PDA

View Full Version : BW search question

Stouks
06-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I am relatively new to BW and am still having some issues with Greek searches. I am sure this will be a very basic question, but I will ask anyway.

I want to search the NT for the exact for the GREEK phrase in 2 Pet 1:20 that is made up of the first 3 words in the verse. In English the phrase is "know this first of all" (Greek: touto proton ginoskontes). I know this exact phrase occurs in 2 Pet 3:3.

So, can I simply put this exact Greek phrase in the search line as it appears: .'touto proton ginoskontes ? This doesn't work. Do I have to put each element in the line in its lexical form, like: 'outos....?

Thanks for your help

Adelphos
06-19-2011, 12:46 PM
So, can I simply put this exact Greek phrase in the search line as it appears: .'touto proton ginoskontes ? This doesn't work. Do I have to put each element in the line in its lexical form, like: 'outos....?

There are two easy ways to do this. The first way is typing it in with the apostrophe as the beginning symbol. You don't add any punctuation, such as a question mark or whatever. If this didn't work it's because you typed something wrong, as I just tried it and it worked fine. Either that or you have your search limits set which confines to narrowly, or perhaps you didn't have a Greek version as your search version.

The second method is somewhat easier. Just highlight the three words, i.e., the phrase you want to search for, and then right-click on it, then choose "search for phrase"

Mark Eddy
06-19-2011, 03:28 PM
BibleWorks allows you to search Greek with or without accents. If you have checked the General Greek Option (accessed by the wrench icon) "Search on Greek versions is accent sensitive", then you have to type the accents as well as the letters. You may have inadvertently clicked on "Accents" at the bottom of the BibleWorks window. If the word "Accents" is not greyed out, then you are doing accent sensitive searching. Just double click on "Accents" to gray it out, and you can search without accents again.
Mark Eddy