PDA

View Full Version : External Link e-Sword

Adelphos
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
My main computer died and so I've had to set up my BW configurations on my other computer. I can get the ELM to open e-Sword, but I can't remember what command I use to make e-Sword open to the verse I'm in in BW. Does anyone know?

MGVH
11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
This does it for me in terms of opening to the verse I'm studying.

Adelphos
11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks a bunch, Mark. That is exactly what I was looking for. I was missing the data in the Parameters field.

Andrew
02-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Mark, I tried your setup as posted. It opens E-Sword for me, but does not go to the verse. Is there anything I might be missing in the parameters field?

MGVH
02-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Double check that BW is providing the Verse Reference and Bible Verse in the top of the ELM window.

On the parameter line, make sure that it is this:
-v <book> <chapter>:<verse>

Note: minus before v; spaces before/after the book
It's possible that not all BW book names have a match in eSword book names...

DavidR
02-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I just took a look at the e-Sword Web site, and I'm wondering what it has that BW lacks, other than being free. I can't find a list of Bible versions that it contains, but I'm wondering what advantage there would be in having both programs.

Thanks!

MGVH
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I still keep e-Sword around for a variety of reasons:

Bibles:You can get the Good News and CEV versions which are not available in BW. (Usually, though, I check these by using an external link from BW.)
STEP Viewer: I have some older books from back in the day (Parsons) that used the STEP format, notably, HC Kee's Cambridge Annotated Bible. e-Sword has a built-in STEP viewer so I can still use it.
Graphics: There are some interesting and useful graphics modules (ABS maps, some art, and some classic atlases)

DavidR
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks! :)

Joan Korte
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I just took a look at the e-Sword Web site, and I'm wondering what it has that BW lacks, other than being free. I can't find a list of Bible versions that it contains, but I'm wondering what advantage there would be in having both programs.

Thanks!
If you like commentaries, e-sword has quite a few, including Pulpit Commentary and Biblical Illustrator which were modules created by users. To peruse their modules, you can find them in the downloads section: http://www.biblesupport.com/

Lee
02-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks!

To add to Joan's comment, e-Sword has an interface that is suited for viewing commentaries. It just takes one click to go between any of numerous commentaries on one verse. BibleWorks really was not designed for this purpose.

DavidR
02-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks to Joan and Lee as well.

Andrew
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Double check that BW is providing the Verse Reference and Bible Verse in the top of the ELM window.

On the parameter line, make sure that it is this:
-v <book> <chapter>:<verse>

Note: minus before v; spaces before/after the book
It's possible that not all BW book names have a match in eSword book names...

Mark, thanks for the response. I double checked all the settings and it's still not working. I also tried several books of the Bible with the same result.
The other thing I find is that once E-Sword is open and I try to access it through BW, I get the message "E-Sword is already running".

Andrew
02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Mark, thanks for the response. I double checked all the settings and it's still not working. I also tried several books of the Bible with the same result.
The other thing I find is that once E-Sword is open and I try to access it through BW, I get the message "E-Sword is already running".

OK, I figured out the problem. I downloaded the new version of E-Sword and it's working. The only issue now is that if I want to go to E-Sword when it's already running, it opens another instance of E-Sword every time. Do you have that problem?

Nord Zootman
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
The only issue now is that if I want to go to E-Sword when it's already running, it opens another instance of E-Sword every time. Do you have that problem?

I tried this and had the same problem.