View Full Version : GSE and Results Verse List Box (and exports)
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I have searched through the forums and can't find an answer to this question.
Is there a way to keep GSE search results in the book order of the Hebrew Bible, including when doing complex searches with the GSE?
The situation: I changed my Old Testament book orders to match the book order in the Hebrew Bible. When I do command line searches, the results in the Verse List Box keep Hebrew Bible book order. But, if I use the Graphical Search Engine to do a complex search of same database (the morphological Hebrew Bible database, WTM), the Results Verse List always defaults its results to Christian Bible book order.
Is there a book order file setting that I can access and alter that will change default book order search results for complex searches from within the GSE? This would be very helpful for Old Testament/Hebrew Bible scholars. Some of my searches result in dozens of entries for each Old Testament book, and rearranging the results is tedious.
Thanks for any assistance!
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Great question, Brad! Sorry I don't have an answer for you. But, with you, I will look forward to seeing if someone else can answer it.
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Irving (if I got your name right).
I tried several other things today that did NOT work.
(1) I used the GSE to a complex search in the WTM database. As always, the results were in the standard Christian Bible book order.
(2) I opened the Verse List Manager and imported the entire results list (Import > Entire Search Window Verse List). ODDLY, the verses show up in my custom order (the traditional Hebrew Bible book order - Law, Prophets, Writings).
(3) I export the list back to a new Search Window, and the list reverts back to Christian Bible book order.
(1) After step two above, I saved the list from within the Verse List Manager,
(2) Then closed the VLM, opened it again, and tried importing the list.
That didn't work either, so...
(1) I shut down BibleWorks completely, and then restarted it and
(2) Opened the VLM and opened my saved list,
(3) and it has reverted back to CB book order.
Maybe the oddest thing is that I looked at the saved list (a *.vls file) with a text editor, and it is saved in the WTM Hebrew Bible book order!
Frustrating. (BTW, all the above was when using BW 7 on a Windows XP machine. I'm going to try the same things on in BW 8 on a Windows 7 machine tonight.)
03-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks Brad. I'll be curious to see if you get the same results with BibleWorks 8. But your post has given rise to the thought that Canonical Display Order might be a very helpful feature and option in future program updates and upgrades. It would be nice to be able to toggle back and forth from Hebrew Canon order to Christian Canonical order. I really believe that changes to the original canonical order of the Hebrew Bible have sometimes done violence to the compositional structure and strategies of the canonical OT and its authors. Thanks for your extremely helpful posts.
04-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi Brad and Irving,
I sent one of our programmers a description of the problem. He said that he will take a look at it. I do not know how soon a solution can be offered, though. I'm sorry for the problems you are experiencing.
04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much, Glenn.
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Brad and Irving,
I haven't tested it yet, but an update to BW8 to fix this problem has been posted. Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem.
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Irving (and Glenn),
Thanks for your responses.
Irving: yes, a Canonical Display Order option is an excellent idea. I hope it can be coded and integrated at some point. (I won't comment further about canonical order, except to say I agree with your comments. :) )
Irving and Glenn, regarding tests on BW8: before running the patch, I ran the same set of tests (mentioned above) on my BW8 machine and I had the same results as on BW7. It always switched back to Christian canon order.
BUT I just downloaded and installed the latest patch, and now complex searches in the WTM database remain in my custom order (Hebrew canon order), even on initial 'load' in the Verse List Window! I don't even need to utilize the VLM--the initial results appear in the custom order. Success!
To say: it looks fixed, I'm excited about the results, and thank you! Glenn, please thank your programmer for me (us) as well.
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm glad that it is working for you. We can't always fix things this quickly, but we try our best. I'm glad that it is working for you.
04-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Brad and Glenn,
First, Brad. Thanks so much for sharing your findings. I am gladdened to hear of your success.
Thanks so much for your and BibleWorks' commitment to us users. Thanks for your attentiveness to your customers. And most of all, thanks for a wonderful product.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.