PDA

View Full Version : How to search a special sentence and a form in the Hebrew Bible?

joker
11-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi,

I am looking for the possibility of searching a special sentence with a following form.

In my special case, I found 293 matches for 'hwhy rma hk (= Thus saith the LORD). Now I am searching for this string followed by an imperative somewhere after this string. I know, that I can search imperatives by typing .@v?v*in WTM, but I do not know how to combine these two types of searches.

Help is highly appreciated :)

Thank you in advance,

Joker

Mark Eddy
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I made a GSE query for you, starting with searching on the WTT string כֹּֽה־אָמַ֤ר יְהוָה֙. Then when this string was on the command line, I clicked "Tools" under the command line, and chose "Graphic Search Engine." I made the query which displayed there into a subquery, added a couple more Merge boxes, made one a subquery, in which I searched WTM for imperative verbs, and joined the two subqueries to the main "And" Merge box.
This search does not assure you that all the imperatives follow "Thus says the LORD," but it narrows your search down to 67 verses. Copy the attached .qf file into your BW "ase" folder. Then open it by opening the GSE, clicking on the file icon, and finding it in the list. I hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

joker
11-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Dear Mark,

I would like to thank you very much for your work! The GSE is a bit hard to learn at first, and although I wrote some working queries in it, this possibility you designed was new to me. It seems to work fine.

I am more familiar with the command line. I played around a bit and found the following command line in WTM doing the same as the query in GSE: ('hwhy rma hk) (*@v?v*).

This seems to work for me.

Again a big thank you!

Joker