PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 9 What's New?

Joan Korte
06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I reviewed the video on BW9 and the list of what appears to be new. I noticed a mention of the NET Bible update. What kind of update has there been to the first edition of the NET Bible? According to their website, there is no update. So, I am honestly trying to understand that point. Please advise

There is a mention of a new six hour of how-to-videos. Is that a longer time frame than BW8 or BW7 had as how-do-videos? Or of a different type or depth?

What does the Tov-Polak update consist of?

From what very little I have gleaned, BW9 changes seem mainly in the area of manuscripts. Some of the smaller changes are very helpful--Whitaker will really help with the Latin.

Thanks for your help.

Mark Eddy
06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
The NET Bible in BW9 can be viewed in the Analysis window in a new "Verse" tab. This way you can look at other translations in the Browse window and see the NET notes without being concerned about moving your cursor and losing the notes.
The biggest addition in BW9 is indeed in including a number of the most important manuscripts (Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, Vaitcanus, Bezae, Washington) which are searchable. Sinaiticus comes with accompanying morphology database. The CNTTS database which is far mor thorough than the NA27 footnotes is also a great text-crit. addition.
I haven't looked at Tov-Polak enough to see much change from the version in BW8.
And for people who need help in Latin, the new version of the Vulgate with English glosses and parsing information is helpful.
The videos explain the use of "old" and new databases and and functions. They all had to be updated because of a slightly new look. But if you are familiar with BW8, you won't need to watch most of them, unless you want to.
Mark Eddy

Michael Hanel
06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I reviewed the video on BW9 and the list of what appears to be new. I noticed a mention of the NET Bible update. What kind of update has there been to the first edition of the NET Bible? According to their website, there is no update. So, I am honestly trying to understand that point. Please advise

There is a mention of a new six hour of how-to-videos. Is that a longer time frame than BW8 or BW7 had as how-do-videos? Or of a different type or depth?

What does the Tov-Polak update consist of?

From what very little I have gleaned, BW9 changes seem mainly in the area of manuscripts. Some of the smaller changes are very helpful--Whitaker will really help with the Latin.

Thanks for your help.

I guess it depends on what you use the most. On the version database level, I think the number of changes is relatively small, but important. The NIV2011 is in the package (if you are upgrading you will still get to keep the old NIV, but BW no longer will have a license to sell the old NIV if you aren't upgrading), the new Common English Bible is also in it, a couple of new German translations and then some major upgrading in the Greek package (Tregelles now ships, Westcott-Hort and Scriveners have been extensively proofed and variant readings have been added), there are updates to a few of the other Greek versions as well.

As you said, the really big stuff is happening outside of simple version additions. The Manuscripts project is huge, adding the Moody Atlas is new, the CNTTS New Testament critical apparatus is new. And then there are some functional improvements to the program itself beyond those things that will especially be welcome.

bkMitchell
06-28-2011, 09:25 PM
The latest work from captain Kirk (http://www.grovescenter.org/blogs/kirk/)
:cool:Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.14:rolleyes:

:DNew Icons:D

AND...
Not the mention some of the cool improvements spoke of below. Think of how many hours of writing code they must have put in and the fact they listen to their users:

BibleWorks accommodates users who spend significant amounts of time with the program. In response to the variety of user suggestions, window sizes, window placement, output format, abbreviations, and font sizes can all be customized. In addition, many requests for mouse and keyboard short-cuts have been put into the program. Fewer clicks save wrists!

Jim Wert
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi, question for Mark Eddy,

I'm assuming you were a Beta tester, given you comments above.
Have you checked how the Synopsis Window handles 240+ versions?
You once mentioned having unwanted versions showing up in the Synopsis window in BW7; it happened to me there, and again in BW8 when I had a large number of versions (thanks to the BibleWorks Blog). I was able to get the unwanted ones to go away by removing a number of versions. I don't remember the breakpoint, but it was somewhere around 240. My guess is that it might have to do with the magic number 256. I'm a bit concerned that with the increased number of versions shipping with BW9 that I may not be able to add on as many as I wish.
Clarification: The synopsis files have only a small number of display versions requested; the numbers I mention are all the versions in the BibleWorks databases folder.

--Jim

MGVH
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, lots of threads started on BW9 (and I can't keep up with Micheal Hanel!), so I'll just post my link here. More to come:

BibleWorks9 Announced - Review at BibleandTech (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2011/06/bibleworks9-announced.html)

Mark Eddy
06-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi, question for Mark Eddy,

I'm assuming you were a Beta tester, given you comments above.
Good assumption.

