PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew verbs with pronoun suffixes

Max Rogland
03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm using BW8 to search BHS for verbal forms with pronoun suffixes using the Morphology Assistant. However, I'm finding that any time I specify a pronoun suffix for a verb, it tells me that "the following word or form cannot be found in the current search version", even though I am asking for forms that I know occur in BHS (e.g. 1 common singular perfects with a 2nd person pronoun suffix). I get lots of hits when I ask for the verb form but leaving "any" for a pronoun suffix:

@vqp1cs+*J?C?A*

But when I add a pronoun suffix, it tells me that it can't be found, e.g. with:

@vqp1cs+S2msJ?C?A*

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Max Rogland

Glenn Weaver
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum!

The Morph Assistant has been replaced by the popup Morph Helper on the Command Line. It includes extra codes to correspond to the current release of the Westminster Hebrew Morphology. The Morph Assistant has been left in the program at request of some long-time users who requested it, but it would be advantageous to you to switch to using the popup Morph Helper.

There was a change in a newer version of the WTM that included energic nuns. The codes for this are included as the last element under Suffix. The Morph Assistant does not contain a dropdown to add that code, and there is no indication that a code is needed. Without this code, a search will not find any of the words where you specify that it should look for items in the S slot. This is the problem that you found.

I'm sorry for the difficult you have experienced.

Blessings,
Glenn

Max Rogland
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks very much! That does the trick.

Max