that there might be other programs better suited for that purpose. And there are. But I have already made a large investment in Bibleworks, and I am not going to give that up. As a long-time user I have paid for the right to continue using the program, so while I appreciate your concern about my peace of mind, I have already made the decision to continue using BW. I just have not decided which version to use. I was leaning toward upgrading again, despite my recent experience here on the forum. But now that my current installation deactivated itself, I am more inclined to reinstall version 7.

John

MTan
07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
John, I'm sorry your installation has deactivated. We haven't deactivated you. We don't even have that capability. It certainly wouldn't help us gain favor by disabling our users' software!

Our support team will respond if you submit an inquiry, but in case it helps there are two things that can cause a deactivation: 1) if your hardware significantly changes (e.g. new HD or significant changes in a virtual machine setup), 2) if you are running the original CD/DVD EXE and haven't updated it (the original EXE on CD/DVD had a bug which caused troubles if the user went online/offline).

We've never been happy with having to add activation, but a number of years back so many pirate copies started showing up on the internet (and taxing our support resources) that we were forced to add it. We would be unable to license databases and Bible versions if we didn't have the activation system in place, and everyone would lose in that situation.

Michael

bobvenem
07-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I thought that the forum would be a place where constructive criticism and suggestions would be welcome, or at least tolerated. I was wrong.

Umm... at what point was this post (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4944-Simpler-version-please&p=25385#post25385) intended to be constructive?

johns
07-15-2011, 11:13 AM
"... but in case it helps there are two things that can cause a deactivation: 1) if your hardware significantly changes (e.g. new HD or significant changes in a virtual machine setup), 2) if you are running the original CD/DVD EXE and haven't updated it (the original EXE on CD/DVD had a bug which caused troubles if the user went online/offline).

Thanks for the reply. I honestly cannot figure out what caused the deactivation in the first place. None of the things you mention apply to my system. The OS (Windows 7) didn't lose its activation. Nor did MS Office 2010. I think that is evidence enough that it was not hardware changes. I did do Bibleworks online update shortly before it happened, but that has never caused a problem before.

But maybe you could answer the question as to why online activation that used to work no longer does? Is there a certain number of activations allowed before it requires you to email? Or maybe a certain number within a particular timeframe? What exactly is the criteria being used? I haven't seen this info posted online.

johns
07-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Umm... at what point was this post (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4944-Simpler-version-please&p=25385#post25385) intended to be constructive?

Large software companies pay consultants to do surveys to get user feedback. The idea is that the end users experience can be improved by addressing users concerns. I am certain that my concerns are shared by others who have not taken the time to express them.

Whether it ultimately becomes constructive or not I guess is dependent upon the response. Responses like yours here don't accomplish anything constructive.

John

MTan
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
...I did do Bibleworks online update shortly before it happened, but that has never caused a problem before.

But maybe you could answer the question as to why online activation that used to work no longer does? ....

Every company uses their own code for activation, so our system isn't based on the same criteria as MS. Significant changes in hardware (real or virtual) cause our activation system to require reactivation. We can't post the details of our activation system beyond that for security reasons. You'd be surprised at how many people want to pirate Bible software (seems kind of counter productive, doesn't it?). There are many activation-defeat systems for BibleWorks listed online.

You are allowed to activate BibleWorks on several personal computers (e.g. your desktop and your laptop) without having to contact us. Beyond that, the system will have you manually activate additional systems or subsequently altered systems.

If you contact our support staff, they can help you verify you have the current EXE version. They'll also be able to assist you with manual activation. I'm sorry for the hassle. As the programmer of the activation system, I can tell you that we all despise activation, but we had no choice. Activation is a drain on development resources that could otherwise be used to create more useful features for our users. But, we live in a fallen world, so it has become a necessity.

Michael

Adelphos
07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Johns,

See if the two following threads may be of any help to you --

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthr...ght=activation (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3749&highlight=activation)

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3753 (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3753)

johns
07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Entire system restored from Acronis True Image backup. Bibleworks 8 was activated and running fine as before.

Allowed it to connect to the update website and it deactivated itself again.

I will restore from image again and use firewall to prevent it from phoning home, and see if it still deactivates.

If it deactivates again, then I will know it is a hardware change, timer etc.

calvary
07-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for clearing things up for me, John.

Have a great weekend.

Dave

Dave,

I haven't really been having issues lately (with the program) until the deactivation. I may have been called disgruntled by others who were attacking me recently, but that is not the case. I managed to get it installed and running and have been using it for going on 2 years now. What happened recently is that I posted online what my thoughts had been about the program for a long time, along with concerns about a new version.

As a long-time upgrader (4,5,6,7,8), I have always evaluated each new version when it was close to coming out. I thought that the forum would be a place where constructive criticism and suggestions would be welcome, or at least tolerated. I was wrong.

As far as other programs go, I already have several of them. I do use them. And yet I prefer Bibleworks over the others just for searching the text. Fast searching and the command prompt have always been among the best features in BW.

Once I get past your ad hominem remark, I understand your suggestion however. For a person who simply reads and studies the Bible and is not a textual critic, it would be logical to conclude that there might be other programs better suited for that purpose. And there are. But I have already made a large investment in Bibleworks, and I am not going to give that up. As a long-time user I have paid for the right to continue using the program, so while I appreciate your concern about my peace of mind, I have already made the decision to continue using BW. I just have not decided which version to use. I was leaning toward upgrading again, despite my recent experience here on the forum. But now that my current installation deactivated itself, I am more inclined to reinstall version 7.

John

johns
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks MTan and all who replied and offered help.

Up and running for good this time :D

Lesson learned: never go to network settings in Windows and disable a network card before running Bibleworks.

bkMitchell
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Hello Johns,

Let, me be the first to say I am happy to hear (or rather read) that BW is:

Up and running for good this time :D