PDA

View Full Version : Holman Christian (HCSB) 2009 Update

Michael Hanel
01-15-2011, 11:21 AM
If you start BibleWorks and open the updater it looks like there is a new update to the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I selected the update and installed it. This update is the 2009 version of Holman Christian Standard Bible. The previous version is from 2004. We should be used to these kind of incremental updates of translations (the most recent being the new version of the NIV that is not yet in BibleWorks), but I know some people probably are really attached to the 2004 version. Anyway, if you don't want to lose the 2004 version, you would have to export the database and use the version database compiler to add it as a new version. Downloading the HCSB will overwrite the 2004 version. If you don't want that to happen or for some reason don't want the 2009 version, don't download the update.

I personally don't often use the HCSB, so I don't really know much about its value or the nature of the changes, but apparently the changes are considered minor enough that HCSB doesn't consider this a new or second edition even if many changes were made. For more info on the HCSB 2009, see Rick Mansfield's blog here (http://thislamp.com/?p=54).

Dan Phillips
01-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Michael.

Does anyone know of a more detailed discussion of the CSB revision, perhaps from the translators themselves?

If I had two wishes (both obviously not-yet-fulfilled), they'd be:

Use "Yahweh" in every occurrence of the Tetragrammaton, not just 500 of them (which, however, is better than nothing); and...
Either use "Messiah" for every occurrence of Christos, or for none of them, since the current policy makes absolutely no sense whatever.

rzagorac
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I can only find 6 of the 9 files to update and their is no further instructions about how to go about, let alone compiling the old db after it is renamed. Definatlely need help.

Michael Hanel
01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
I can only find 6 of the 9 files to update and their is no further instructions about how to go about, let alone compiling the old db after it is renamed. Definatlely need help.

Have you already downloaded the update?

If not, you can follow the instructions here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?3009-How-Do-I-Modify-and-Recompile-an-Existing-BibleWorks-Database&highlight=databast+update+compile) on recompiling.

rzagorac
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes, and I cannot find where the .chm and the other files are to rename. What does it mean in the update instructions top update both the files and ID in the DBU file. Very confusing. Thanks for whatever help I can get.

Michael Hanel
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes, and I cannot find where the .chm and the other files are to rename. What does it mean in the update instructions top update both the files and ID in the DBU file. Very confusing. Thanks for whatever help I can get.

If your yes meant, yes you've already downloaded the update, then you can't get the old version of the Holman Bible by this method. You would have to reinstall that database via the CD to get the old version back. Then follow the instructions on that link to export the database and re-compile it under another name.

I didn't bother keeping the old version since I have no use for it, so I can't tell you about the files you're looking for.

Mark Eddy
01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
In the case of a plain Bible version, you do not have any .chm files. So you do not have to be concerned about it. But if you want to save the notes too, then pay attention to the .chm file. I have not tried to work with that yet. The version database compiler creates the .dbu file and automatically puts it in the BibleWorks databases file, so you should not have to be concerned with that either. You just have to export the database to a .txt file, rename it, create the .ddf file to go with it, and compile it. Then delete the .vmf file for the new version in your userbd folder, copy the csb.vmf file in the databases folder to your userdb folder, rename it with the same abbreviation as your newly-created userdatabase, and move it back into the databases folder. Then you can download the patch for the new CSB.
Mark Eddy

Mark Eddy
01-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Comparing the 2004 and 2nd ed. of CSB I noticed that the notes in the 2004 edition had hyperlinks, but the 2nd ed. which was just released does not. (See, e.g. John 1:1.) I wonder if this is intentional, or an oversight. In general there seem to be about twice as many notes in the 2nd ed. as in the 2004 release. The translation does not contain a lot of changes, but there are some (e.g. Rom. 3:12, where oddly the 2nd ed. has two identical notes at the same place). It appears that a bit more work needs to be done on it.
Mark Eddy

rzagorac
01-20-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm sorry guys but this sounds like a bit much to do when for any other new version all you have to do is load it in the updater. Why couldn't the new version be renamed as csb2? Still very complicated. I'll see what I can do on this end. Sorry but I really don't want to sound like I am complaining but just confused. I may need to talk to Charlie on the phone to go over this step by step if I can't get it to work. I am now getting a message that says "A duplicate version of CSB has been detected." when I load BW8.

