PDA

View Full Version : A difficult GSE-Question

Peter
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Dear Friends,

I try to find all instances like Rev 21,3, where NA reads LAOI (plural) and BYM has this form in the singular form (LAOS).
I have no clue, how a query file may be, where the same lemma (in my case a noun) in different versions (BGM and BYM) can be found, once in singular and once in plural. The Agreement-box can find identical lemmas only in the same version, so I get an error message.

Any help is appreciated ! Thank you !
Peter, Germany

Lee
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Peter,

You can do this fairly easily straight from a command line search.

1. Select BNT from the command line as your search version
2. Search .LAOI
3. Right click in results and select "Make Search Results New Search Limits"
4. Select BYZ from the command line as your search version
5. Search .LAOS

Hope this helps!

Peter
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Dear Lee,

thank you indeed for your help !
Unfortunately I don't have the feature "Make Search Results New Search Limits" in BibleWorks 7. My concern is to find *all* lemmas of the same kind (not only LAOS in Rev 21,3) where BYM has the singular and BNM the plural, as in Rev 21,3. Maybe that's beyond the possibilities of BibleWorks, as the Agreement-Box allows only searches of the same version.
Thank you for further help !
Yours
Peter, Germany

Lee
01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Sorry, Peter. It's easy to do the search you want in BW8. To get all plural forms in BNM and all singular forms in BYM, you would just have to change steps 2 and 5 to Search .LAOS@n?mp* or s*. Someone else will have to chime in to tell you how to do it in BW7.

Peter
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Dear Lee,
thank you again !
>"Someoe else will have to chime in to tell you how to do it in BW7."
I hope so too ! Maybe one BibleWorker can help in my case...
Yours
Peter

Glenn Weaver
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Peter,

I sent you a separate email with more information, but I thought I would post this info here, as well.

Because BibleWorks does not map a one-to-one correspondence between the BYM and BNM, creating a search that identifies morph differences between two corresponding words in two different versions is not currently possible.

You would have to search for plural forms in one version, and singular in the other version, then look through them manually to find the valid hits.

I'm sorry that we cannot be of more help at this time.

Blessings,

Peter
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Dear Glenn,

thank you indeed for your answer ! You wrote:
>You would have to search for plural forms in one version, and singular in the other version, >then look through them manually to find the valid hits.
Ok - I'll try it this way, as I'm very interested in this kind of query.
Wouldn't cross version comparisons, as I tried, be an interesting idea for a forthcoming Version of BibleWorks ?
Best regards
Yours
Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com (http://www.streitenberger.com)

Glenn Weaver
01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Peter,

I did submit the idea to our programmers, but I have not heard a response about the idea.

I like the idea, but I cannot guarantee if or when it will be developed.

Blessings,