PDA

View Full Version : Cannot view all font characters in cut-n-paste text in Word document

BradMI
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a document (Word 2007 docx) which contains some fonts that are not on my PC. For the Greek/Hebrew characters that my associate uses I have some of them appearing but oftentimes small boxes or odd-looking musical notes. I added the fonts we figured were the missing ones to no avail. The person who prepared the document was cutting and pasting Greek and Hebrew text from the BibleWorks 8 software program. He is running Office 2007 on Windows 7 while I run it on XP. Not sure if this makes a difference?

We tried having the document saved with fonts embedded. No luck.

Next, I looked at Word Options > Advanced > Show Document Content > Font Substitution. At first I found a couple which I went ahead and loaded. This did not resolve all of the issues. There are still several which are garbled.

Any suggestions on how I can figure out which fonts may be missing from my PC? I loaded the set of 5 from the BibleWorks website and it didn't help.

Thank you.

Brad

jimofbentley
03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure exactly which font you are talking about, but I know that I had some trouble with the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts when I first loaded BW8.

It took me a while to locate teh instructions, but when I did, and when I followed the procedures for loading these fonts, they worked well.

You can find full instructions at:

http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx

This has instructions for downloading, installing and using both the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts.

The guidelines for installing are under Biblical Fonts FAQ.

Hope this helps.

BradMI
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi Jim,

I had those fonts installed and they didn't help.

But reading a bit more on the BibleWorks site I notice text is usually Exported and it appears that this is done with Unicode. Does that mean I have another type of font to install?

Or, should I have the person creating the document change the Export settings to use the non-Unicode fonts for Greek and Hebrew?

Is doing a simple copy and paste operation the same as exporting?

Thanks!

Brad

jimofbentley
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I think that the problem may be the font that your friend is using.

If he is using a non-BibleWorks, or non SBL font - or in fact any font that you don't have - then wherever your computer can not decide which character to display, it often puts a "small box".

You may need to find out your friend's font and then load it in order to see his document clearly.

Jim