PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Help with command-line morphology predicates

mtp1032
04-30-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd like to be able to find all instances of a proper noun immediately preceeding a 3p qal-perfect verb. My first stab was using the quote operator and the appropriate morphology codes. For example:

'*@np--* *@vqp3?s*

Alas, no joy. I tried the command-line assistant but was similarly unsuccessful. No doubt these are user errors arising from my imperfect understanding of how these tools work. Can some one help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Blessings,

Michael

mtp1032
04-30-2011, 06:03 PM
I'd like to be able to find all instances of a proper noun immediately preceeding a 3p qal-perfect verb. My first stab was using the quote operator and the appropriate morphology codes. For example:

'*@np--* *@vqp3?s*
Alas, no joy. I tried the command-line assistant but was similarly unsuccessful. No doubt these are user errors arising from my imperfect understanding of how these tools work. Can some one help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

The error was, indeed, on my part. As those of you who've used the command line search function are aware (as I am now), one needs to be careful when typing the '@' sign following the lemma.

Cheers,

Michael Hanel
04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
On first glance it looks to me like your search is fine except for one thing, you'd want to reverse the order of your noun and verb because the search reads Hebrew right to left. So right now you're asking for all places where qal perfect 3s verbs follow the noun, not precede it.