PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite BibleWorks feature?

bkMitchell
09-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Greetings fellow BibleWorks users and forum members,

I would like to ask the following questions:

(1)What are your favorite and most used features in BibleWorks?
(2)How do you use it/them?
(3)How often do you use it/them?

bkMitchell
09-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Since, I ask the questions I guess I will start...

My favorite feature is probably the the Graphic search engine.

Apart, from that I enjoy using the "daily light devotional" module

(Of, course the ability to cut and past in Unicode and quick links to information when the curser hovers over words is pretty useful too. )

I use the "daily light devotional" to take my mind of work or to refresh my mind for work. And, of course I use the GSE for inquiry.

I use the "daily light devotional" module twice a day and I us ually use the graphic search engine(and morphological databases) at least 10 times a week.

Adelphos
09-30-2010, 07:21 AM
If you had asked me before upgrading to BW 8 which feature I would remove if I had to remove a single feature, it would have been Bagster's Daily Light.

Now my day doesn't work right without it. It's the first thing I read when I fire up the computer in the morning, and I usually use it to warm up my heart for prayer. In other words, Daily Light is first, prayer is second, then actually reading the Word and meditation comes third. I find Daily Light to be the perfect kick-starter.

In fact, I very often have to force myself not to cheat and see what the next day's reading is going to be. Literally.

With regard to early morning devotional, I'm still doing this after ten years... I'm on the last volume now at least -- http://lamblion.net/Articles/ScottJones/early_morning.htm

There are too many other features to mention here, but I also like the Cross-Referencing Tool -- actually, the entire Analysis grouping, as I use most of them a lot -- but I also like some tools that I would love to see improvement on, especially the Synopsis Tool.

Lee
09-30-2010, 09:17 AM
I guess my favorite and most used features are the simple search functions, browse window, and lexicons. But as for a more unique feature that I really like, I would have to say the right click "Search on Lemma" function. It is a tremendous time saver.

I use the "Search on Lemma" function in place of doing a search in BGM, BYM, or WTM. I sometimes even use it when searching on more than one term; i.e., run the "Search on Lemma" function, then "Make Search Results New Search Limits."

Maybe not every day, but several times a week.

bobvenem
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
1. "Search on lemma/homonym;" the Resources tab for background on search results; the "Look up in dictionary/maps" function; the "Build User Version" function (searchable Shakespeare, anyone?)

2. I tried using BW for making blueberry pancakes. I was disappointed. :cool:

3. I use the Search functions and Resource tab at least once every day (writing curriculum, answering students' questions).

Soxfan23
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
1. This is such a tough question to answer. It's like asking what book of the Bible is your favorite. I would say the thing I really enjoy (among a thousand others but that hasn't been mentioned yet) is the user notes feature.

2. I use this feature to take notes during class, to link to articles I may have downloaded that are particularly good, to link to electronic version of class notes, to link to papers I have written, to type in quotes or sections from books that deal with a particular passage, to type my study notes in when I'm studying a particular book or pericope, and to compile all of my notes about a passage I'm preaching on (followed by gathering it all together with the report generator).

3. This fluctuates due to what classes I'm taking, what teaching commitments I have, and what my personal interests are at the time. But all in all, I'd say I use this feature 3-5 days/wk.

Adelphos
09-30-2010, 07:32 PM
12. I tried using BW for making blueberry pancakes. I was disappointed.

BW still has a glitch with blueberries, but it works like a charm with strawberries and plain batter.

Michael Hanel
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
1. "Search on lemma/homonym;" the Resources tab for background on search results; the "Look up in dictionary/maps" function; the "Build User Version" function (searchable Shakespeare, anyone?)

I would not be near the enthusiast I am if BW did not have the ability to add in your own databases. Now granted, it's still not as slick as I'd want (the font conversion for Greek databases), but much better than anything any other competitors have and it greatly increases the value of the program.

Adelphos
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I would not be near the enthusiast I am if BW did not have the ability to add in your own databases. Now granted, it's still not as slick as I'd want (the font conversion for Greek databases), but much better than anything any other competitors have and it greatly increases the value of the program.

I was going to mention that, but didn't want to get into it too much. For starters, the ability in and of itself is absolutely outstanding.

But I would love to see an improvement in one specific area, and that is the font matter.

Right now, it is extremely difficult to make a Hebrew database because you have to do everything in CCAT.

Plus, if export a Hebrew text into RTF, there are problems with verses which are longer than one line. For example, export a couple of chapters of WTT into RTF and open it with Word, and then see if the verse numbers aren't misaligned in verses longer than one line.

I would really love the ability to EASILY make Hebrew databases working with a native Hebrew font instead of CCAT.

bkMitchell
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Thank you:

Michael Hanel, Pasquale Amicarelli, Jim Darlack, Willem Swanepoel, richardsugg, Scott Jones, and especially Ewan MacLeod For your enthusiasm and work creating databases for use with BibleWorks

This is a point. I think I and maybe others here can really agree with:

Right now, it is extremely difficult to make a Hebrew database because you have to do everything in CCAT...
I would not want all the databases to be in unicode at this point. There are still some serious issue regarding accent/vowel placement in Hebrew Unicode format. However,
It would be nice if they added a converter program to allow one to type/enter text in unicode and convert it to CCAT/BETA CODE.

I find Daily Light to be the perfect kick-starter.
In fact, I very often have to force myself not to cheat and see what the next day's reading is going to be. Literally.

LOL, this is true for me as well!

jthomp
10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
There's no doubt that BW8's search functions are my most used tools: the cross version search, the KWIC/Collocation Table Module and the lemma search function. All of these get used every time I open BW8. They are extremely fast and versatile, much faster than a competitor application I own.

Sansom48
10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
ever since I discovered it I have really enjoyed using the KWIC feature, but the related phrase tool is also very helpful and I use it often.

jthomp
10-03-2010, 12:14 AM
ever since I discovered it I have really enjoyed using the KWIC feature, but the related phrase tool is also very helpful and I use it often.

I haven't experimented with that one but it looks like there are some interesting possibilities with it...

jthomp
10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Greetings fellow BibleWorks users and forum members,

I would like to ask the following questions:

Brian, thanks for starting this thread! As a result, I've gone back through many of BW8's functions and tools and sort of re-acquainted myself with them.... found a few I hadn't used in a while. Sometimes because we do the same things all the time it's easy to forget the wealth of capabilities this application has! :cool:

bkMitchell
10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Brian, thanks for starting this thread!...Sometimes because we do the same things all the time it's easy to forget the wealth of capabilities this application has! :cool:

You're welcome...

And I agree with you, it easy really easy to forget, over look, or never be aware of the treasures in Bibleworks. But, it's kind of logical:

When an application such as Bibleworks has as many features as it does variety of users, it isn't hard to imagine how innovative and versatile it must be.