PDA

View Full Version : Command line Bugs with Hebrew Continued

benelchi
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
One of the latest updates of bible work has disabled the ability to enter a non-pointed sin/shin (ש) on the command line when using the Israeli keyboard. Every time the a/ש key is pressed the letter is pointed as a shin and this makes it impossible to search for words that contain a sin (like asah/עשה).

Additional problems that still remain.

1) Hebrew is entered as jibberish on the command line unless the CAPS lock is on. This is something I reported more than a year ago!

2) Special search characters (like @) are impossible to enter on the command line with Hebrew text. This again is something I reported to Bibleworks support more than a year ago.

Is there some way that some effort can be made to address the issues with the Israeli keyboard?

For those of us who do touch type in Hebrew, using a non-standard keyboard layout is impractical. And the bugs in the command line interface for Israeli keyboards make entering text for searches extremely difficult (sometimes nearly impossible).

Please HELP!!!

I love the Bibleworks program, and use it nearly every day; however, these bugs in the command line interface are driving me crazy, can't someone at Bibleworks spend a little time trying to address these issues? I would be very willing to help in whatever capacity is need to get this interface fixed.

Mark Eddy
11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Perhaps you did not get any help, because this is not the place to report bugs. We users are not able to fix this. Please send your request here:
Customer Support: Click here (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html)
Mark Eddy

benelchi
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Perhaps you did not get any help, because this is not the place to report bugs. We users are not able to fix this. Please send your request here:
Customer Support: Click here (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html)
Mark Eddy

That is where I sent this request first (still awaiting a response on this latest bug), and that is where I have reported these problems many times in the past. I emailed for support and left a phone messages as well.

I was just hoping that someone from Bibleworks might be following the forums too.

MBushell
11-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Nothing has changed in the keyboard routines since the release of BibleWorks 8 so I don't know origin of the perceived change in functionality.

There is a flag in Setup | Flags | Configuration options to activate minimal use of the Israeli Keyboard. However all this does is map the English keyboard to the Israeli keyboard. So, for example, if BW sees a 'b' it changes it yo 'n'. It does not actually use the installed system Hebrew keyboard and does not support the full Israeli keyboard. It was just and experiment that did not get very far. It will NOT work at all if the system Hebrew keyboard is activated. It just works with the English keyboard to remap some of the keys to simulate some aspects of the Israeli keyboard. All it does is map these characters

"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW XYZ"

to these characters

"vnbgqk[ynxlkcmmpfrdawh sjztvnbgqk[ynxlkcmmpfrdawh sjz"

For example, if the user types a 'b' on the English keyboard, the program behaves like the user had typed 'n'. So in some respects it emulates the Hebrew keyboard layout.

If someone who uses the Israeli keyboard wants to modify the above string to work better, I would be happy to change the program. However, we will not be able right now to provide full support for the Israeli keyboard on the command line.

We strongly encourage users to take advantage of the default method of entering Hebrew searches on the command line. It is designed to enable you to enter everything you need to for a Hebrew or Greek search without having to switch keyboards. It is all done via the English keyboard and fonts are switched automatically depending on the context. When you type an '@' character the program knows to switch to an English font for entering morphological codes. We could (and may some day) add support through an IME window like we do for Chinese, but having to enter mixed Hebrew and English on the same line this way would involve many more keystrokes than what you have to do now. It will be much slower and more awkward.

Hope this helps.

Mike