PDA

View Full Version : μιμνησκω/μναομαι

Lee
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a question that I am not sure is a lexical issue I am forgetting (no pun intended) or if it is a BW issue. The word commonly translated "remember" in such passages as Matt. 5:23; John 2:17, 22; et al., shows up as μναομαι in BW. Yet every lexicon I have consulted says the root is μιμνησκω, and I feel fairly confident that is correct. What is going on here?

MGVH
10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
You must be using the BYZ text which uses the Robinson-Pierpont morphology. All the other Greek morphological versions analyze it with μιμνησκω (or its deponent form). I believe μναομαι is simply an older form upon which μιμνησκω and its conjugations depend.

Lee
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
You must be using the BYZ text which uses the Robinson-Pierpont morphology. All the other Greek morphological versions analyze it with μιμνησκω (or its deponent form). I believe μναομαι is simply an older form upon which μιμνησκω and its conjugations depend.

Yes, I was using the Robinson-Pierpont text. Thanks for pointing out the difference in morphologies--I hadn't thought to see what a different text might produce. So whoever analyzed the R-P text for morphology here offered a dissenting opinion?

MGVH
10-05-2010, 12:21 AM
No...
They just related the word to a more archaic root. The two words are usually cross-referenced in the lexicon.