Michael Hanel
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry guys but this sounds like a bit much to do when for any other new version all you have to do is load it in the updater. Why couldn't the new version be renamed as csb2? Still very complicated. I'll see what I can do on this end. Sorry but I really don't want to sound like I am complaining but just confused. I may need to talk to Charlie on the phone to go over this step by step if I can't get it to work. I am now getting a message that says "A duplicate version of CSB has been detected." when I load BW8.

The problem is it probably isn't an "officially supported" tweak. When publishers release updates to their Bible versions (such as ESV did and NIV is doing), part of the arrangement is (usually) that the software companies can release the new versions, but cannot keep continuing the old versions. So BibleWorks can't simply give you the new one while letting you keep the old one as well.

Email me via the forums and I'll try to help you out. It's a bit easier to do this via email rather than this back and forth.

rzagorac
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I found the duplicate (renamed) files and BW8 is no longer telling me that I have duplicate files. I think that I will leave well enough alone and use the latest version. Is there anything else that I need to check?

Lee
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Comparing the 2004 and 2nd ed. of CSB I noticed that the notes in the 2004 edition had hyperlinks, but the 2nd ed. which was just released does not. (See, e.g. John 1:1.) I wonder if this is intentional, or an oversight. In general there seem to be about twice as many notes in the 2nd ed. as in the 2004 release. The translation does not contain a lot of changes, but there are some (e.g. Rom. 3:12, where oddly the 2nd ed. has two identical notes at the same place). It appears that a bit more work needs to be done on it.
Mark Eddy

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably stick with the '04 for now.

Glenn Weaver
01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks to user response, we have fixed a number of errors in the HCSB update. The errors were my fault, and I apologize for them.

The duplicate note numbers have been fixed (this will appear in a new update, coming soon), and the book of Obadiah (which was missing) is now in place. The crossrefs are not hyperlinked, but that is the case with most of our Bible versions. The HCSB update also includes the Bible Outline from the HCSB.

Blessings,
Glenn

toddbeall
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
The problem is it probably isn't an "officially supported" tweak. When publishers release updates to their Bible versions (such as ESV did and NIV is doing), part of the arrangement is (usually) that the software companies can release the new versions, but cannot keep continuing the old versions. So BibleWorks can't simply give you the new one while letting you keep the old one as well.

Email me via the forums and I'll try to help you out. It's a bit easier to do this via email rather than this back and forth.

Hi Michael,
I am trying to keep my HCSB 2004 before downloading the new one (since I don't like all the changes to the new version). I am stuck on the various compiler options: does it have notes, embedded notes, or end notes? Does it have strongs codes (I think not), small caps, superscripts, italics, x-refs, use NAS lexicon (no on the last option--but no clue on the others)? Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Todd

Michael Hanel
03-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Hi Michael,
I am trying to keep my HCSB 2004 before downloading the new one (since I don't like all the changes to the new version). I am stuck on the various compiler options: does it have notes, embedded notes, or end notes? Does it have strongs codes (I think not), small caps, superscripts, italics, x-refs, use NAS lexicon (no on the last option--but no clue on the others)? Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Todd

I honestly don't know all the options for that. My suggestion is trial and error :-) When you select those options it doesn't change the text file you are compiling. It only changes the file that it outputs for use in BibleWorks. So try the options that make sense (like you said, no Strong codes) and view the output text in BibleWorks to see if there are any problems. If there are, try playing with the options and recompiling.

Alternatively, if someone else has recompiled the database and remembers all the options they could list them here, but like I said, I don't use HCSB very often at all, so I didn't do any of this work myself, I just made the suggestion for others.

Mark Eddy
03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
I am stuck on the various compiler options: does it have notes, embedded notes, or end notes? Yes, it has notes. But be sure to compile it with "End Notes." When I tried compiling with "embedded notes", the notes disappeared.

Does it have strongs codes (I think not), No

caps, Yes

superscripts, Yes

italics, Yes

x-refs, Yes

use NAS lexicon (no on the last option--but no clue on the others)? You are correct: No

Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Todd
Be sure that you compile with a different abbreviation from CSB, or else it will wipe out the version that Holman really wants you to have.
Mark Eddy

toddbeall
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help!

Todd