PDA

View Full Version : How to buy BDAG

jgwalker
11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm considering getting BDAG but am torn between getting the physical book and getting the unlocked module within Bibleworks. The ease of use of the other lexicons makes the electronic purchase a tempting option, but for sheer longevity it's hard to beat a paper book.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

Lee
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not one who generally throws away money frivolously, but I have both, and I believe that it is money well spent. BDAG is worth it's weight in gold (I guess the add-on is weightless--I'm referring to the physical book on that comment).

But I will say, since I got the BW add-on, I use the book far less. Most of the time, it is just much more convenient in BW, especially when traveling.

BW reminds us often that the formats of electronic books are ever changing, and what you buy today may not be viewable on tomorrow's computer. But if you are like me, you will use BDAG on BW so much that you will get your money's worth in a relatively short time.

Personally, if I were starting over from scratch today, I would probably get the BDAG add-on (with HALOT too!--that's a true bargain on BW); and if the day came when I could no longer read it on my computer, I would buy the hard copy then. By then, hopefully used copies of BDAG will be more plentiful and cheaper than they are now.

Adelphos
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd say it's pretty doggone simple.

If you want speed, portability, and seamless integration, get the electronic edition. If you take a computer with you that has BW on it, you'll always have BDAG with you wherever you go.

If you buy the book, it will look pretty nice on your bookshelf, but it's fairly big, and would be cumbersome to pack, and furthermore, you'll have to keep it nearby while you sift through page after page trying to look up words while glancing from your computer screen back to the book, and vice versa.

I'd say, on average, that a person very familiar with Greek would still be able to look up about seven to ten words in the electronic edition compared to a single word in the printed edition speedwise when you consider that you have to grab the book, flip through the pages, et cetera.

As far as longetivity, do you think computers are going to go out of style or something? :confused:

rdtaylorjr
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I have both also, but I would definitely recommend the BW version. I almost never use the print version anymore after buying the BW add-on. For any other type of book, I'm still very hesitant about switching to electronic versions, but for lexicons, you just can't beat placing your cursor over the text and having the result of an immense amount of scholarship pop up immediately.

If you have any interest in Hebrew at all, I too would highly recommend that you invest in the BDAG/HALOT addon.

Best wishes!

Rusty Taylor

ISalzman
11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Rusty, do you teach at TEDS?

jgwalker
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the comments, I think overall I was tending to the electronic edition. My reservations aren't that computers are going to go out of style, but software does. However I have to agree that the sheer convenience of electronic lookup is almost irresistable for a lexicon.

I'm only starting my Hebrew studies, but I'll consider HALOT too

Adelphos
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
If you know you're going to end up getting Halot in addition to BDAG, and if you have the money now, buying them as a package saves almost $100 US. In other words, you spend almost $100 US more if you buy them separately.

jgwalker
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I appreciate the saving in the bundle, unfortunately BDAG is a stretch right now. I need to think seriously before going that extra leg.