PDA

View Full Version : how to search this case

dongil
04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
I need the list of Greek words which are noun and their suffix are σον. The problem is that the words which I need are in STE but the part of speech (such as noun, verb) are in STM.

How can I find the list words?

Thank you in advance.

Michael Hanel
04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
I need the list of Greek words which are noun and their suffix are σον. The problem is that the words which I need are in STE but the part of speech (such as noun, verb) are in STM.

How can I find the list words?

Thank you in advance.

I think I have a fairly quick answer to this one.

1. Set browse text to STE
2. Search .*son
3. Open the Word List (there are many ways to do this, but it's easy enough to use the green tools down arrow button to select Word List Manager)
4. File|Load Word List
5. Under Version be sure to select STM
6. Under Source "Load highlighted words from last query"
7. Keep morph codes should be checked, accents, if you want them.
8. Create list
9. Sort|By morphology, then lemma
10. All words that start out GREEK WORD@n are your nouns. So starting with abussos, you can highlight it by clicking on it, press the shift key and hold the down arrow until you get to chrysos, the last noun on the list.
11. Select|Invert selection
12. Edit|Delete Selected

and that should be your list.

dongil
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you Michael,

Everything is OK up to step 8.

I do no have the sort option for sort by morphology

Only options that I have are sort by frequency and sort by alphabetically.

Is there any mistake I did?

Michael Hanel
04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you Michael,

Everything is OK up to step 8.

I do no have the sort option for sort by morphology

Only options that I have are sort by frequency and sort by alphabetically.

Is there any mistake I did?

Hmm. what version of BibleWorks are you using?

dongil
04-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I am using version 8.0.013z.1.

Michael Hanel
04-18-2011, 12:24 AM
I am using version 8.0.013z.1.

Hmm. You could try updating your version. Otherwise I'm not sure why it wouldn't be there.

dongil
04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Dear Michael.

I finally get the word list that I want without using "sort by morphology".

At step 8, I use filter (*@n*) in Word List Manager. then compile it.

That is it.

Your advice was a great help.
Thanks a lot.

God bless you.

Glenn Weaver
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
There is a way to search a morph version plus specify the spelling in the text version using the Graphical Search Engine (GSE).

Have the morph version (STM) as the search version. Open the GSE, then double-click on the word box to open it. On the right side of the box is a place to "Match the following spec in STE". In that box you can specify part of the spelling of the word you want to find in this example, you would enter sun* (using Greek letters, of course). After running the search, you could use the Word List Manager to create the list of words from the search results.

Blessings,
Glenn

dongil
04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you, Glenn

It is a very simple procedure,but it works.

The way of displaying is different from the way by using Word List Manager.

Is there any way to produce the result from GSM like the result from WLM? The result includes only the list of words, where no duplicated words appeared and no corresponding verses.

Glenn Weaver
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
The GSE search I described can be used in a variety of ways. It is useful where you need to create a complex search with different search terms. It is also useful where your desired end result is a list of verses.

To create a list of words, first run the GSE search, then open the Word List Manager (WLM) and create a word list by selecting "Load highlighted words from last query" as the Source from which you derive your word list. Since you want morphology, you would have the STM as your version in the WLM.

If you need further help with this, please let me know.

Blessings,
Glenn

dongil
04-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Is WLM is embedded in GSE? I can not find WLM in GSE.

Thank you.

Glenn Weaver
04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
The Word List Manager (WLM) is a separate search tool. First run your search using the Graphical Search Engine (GSE). The search results from the GSE appear in the Search Window.

To open the WLM, select Tools from the main BibleWorks menu, then select Analyzing the Text, then select Word List Manager.

In the WLM click on the Load or Generate Word List button. In the window select STM as your search version. Under Source select the radio button for "Load highlighted words from last query". You will want to uncheck the box at the bottom to "Keep morph codes", though you will probably want to have the box checked to "Keep Greek accents and Hebrew vowel points". Click on the Create List button to create the list.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Glenn

dongil
04-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Thank you, Glenn.

I think it is better that GSE would include WLM. It makes WLM more powerful and convenient for users. Thus I wish that GSE would have an insert function to call WLM in its own environment.
Hopefully, the next version will provide the service that I suggested.

Thank you.

God bless you.

Glenn Weaver
04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
There is a faster way to open the Word List Manager-- press the "F8" key on your keyboard, and the WLM will open.

Thank you for the suggestion. We would have to think about how we could integrate the WLM into the GSE. Some GSE searches are to find specific words (as is the case in your search example), while other searches are to find specific verses. And example of wanting to find specific verses are search for the word AGAPAW in the Greek text and the word LOVE in an English text. The words themselves would be unimportant, but the verses would be important. We are always trying to find ways to make BibleWorks more useable and more powerful. We will keep your idea in mind.