Have you checked how the Synopsis Window handles 240+ versions?
You once mentioned having unwanted versions showing up in the Synopsis window in BW7; it happened to me there, and again in BW8 when I had a large number of versions (thanks to the BibleWorks Blog). I was able to get the unwanted ones to go away by removing a number of versions. I don't remember the breakpoint, but it was somewhere around 240. My guess is that it might have to do with the magic number 256. I'm a bit concerned that with the increased number of versions shipping with BW9 that I may not be able to add on as many as I wish.
Clarification: The synopsis files have only a small number of display versions requested; the numbers I mention are all the versions in the BibleWorks databases folder.
--Jim
I have well over 300 versions (so that I can work on all the verse map files in every available language). None of the extraneous versions display in the synopsis window in BW9 on either of my computers (XP and Windows 7). I could never keep the extraneous versions out of the synopsis window in BW8. But they are gone now. I do not know why, but one guess is that most (but not all) of the extraneous versions were user database versions, which I compiled in BW8. (The others were later additions by the BW programers.) BW9 has a "migration" function, which allows you to migrate all those already-compiled versions from BW8 to BW9, without having to recompile any of them. Perhaps overworking the compiler led to the problem. I have only compiled a version or two in BW9, but those versions do not show up in the synopsis window. So there is no problem with the number of versions you have installed. And whatever the bug was seems to be fixed.
Mark Eddy

dmiller
06-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I wonder if any Beta testers, etc., can tell me whether, along with the other changes, there have been improvements to Browse window functionality. One of the most annoying things for me in BW8 is that the Browse window doesn't change versions to correspond to the middle window text. Say, for example, I set the Browse window to PHE in one tab, when I switch tabs to a NT pane with BNT as my preferred version, the system beeps at me. (I hope that makes sense.)

Also, is it possible now to lock tabs so that they consistently display the version of choice? In BW8 I sometimes find that my Hebrew Bible tab gets switched by mistake to New Testament content.

Thanks!

David M. Miller

Michael Hanel
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
I wonder if any Beta testers, etc., can tell me whether, along with the other changes, there have been improvements to Browse window functionality. One of the most annoying things for me in BW8 is that the Browse window doesn't change versions to correspond to the middle window text. Say, for example, I set the Browse window to PHE in one tab, when I switch tabs to a NT pane with BNT as my preferred version, the system beeps at me. (I hope that makes sense.)

Also, is it possible now to lock tabs so that they consistently display the version of choice? In BW8 I sometimes find that my Hebrew Bible tab gets switched by mistake to New Testament content.

Thanks!

David M. Miller

I'm sorry if I cannot answer your questions directly, but I will try.

1. Unless there are more steps to what you describe, I cannot produce any beeping if I have Tab 2 open with PHE as my main Browse window version and then click Tab 1 where BGT is the main browse window version. Is there something more that I'm not doing that produces this beep?

2. I cannot remember if BW8 had this or not but there is a "Freeze tab" option which freezes the contents of the tab selected. So if you freeze a tab, when it is active you can still add or remove versions, but when you change tabs and come back to the tab it will come back the way it was when you first froze it. So if you start with PHE in a tab, freeze it, add more versions, take away PHE, and click on the tab again it will clear the browse window to only show PHE.

Mark Eddy
06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I have never had any beeping in BW8 either. So I do not know what you did.
The only time a tab will NOT remain as you left it is if you do something to change it.
E.g. I have a sensitive touch pad. So, if I put the cursor over a word in Philo on my Philo tab to see the lexicon entries for the lemma, then if I freeze the lexicon (e.g. hit the shift key) and move the cursor over a reference in BDAG, if my thumb is a bit lazy, my computer thinks that I clicked it, and BW looks up the reference under the cursor (which will almost always be a biblical reference). That would then replace the verse I had in Philo with with my default Greek version at the verse under the BDAG cursor. It's user error. I can get my Philo reference back, if I click on the Search Window History back arrow (to the right of my search window tabs).
This is not a problem with the software but with my touchpad and my thumb. Does that make sense?
There is no change in function (that I can see) between BW8 and BW9 in this.
Mark Eddy

dmiller
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your responses Michael and Mark.

Re: 2: The freeze tab function looks close to what I am looking for. My main goal is to avoid the "human error" that Mark describes.

A clarification re: 1: The issue I'm describe occurs when I have the browse tab open in the *Analysis Window*.