PDA

View Full Version : Daily Devotional Scripture Reading

bkMitchell
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
(1) Do you have a daily devotional reading of Scripture?

(2) If you answered 'yes' do you tend to use:
(a)printed Bible
(b)digital Bible
(c)audio Bible
(d)or a combination?

(3)And, Why?

bkMitchell
09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
(1) Yes, I do

(2) Most often I tend to use a printed text to read from the Psalter.
I also use the"daily light" module in BibleWorks, too (Because, it is just so much fun).
Sometimes, on the way to a congregation I like to listen to audio scriptures.

(3) I don't have the words to express it but there is just something special about holding a printed Bible in hand and reading through the Psalter (especially a metric one) or any other book of the Bible.

Also, a good Hebrew Bible with bold print and Vanilla pages is so much easier on my eyes for long reading than a computer screen.

And, a big point for me is: Reading from a printed Bible keeps me from falling into the temptation to run queries on the text, and helps me to stay focused on the large textual context rather than on the trivia(which usually only leads me on to more questions).

Lee
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
1. Yes

2. Printed, although I have been known to use the other two forms you mentioned as well. The audio Bible is limited to traveling, but I do quite a bit of that.

3. Primarily, I use a printed Bible because it just seems more natural to me. I can go through the text much quicker and absorb it much better.

jimofbentley
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
1) Yes.

2) Printed Bible

3) I prefer books to computers (although I obviously use a compter), and have found it easier to read and engage with a book than with a screen. Even when I proofread a document (Sunday's sermon or essays when I was at University), I always print it out first, make the changes on the printed page, and then go back and change the text in the computer.

This is simply a symptom of my age as I'm sure the "younger generation" are much more used to reading off of a screen.

Sansom48
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
(1) Yes

(2) For my devotions I use a printed Bible

(3)I use the printed Bible for many reasons most of all is because I like to use just a straight Bible with no notes or commentary and to use the computer I would be tempted to always use that. It is also easier on my eyes than the computer.