PDA

View Full Version : The Machine is not working - and I need some advice

jimofbentley
12-15-2010, 01:51 AM
My computer hard-drive died about two weeks ago. Thankfully I had all my documents backed up on an external drive as well as on a second hard-drive I had installed when I purchased the computer some years ago.

I reloaded XP, Office and BibleWorks - plus whatever else was needed, and instantly started noticing problems.

The computer said that I didn't have a sound card - which is no big deal in itself - but I know it is there.

Then, when I tried to load the upgrades to BibleWorks, they all downloaded fine, but when I went to restart BibleWorks I received an error that said that "The prdocedure entry point ---- could not be located in the dynamic link library" and that this was a "kernal 32" error.
I also tried to download Internet Explorer 8 (XP only had IE6), and I received a similar error message when this tried to load, except it was in a .dll library.

The same happened for one of the service packs to Office.

BibleWorks works just fine (I had to uninstall and reload before it would work at all, that same error mesage kept appearing) just so long as I don't try to download the upgrades. If I download the upgrades, the error message reoccurs and BibleWorks will not open.

Finally, every time I turn on my computer "Notepad" comes on with the following Message:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

Other than refusing to open and apply any downloads (I had forgotten just how bad IE6 was by the way) the computer works fine.

I am no computer person (if it works when I turn it on I am happy), but can anybody here give me some idea of what is going on!

Is this an indication that the computer is dying?

Thanks.

jimofbentley
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I found the problem.

I tried - again - to download the XP Service Pack 2, and this time everything worked well.

IE7 loaded.

BibleWorks updated.

All is right with the world (except for crime, poverty, war, and hunger).

ISalzman
12-17-2010, 10:02 PM
What a relief, Jim! (I don't mean about the crime, poverty, muggings in Central Park, rising corn beef and pastrami prices, etc.!)