PDA

View Full Version : Another MAC/Windows question - Load Windows on MAC?

truedog
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Hello: I posted a question the other day regarding BibleWorks running on a MAC. It looks like we need to run either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to make this happen. Do we also need to load Windows on the MAC, or will BibleWorks run on the MAC with just Parallels or Fusion?

Thanks kindly for your input.
ken

jfidel
12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
You will need a licensed copy of Windows for Parallels or VMware. I run using XP3 because it uses less memory. virtual box, which I am unfamiliar with may be different.

ccozier
12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
It is the case that you will need a license to run Windows in any virtualization environment (VirtualBox, Parallels, Fusion). That is the upside of running it using an emulation solution of Wine with CrossOver (or just Wine by itself for that matter). There are tradeoffs to be made here, emulation loads faster, means you don't have licensing constraints, and you're a bit further away from the "evil empire." Virtualization means everything runs, all the BW feature set is at your disposal, and in my experience is much more stable than emulation.

And it is the case that you want to use XP which has the smallest footprint of the available MS OSes.