While this would not apply to your current search, when you run a search on the Command Line you can open the Words Tab and see all of the words searched. For example, if you run a wildcard search for all of the forms of the lemma AGAPAW, all of the forms of that word appear in the "Wildcard expansion of the command line" portion of the Words Tab. This is the same type of word list you can obtain using the WLM, only faster.

Blessings,
Glenn

dongil
04-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you, Glenn

I know it is not an easy job to add a procedure to the already built module since we must keep the module as independent as possible according to the philosophy of software engineering.
My idea is that we need WLM box by calling the adding function. then we can put WLM box following the merge box by connecting an arrow line. then we run GSE. The integrated job will be done.
However, If I want to use it from the Bible version, then only a WLM box is enough to handle to provide the result. It might be to naive to say that because I do not know the whole functions in Bible Work. Just my simple idea could help to improve quality of BW

Thank you.

There is a faster way to open the Word List Manager-- press the "F8" key on your keyboard, and the WLM will open.

Thank you for the suggestion. We would have to think about how we could integrate the WLM into the GSE. Some GSE searches are to find specific words (as is the case in your search example), while other searches are to find specific verses. And example of wanting to find specific verses are search for the word AGAPAW in the Greek text and the word LOVE in an English text. The words themselves would be unimportant, but the verses would be important. We are always trying to find ways to make BibleWorks more useable and more powerful. We will keep your idea in mind.

While this would not apply to your current search, when you run a search on the Command Line you can open the Words Tab and see all of the words searched. For example, if you run a wildcard search for all of the forms of the lemma AGAPAW, all of the forms of that word appear in the "Wildcard expansion of the command line" portion of the Words Tab. This is the same type of word list you can obtain using the WLM, only faster.

Blessings,
Glenn

Glenn Weaver
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
The search that you were running needed a WLM output, which is something that the GSE does not provide. First the search would have to be sent to the Search Window, and from there the WLM could pull out the highlighted words.

What you are proposing is to use the WLM as part of the search itself, rather than as a post-process of the search results. I think what you are suggesting is already available in the GSE.

If you open a Word box in the GSE by double-clicking on it, you will see at the bottom left side of the box a radio button for inclusion/exclusion lists. Select this radio button, then click on the button that says "more". The top option on the menu is to "Open Word List Manager with current list". When this option is selected, if there is an inclusion/exclusion list already in the window, then the list is loaded into the WLM. If there is no list already, then you can use the now-open WLM to create a word list. After you create the word list (use the radio button in the WLM to "Load words from a Bible version"), then you can close the WLM and it will prompt you with two windows. The first window asks if you want to save the list. You can do so if you like. The second window asks if you want to copy this word list back to the GSE Word Box. Click Yes, and the word list is now in the Word Box. Each term in the word list is now a search term in the Word Box. This can be a very powerful search feature.

Blessings,
Glenn

dongil
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Thank you, Glenn;

I just learn another useful tip from you, it is a good for me to use WLM.

But I think that it is not a completely integrate GSE. I think , once you set up WLM then you do not need to set it up again. For example, I want to search *on words in Greek which are all verbs. Then I could use GSE and Word Box and WLM. My next job is find *ou words in Greek which are also verbs. In this case, I just change the rule in Word Box. then I compile. Thus WLM should be pop up and may have the corresponding search results in the search space. That is a powerful GSE that I expect. That is the power of integrate environment. It could be the pipe line concept of UNIX.
Thank you.

The search that you were running needed a WLM output, which is something that the GSE does not provide. First the search would have to be sent to the Search Window, and from there the WLM could pull out the highlighted words.

What you are proposing is to use the WLM as part of the search itself, rather than as

a post-process of the search results. I think what you are suggesting is already available in the GSE.

If you open a Word box in the GSE by double-clicking on it, you will see at the bottom left side of the box a radio button for inclusion/exclusion lists. Select this radio button, then click on the button that says "more". The top option on the menu is to "Open Word List Manager with current list". When this option is selected, if there is an inclusion/exclusion list already in the window, then the list is loaded into the WLM. If there is no list already, then you can use the now-open WLM to create a word list. After you create the word list (use the radio button in the WLM to "Load words from a Bible version"), then you can close the WLM and it will prompt you with two windows. The first window asks if you want to save the list. You can do so if you like. The second window asks if you want to copy this word list back to the GSE Word Box. Click Yes, and the word list is now in the Word Box. Each term in the word list is now a search term in the Word Box. This can be a very powerful search feature.

Blessings,
Glenn