PDA

View Full Version : Patch Files not opening

Van Berean
11-11-2010, 07:52 PM
What a terrific piece of software.

Seems one of my laptops is struggling to open patch files though.

It say's stuff like "couldn't open patch file...pbn" and progress bar stops.

My Windows 7 laptop doesn't have that problem. Is it an XP issue?

Thanks again for such a great work,
Ron

Lee
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Ron,

I run Vista and have not had the problem you mention. That doesn't prove a cause/effect relationship with XP, but it might be a possibility.

And yes, BW is terrific. I'm a newcomer myself, and have been kicking myself for not purchasing it 5 years earlier. When I first got BW, several helpful individuals provided suggestions to me here on the board (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4518-Bibleworks-vs.-Logos-vs.-Accordance-Interface&p=22559#post22559) that you might find helpful as well.

Welcome to the "family"!

Lee

Mark Eddy
11-12-2010, 08:56 PM
If I remember correctly, when BW8 first came out one of the first fixes was the way patches are applied. I suggest you download only the BibleWorks Executable patch first (8.0.018s today). After that patch is installed and BW8 reopens, then try to apply the other patches. If that doesn't work, then it would appear that a file became corrupted, and you might need to re-install the program. But I update regularly on an XP machine, and I have not had any problems applying patches.
Mark Eddy

Van Berean
11-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Mark and Lee,

Really appreciate the support.
Tried that exe. patch and got a bwupd 001 error.
Update failed because BW wouldn't shut down. It told me not to run multiple copies, system utilities or accelerators.
Turned out it was SpyBot utility messing me up.
Not finding SpyBot too helpful anyway. AVG Free seems sufficient.

Thanks Again,
Ron