PDA

View Full Version : Text Comparison Error?

christlove
09-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Hey Dudes!

I need to compare some differences from Westcott-Hort&Tischendorf to 27th Nestle-Aland. I guess the best way to do this is to put the mentioned Versions in the text comparison tool and set a color. Today I came across with 1.Thessalonians 2:11 which has obviously differences to one another. I just wondered why it wonŽt show the differences by the setting color in that case? Can anybody help me? Or is there a rub in it?

Steffen

christlove
09-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Ohhh, I just figured out that the end of Verse 11 from WHO+TIS belongs in the BGT to Verse 12. So I guess the comparison tool does not mention displacements within the text resp. verses...?

Steffen

Glenn Weaver
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Unless I am missing something, it appears that the text of 1Th 2:11-12 is identical between BGT, WHO, and TIS. If you add BYZ to the list, then there is one variant highlighted.

Blessings,

christlove
09-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Glenn and the others.

I just figured out that whatever version youŽve displayed at the same time in the browse tab and browse window does not displaying more than one verse in the browse window while havin multiple version mode on - provided that the version displayed in multiple version mode is not the same as the current search version. Maybe this is intended because the browse tab shows you anyway the running text. But it gets more interesting if you choose the BGT and type "1th 2:11-12" and having also the BGT on in the browse tab. You will notice that multiple version mode shows only BGT with two verses and WHO+TIS only with vers 11. Pretty strange...
I got also a bit confused that in the browse mode it shows very much highlighted text within these two verses no matter whether you choose TIS, WHO or BGT in the browse mode/tab. I guess the point why text is getting highlighted here is that, as I already mentionend, the end of vers 11 in WHO+TIS belongs in the BGT to verse 12. As you said, the text is actually identical (if you donŽt consider the text displacement within the two verses). Still remains the question why the text displacement within those verses is only highlighted while running the browse mode and not the multiple version mode?

look at those two screenshots: the first shows WHO activated in browse window with multiple version mode and in the browse tab in browse mode. WHO shows only vers 11 in multiple version mode and surprisingly highlighted text in vers 11 and 12 (BGT TIS WHO compared)! You can do the same thing with TIS and you will notice that WHO will appear with vers 11-12 and will not show the highlighted text which you can see here with browse mode on. So I guess thereŽs a problem with displaying highlighted text within the multiple version mode here...?
The second shows BGT activated in browse window with multiple version mode on and in the browse tab with browse mode. If you look at WHO an TIS you will see that the versions are only displaying vers 11, and not as correct Vers 11-12.

Any suggestions? Any catch in there?

Steffen

Mark Eddy
09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
In cases where editors of the verious Greek texts place certain words or phrases in different verses from the GNT version, in order for the corresponding texts to display together in the Browse window in multiple versions mode, BibleWorks uses something called Verse Map Files. When you are in multiple version mode, only one verse displays in your search version, but other versions will display both verses where the verse map files designate them to do so.
It does seem odd that if you type two verses on the search line, e.g. 1Th 2:11-12, the two verses display in the search version, but only one verse displays in the other versions. I would have expected both verses to display in all versions in such a case.
In any case, the highlighting (or lack of highlighting in cases where the words are in different verses in different versions) is intentional. By not highlighting the words, the BW user knows that the words which he may not see in a given verse are actually included in the other version(s), but they are included in a different verse. Since originally the Bible did not have verse divisions, the lack of highlighting in such cases shows that the underlying texts are in fact the same.
Apparently the verse map files do not affect the Browse Tab of the Analysis Window in the same way that they affect the Browse Window. The programmers may wish to tinker with that, because the highlighting in the Browse Tab does give the impression that large amounts of text are missing from at least one of the comparison versions, when that is NOT the case.
However, it may be that the programmers never intended the text comparison settings to work the same in the Brows Tab of the Analysis Window as they do in the Browse Window itself. They may wish to turn off the highlighting in the Browse Tab, since it always displays only one version at a time. Or they may wish to make both windows use the verse map files in the same way.
They may be open to suggestions about which way users would want it to display in the Browse Tab. So, make your suggestions, and the programmers may take a look at it.
Mark Eddy

christlove
09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey Mark.

Thank you so much for your advice with the verse map files. I never thought BW could fix the problems I experience - especially the highlighting problem. I went to the verse mapping files-option and changed in the WHO-Version the destination version in 1Th 2:11 from GNT to TIS and the other way around i did this with the TIS-Version - changed in that version from GNT to WHO. After that the two verses in the browse window appear properly with multiple version mode when I type 2th 2:11-12 - nevermind which search version I choose. Thats awesome and i never expected that the programm has an option to fix that.
The other great news is that the highlighting text now appears properly as I wished. That means even the text which is in another verse but is although the same text is appearing with the comparison module. I guess thats due to my changes I made in the verse mapping files option that the text comparison module shows me an verse-for-verse comparison. The only downer is that its only showing the compared text within the browse mode and not in the multiple version mode. But thats not that bad for now. IŽm pretty happy cause I didnŽt even expect that the other problems could be solved. Thought its a bug or something.

The highlighting text now as you see: Browse Window shows the WHO as example (you could just as well pick TIS) and the BGT in browse tab. YouŽll notice that the differences between the three versions are properly displayed exactly as I wanted it - amazing...774

So you talked about making suggestions... I guess it would be nice if the highlighted text of the text comparison module could be displayed in multiple version mode properly. It would be good if that could be fixed sometimes....

Best wishes to you and the whole BW-Staff. Thx so much for you guys...

Steffen

christlove
09-19-2010, 09:15 AM
little addition...

The displaying of the two verses are only working while having multiple version mode on. If you type the passage (or whatever passage you may wish) while having browse mode on it wonŽt oddly work. If you change after typing the passage in to multiple version mode you will notice that the current search version will only display the first verse of the typed passage. Even if you change after youŽve typed the passage successfully in within the multiple version mode to browse mode and again back to multiple version mode youŽll see that its only displaying one verse of the current search version....So thats another suggestion to maybe sometimes fix that....

Steffen

Mark Eddy
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
little addition...

... if you change ... to browse mode and again back to multiple version mode youŽll see that its only displaying one verse of the current search version....So thats another suggestion to maybe sometimes fix that....

This is due to the fact that in BibleWorks the "verse history list" does not record multiple verses, only the first verse of the string which you searched. So, when you go back to it, instead of displaying multiple verses, it displays only the first verse (in the search version). If multiple verses in other versions are mapped to that verse, multiple verses will display in those versions.

Mark Eddy

christlove
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Ok, thx Mark, sounds logical.

Steffen