PDA

View Full Version : Greek Tools

ISalzman
11-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the following volumes:

Max Zerwick and Mary Grosvenor, “A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament” (Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 5th Revised edition, 1 July 2010)

Max Zerwick, “Biblical Greek: Illustrated with Examples” (Scripta Pontificii Instituti Biblici, December 1998)

I've not had opportunity to examine either of them in my hands, but from all accounts, they appear to be useful Greek tools, especially for analyzing the Greek. I have several questions for any that have any experience with these works:

1. Are they a worthwhile investment? And

2. If you get the collaborative volume by both Zerwick and Grosvenor, is there any need to get Zerwick's earlier work? In other words, would I just be duplicating if I got both resources?

3. Somewhat related to question 2, if I were only going to get one of the above books, which would be the better one to get? Or would I be best served by getting both?

Grateful for any insights and feedback.

Lee
11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I have Max and Mary. I have found it a useful tool in the past, but to be honest, I do not think I have used it since I got BibleWorks. I'm sure I will use it in the future, but its usefulness is somewhat limited now. So to answer your questions,

1. Yes to Max and Mary, but I would not call it indispensable for one who has BW or similar software readily available. It does provides analysis that BW doesn't.

2. I do not have Zerwick's grammar, but I probably will at some point. Max and Mary is keyed to Zerwick's grammar, so if you want to see how they define the syntactical terms they are using, you will have to look it up in his grammar.

3. I think I kind of answered your question above. But if you just want a Greek grammar, get Zerwick's grammar. If you want a verse-by-verse analysis of the NT, get Max and Mary. And, as noted above, the grammar is a valuable supplement to Max and Mary.

I hope this is of some help.

ISalzman
11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks Lee.

You can actually get Zerwick as a BibleWorks module here: http://store.bibleworks.com/ZERW.html. It's relatively inexpensive too.