PDA

View Full Version : Is Bibleworks Activation working? Do they still support the program

garylet
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi, I switched the hard drive in my laptop - everything else works fine, except Bibleworks, including several other programs that require activation (nothing else asked for activation...)

I get a note that the thirty day trial is up (I've had BW8 on this laptop for a year) and when I press to activate over the internet I get the notice that internet activation failed.

I tried full remove/install, using "resetup" option.

I've emailed twice, and left a message. It has now been 48 hours without a working solution, and no response.

I don't fault Bibleworks for having an activation system, but are they supporting it? Do they respond to emails/phone messages. This level of service is unacceptable to me.

Gary

bkMitchell
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
I get a note that the thirty day trial is up (I've had BW8 on this laptop for a year) and when I press to activate over the internet I get the notice that internet activation failed.
So, does this mean you have also been having this problem for an entire year after you switched hard drives?
Or, is this issue a recent occurrence?

I've emailed twice, and left a message. It has now been 48 hours without a working solution, and no response.

In principle BibleWorks is closed on Sundays, so this might explain why your E-mail hasn't been answered. I encourage you to call them up again, since the business week has offically started.

I don't fault Bibleworks for having an activation system, but are they supporting it? Do they respond to emails/phone messages. This level of service is unacceptable to me.
Gary
If they weren't supporting the program more than you would be complaining, crying, waling, and I doubt that there would even be a forums.

I have never tried calling them so I can't answer the phone question. However, I have e-mailed them and yes they do get back to you.

But, it is better to send them an E-mail with your Name, Activation Code, and registration information so that they know the program is licensed to you. This I believe will ensure that you get a prompt response.

Mark Eddy
03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
If you had activation codes on your old hard drive, it is best if you try to get them and copy them to the new hard drive. They were probably sent from BW in an e-mail. You may have copied the attchment there into BW; or when you activated BW the first time, BW may simply have found the activation codes on the e-mail. But without the codes, you can't activate BW. There were just getting to be too many pirated copies out there. It is important also to print out the codes which they sent, so that (e.g. in case your hard drive dies) you can type the codes back in manually, or give the information to Support at BW.
I hope this guides you in the right direction.
Mark Eddy
P.S. I have always found the support at BW to be more informative and more timely than support from any other software company (though I don't seek support elsewhere very much.)

Glenn Weaver
03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Gary,

BibleWorks is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, so it would not be possible for Customer Service to contact you during that time. Once we return to the office on Monday, we try to respond to each Customer Service contact within the next 24 hours. I spoke with one of our Customer Service reps, and they will be contacting you today via email to resolve the problem you experienced.

BibleWorks places a limit on the number of unique hardware IDs on which one activation number can be used. Each computer has its own unique hardware ID. Changing harddrives changes the unique hardware ID of the computer. Because you reached the activation limit, the activation would no longer work. A Customer Service rep will contact you to get BibleWorks working again.

Blessings,

garylet
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Just to report back, I received the response and reset this morning, and I am able to use the program again.

I have 2 suggestions for Bible Works: One, make it clear that the email process is not automated, and will be responded to during the business week (do this on the activation splash screen when activation fails). Two, respond to activation requests the day you receive them, as a priority. (Set a filter for "activate@bibleworks.com, and respond to them very promptly.) I fully support activation as a necessary response to pirating...but it needs to be "actively" supported--emails responded to within hours on business days, not the next day. After all, the program becomes 100% non-functional in a situation like mine. It is the kind of "gotcha" that is very frustrating .

You may want to consider an automatic response to "activate@bibleworks.com" emails, so the sender knows you have it...

Thanks,
Gary

Glenn Weaver
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the suggestions. We certainly want to do all that we can to get you up and running as soon as possible. I spoke with a Customer Service rep, and he overlooked your email yesterday. Ordinarily he would have responded to you yesterday. He apologized for not getting back to you sooner.

Realizing that some people may have problems with Internet activation (such as not having Internet activation while away on a trip, for example), we implemented a 30 day period during which the program would continue to work even while not activated. Usually 30 days would be enough time to contact Customer Service and have Customer Service respond back, though I understand that there may be circumstances in which even 30 days would not be enough time.

I checked with the Customer Service rep that is working with your email message, and he has sent your activation codes to you. By using those codes you should now be able to activate and use BibleWorks.

If we can be of further help to you, please contact our Customer Service department. You can contact them through the link in my signature file.

Blessings,

garylet
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Glenn,
Thanks for your note.

Just an fyi...there was no thirty day period in my case to get the code. After changing hard drives using disc imaging, Bibleworks presented me with the activation screen the first time I ran Bibleworks, 3 days after the hard drive change (with the note that the 30 days had expired!). I've been using it for about one year on this computer, pre hard drive change, all activated fine.

My activation codes were already entered in the activation screen (BW + 6 or so extras). After pressing "Internet Activation" or what ever it is called, I got the message "Internet Activation Failed" and was presented with the email/telephone options.

There was no 30 day period to get the activation accomplished and I could not start Bibleworks, presumable because the thirty day counter was expired.

I tried repair, remove/install, remove/delete BW directory/install with "resetup.exe" and all ended with the the thirty days expired activation screen.

I'm sure this has to do with a registry setting somewhere...and as a result, I was locked out of Bibleworks the first time I attempted to run it - no options to use it, just by changing my hard drive. (By the way, every single other program on this machine ran just fine after the full image restore.) Sounds like maybe the combination of exceeding the activation counter with some indicator that my 30 days had expired resulted in no use of the program.

Gary