PDA

View Full Version : New Resources for BW8

MGVH
02-16-2011, 01:16 AM
I didn't want to start new threads for some new resources I've just posted, so forgive me for clumping them together here. I made these resources for my students, but I figure they may be helpful to others.

Listing of texts available for BibleWorks (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2011/02/listing-of-texts-available-for.html)

I have compiled in a spreadsheet (what I think is) a complete list of texts for BibleWorks8 that are in Hebrew, Aramaic, Syriac, Greek, Latin, Coptic, or English... Contains abbreviations and more. Also available as an online document.

English Bible Versions: Literal/Formal to Dynamic/Functional (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2011/02/english-bible-versions-literalformal-to.html)

This is a listing of about 66 English versions, most of which are available in BibleWorks8. Includes BW8 abbreviations, notations, and an evaluation of each version on a scale of 1-10 in terms of literal/formal to dynamic/functional.
Also available is a VDO file you can use to have the versions displayed in this order

Viewing Texts in Parallel Using BibleWorks8 (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2011/02/viewing-texts-in-parallel-using.html)

Now that you have all the texts organized, you need a way to view them in parallel. This shows you eight different ways of doing so in BW8.

ISalzman
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice job, Mark. Thank you.

If it's not asking too much, can you let us know on these forums if and when the list of available BW8 databases/resources gets updated? While I know that the document on Google Docs will be updated periodically, it would be very helpful to know when. Thanks again.

ISalzman
02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
By the way, speaking of new resources, has there been any discussion of when BW will get the newly released NIV?

Dan Phillips
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
...and ISV?

ISalzman
02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow, I hadn't even heard of the ISV before. But after going to their website (isv.org) and perusing the details, it looks like it will be a good translation. So, thanks Dan; I too would like to see it in BibleWorks.

Dan Phillips
02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, but (first glance)

Gender neutering. Pah!
Perpetuating the LORD superstition. Pah twice! When will some translation finally shake OFF those chains?

ISalzman
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Gotcha. Didn't see the gender neutering part.

Re the "Lord superstition," what would you prefer to see? I wouldn't mind seeing something like "YHVH" or "YHWH." But I think the average person in the pew would be clueless if they saw that.

Lee
02-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah, but (first glance)

Gender neutering. Pah!
Perpetuating the LORD superstition. Pah twice! When will some translation finally shake OFF those chains?

So is "Pah!" literal, or is that more of a dynamic equivalence or paraphrase?

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-18-2011, 08:29 AM
...Perpetuating the LORD superstition.... When will some translation finally shake OFF those chains?

Perhaps it's useful to continue the LORD convention:

The LXX had it.
And the NT echoes it in Jesus' title as the "Lord Jesus Christ."

Dropping that for Yahweh would dull the ears to that echo in Jesus identification.

ISalzman
02-18-2011, 09:56 AM

The LXX had it.

Dropping that for Yahweh would dull the ears to that echo in Jesus identification.

But, mind you, Jesus' equation with Yahweh is sometimes lost and missed by the failure to recognize that, picking up on the LXX rendering, the NT authors also substituted kurios for "YHWH." Paul probably had Jesus' deity in mind when he wrote (Rom 10:9) "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord (i.e., Yahweh) ..."

Dan Phillips
02-19-2011, 07:26 PM
ISalzman, I'd much rather "Yahweh." Some differ, but to my mind it's the likeliest vocalization. YHWH would be better. It is a name, not a title and "LORD" is a title.

Lee, "Pah!" is dynamically literal.

Dale, those are substantial points. However, I think they fall to the earth before the simple facts of the text. God the Holy Spirit saw fit to move the writers to use "Yahweh" over 6800 times. To say, "Yeah, but I really think that {a word which which bears NO RELATION to the meaning or sound of "Yahweh"} actually glorifies God better [i.e. than the word by which God Himself chose to be known], so I'll just help God out by obscuring His choice" is a level of hubris I'd rather avoid. Make sense?

Further ranting on this topic by your humble correspondent can be found here (http://bibchr.blogspot.com/2004/12/undisciplined-rant-about-yahwehlord.html).

ISalzman
02-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Good stuff, Dan. Thanks.

Irving

jimofbentley
02-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Re the "Lord superstition," what would you prefer to see? I wouldn't mind seeing something like "YHVH" or "YHWH." But I think the average person in the pew would be clueless if they saw that.

The LXX had it.

But isn't the answer to both of these concerns good preaching and teaching from the pulpit, in Bible studies, and throughout the church's ministry?

Dan Phillips
02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
But isn't the answer to both of these concerns good preaching and teaching from the pulpit, in Bible studies, and throughout the church's ministry?

Jim, I think good pulpit ministry is a terrific idea. I'm all for it. I even try to do it!

But why put English readers at yet one more remove from the text? I don't know if you recall reading the Bible for the first time, but everywhere else in the English-speaking-and-reading world, CAPS means SHOUTING. So the English reader thinks, "Okay, so Genesis 2:4 says '...in the day that the LORD!!! God made the earth and the heavens.' Hunh. That's weird."

Only when he eventually (if ever) reads the "decoder-ring" section of his Bible's intro does he understand: "Okay, kiddies, when Uncle Bob says 'Lord' all in caps, turn your decoder-rings to 'Y.'"

Better not to try to be "smarter" than the God-breathed text, imho. Your mileage may vary.

But it shouldn't.

(c;