PDA

View Full Version : BW8 Help crashes under Linux

CapnKirk
12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I've got BW8 successfully installed on my Fedora 14 box. The program itself works fine. But whenever I try to use "Help", only a blank window displays. When I close the window, BW crashes.

Anyone experience this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting, a fix or workaround are appreciated!

bkMitchell
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
...Anyone experience this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting, a fix or workaround are appreciated!

Yes, this is a chronic issue that has been noted on other linux distributions as well.

In a 2008 nerdlets' post about running BW under wine on ubuntu (link) (http://nerdlets.org/2008/08/18/run-bibleworks-7-with-wine-in-ubuntu-804/) this issue was mentioned:
"Update: Some of what follows is not an issue in Bibleworks 8, but help files do still crash Bibleworks."

One BibleWorks forum user did mention having success with opening and close BW help files under Linux:

OK, here's the deal.
IN CX office before you install BW, install IE (and promptly hide the evil little icon and forget you have it). This installs the dcom98.exe that you need, AND allow html help in BW to work, AND allows the link to perseus to work as well. W/O IE installed, the BW installation hangs.

The HTML help will work perfectly if you install IE (I close my eyes, install IE, erase the icons so I don't know it's there, and then wash my hands). In the cxoffice setup you can set up any default browser you wish, so if you want to search on something in the perseus web-site you can use, say, firefox instead of IE (oh happy day).

Why do I use cross-over office? Well, I've tried various ways that are supposed to get BW to install cleanly on linux, with most of the features working. I've not been able to get them to work for some reason. With cxoffice it "just works." Links to perseus, the html help, the diagrammer, the auto-updater, etc... "just work" with no problems. It might be a TAD slower, but frankly, I haven't noticed. (BTW, in general I think BW fonts look better on linux than they do in XP with clear-type enabled...)

I've been using Linux as my only desktop OS for just over 2 years, and linux as my primary for over 4. I love it.

I am sorry I can't be of more help.
I am no computer program, but it appears that the issue has to do with Bible Works reliance on Microsoft Explorer. I know that even in Windows environment MS Explorer must be installed for BWs to function properly. The font size in grammars and other resources is also dependent on MSE see this post(link). (http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/ikb/questions.php?questionid=75)

CapnKirk
12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
This is useful info, thanks. It gives me something else to try. I'll let you know how it works out, although I won't get to it until next week.