PDA

View Full Version : RTF To CCAT

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Anybody know a way to convert RTF to CCAT so BibleWorks can import it into user database?

Right now I'm replacing a few selections in the DLZ to conform more truly to the real Delitzsch, but doing so in a text file is hard because you can't really reconize the words. It would be simple to do so in an RTF file, but then I need to get the RTF file into BibleWorks identifiable format for import.

Michael Hanel
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Anybody know a way to convert RTF to CCAT so BibleWorks can import it into user database?

Right now I'm replacing a few selections in the DLZ to conform more truly to the real Delitzsch, but doing so in a text file is hard because you can't really reconize the words. It would be simple to do so in an RTF file, but then I need to get the RTF file into BibleWorks identifiable format for import.

I'm a bit confused. Are you asking for a Hebrew font converting macro?

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm a bit confused. Are you asking for a Hebrew font converting macro?

If I export the DLZ to a CCAT file, it is very difficult to make replacements because I have to go through the transliterations, which are cumberson to deal with.

However, if I export the DLZ to an RTF file, I can easily recognize and make the necessary replacements, but then, as far as I know, you can't use an RTF file to import back into a user-created database.

So I need to get that RTF file into a correct CCAT format so I can import it.

Is there a way to do this? Or is there an easier way to go about it?

I've already exported the DLZ to a CCAT and have made a couple of replacements, i.e., 1 Timothy 3:16 and 1 Corinthians 10:9, but that's all so far.

If I have to keep making replacements in the CCAT file, then I'll just do a few and import that back in, and then make additional changes as I feel like it.

But it would be a whole lot easier if I could deal with the text in Hebrew characters instead of BW's transliteration scheme.

Michael Hanel
09-08-2010, 09:02 PM
If I export the DLZ to a CCAT file, it is very difficult to make replacements because I have to go through the transliterations, which are cumberson to deal with.

However, if I export the DLZ to an RTF file, I can easily recognize and make the necessary replacements, but then, as far as I know, you can't use an RTF file to import back into a user-created database.

So I need to get that RTF file into a correct CCAT format so I can import it.

Is there a way to do this? Or is there an easier way to go about it?

I've already exported the DLZ to a CCAT and have made a couple of replacements, i.e., 1 Timothy 3:16 and 1 Corinthians 10:9, but that's all so far.

If I have to keep making replacements in the CCAT file, then I'll just do a few and import that back in, and then make additional changes as I feel like it.

But it would be a whole lot easier if I could deal with the text in Hebrew characters instead of BW's transliteration scheme.

So you're looking for a Bwhebb<-->CCAT font conversion macro. I know there are such Greek macros, but I just don't follow the Hebrew discussions on this to know if there are any.

A different idea. I don't know if this works because I don't make Hebrew databases, but can't you just work completely in Bwhebb and import it back using BW native option rather than CCAT or does that not work? Save the file as plain text rather than RTF once you're done editing, if RTF is the only problem. If Hebrew requires the verse reference to be first rather than last, make a find and replace to separate the verse references by a tab character, paste it into excel and put the references into the column before rather than after the verse chunks.

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
A different idea. I don't know if this works because I don't make Hebrew databases, but can't you just work completely in Bwhebb and import it back using BW native option rather than CCAT or does that not work?

That's so simple I didn't think of it. I think I can just open the CCAT file in Word, select all and then change the font to BW, then when I'm done, change it back again!!!

I will give that a try, probably not tonight, but tommorow. Thanks for a very simple but I hope very effective solution.

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
No, it won't work. The Hebrew is backwards when I change the font.

Oh well. I will just make the few sea changes I'm interested in for now and then make as others as I get time. At least the few sea changes such as those I've already mentioned, and few others, will make it much better.

Now all I gotta do is figure out which 3-letter acronym I want to use! :cool:

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Actually, I have found it easier than I thought with regard to dealing with the transliteration, so I will probably make my DLT version (Delitzsch True) available in the next day or two with several of the more important changes.

Once I get posted for download on my website, I'll notify here and then you can make it available on your blog if want. No need to ask my permission. Just grab and go. And as I make additional changes after that, i.e., when I've got enough changes to repost, I'll continue to notify you here so you can grab anytime you want and post anytime you want.

Michael Hanel
09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
No, it won't work. The Hebrew is backwards when I change the font.

Oh well. I will just make the few sea changes I'm interested in for now and then make as others as I get time. At least the few sea changes such as those I've already mentioned, and few others, will make it much better.

Now all I gotta do is figure out which 3-letter acronym I want to use! :cool:

Backwards eh? Hmm. This might be laborious to figure out, but surely there's an Excel command to reverse columns so Column A becomes Z and vice versa. If there is, you take the text as you had it before, throw aside the book name references for later, copy the text alone column back into Word, do a replace all "(space character)" for a tab character (this gives each word its own column). Then copy that to Excel. Find the way to reverse the order of columns. Add back book names to a new column A. Copy back to Word, remove tabs for spaces, replace double spaces for single spaces until none are left.

In theory that should work.

Or...just do what you're doing now :cool:

Also -- FYI, booknames are req'd to be 3 letters, but version IDs can be longer (in case you want a better ID than DLT).

Adelphos
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm getting used to the transliteration, and I'm only making sea changes, as it were, so I think I'm set.

Of course, Irving won't like the fact that I changed "et" to "etsel" in John 1:2, but I'm not even gonna tell him. :cool:

That's the only non-sea change I've made so far. The rest are such as elohim in 1 Timothy 3:16, hamashiac in 1 Corinthians 10:9, and also a few lesser changes, like I've changed matza to kibla in Hebrews 11:11, and the only reason I caught that one is because it's one of the verses where there can be a significant difference between the two texts.

Delitzsch has kibla in his real version, and of course that not only correctly matches the Greek, but it's a lot more sound doctrinally.

So anyway, those are the kinds of changes, in general, that are being made, and I'm only doing what I catch and what I consider to be really necessary.

Some passages are a complete mess, such as 1 Peter 3:11, plus the verses fore and aft. I had to straighten the whole mess out for my triglot, and I reckon it will take a few times to get right in the transliteration, but as you can see, it's a mess in the DLZ, and it's not all due to verse mapping.

As I said, I hope to have a preliminary version of DLT available soon.