PDA

View Full Version : Simple GSE query I can't seem to create

SteveO
08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Just trying to learn the GSE in BibleWorks 7 (assuming it's the same in 8?).

All I wanted to do was create a command line query where:

the phrase "faith in + (Jesus OR Christ)" occurs.

As it stands right now, I've got myself so turned around in BW7 that I can't create that query in either the command line use Reg Expr or the GSE.

Yaku Lee
08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Try the following and see if that gives you what you want.

MGVH
08-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Yaku Lee has correctly and most efficiently answered the question, but there are a couple other ways to think about a search like this.

You could use the command line and run this search: 'faith in Jesus
(The apostrophe indicates you are looking for that exact phrase.) You would then send the results to the Verse List Manager. Repeat the search again using 'faith in Christ and send those results to the Verse List Manager. Then, merge the lists.
From the command line, you could also try this search: (faith in).(/jesus christ)
This is not looking for the phrase you want but only the combination of words. You will, therefore, get quite a few false hits, but you will also surface phrases like "faith in the Lord Jesus" (Eph 1.15) or "the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus " (1 Tim 1.14) or "in the faith that is in Christ Jesus" (1 Tim 3.13).

BTW, I was using the NRSV, so your results will vary depending on the English translation you use. Of course, you really want to be searching the Greek, but that does get rather tricky in this particular example. (Word order does not matter in Greek. Acts like to use faith with εις to indicate the object. Paul and others use faith and the genitive of the object. Other authors use faith with εν to indicate the object.) The attached query file is about as close as you can get, I think.

SteveO
09-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Ok, so the responses confirm that I was at least coming to a common conclusion: I can't do that kind of query neatly with one command line query. I'm just really starting to try and learn that utility and I kept thinking there had to be something I was missing! :)

I will try the suggested GSE query and see where that leads.

Thanks much!

-steveO

SteveO
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Try the following and see if that gives you what you want.

Ok, what I was missing when I attempted the query previously using the GSE was to add an additional "ordering" box from "in" to BOTH "Jesus" and "Christ". I tried lamely to add a single ordering box ("exactly 0 words intervening") to both Jesus and Christ.

Your GSE query did the trick exactly!!

Thanks!

-steveO

Jim Wert
09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
If "Regular Expression Searches" work in your installation of BibleWorks, here is an alternate solution.
There have been some problems with regular expression searches working for some people and not for others in BW8. They didn't work for me with the previous update, they do for the most recent update. They do work for me in BW7. But do not trust the statistics -- they are better in BW7, but still may not be quite right.

The following search on the command line
~faith in (Jesus|Christ)
worked for me in both BW7 and BW8, and gave exactly the same results as Mark's suggestion of running
'faith in jesus
&
'faith in christ
and merging the results.

Note that capitalization has no effect on normal command line searches, but is important in "Regular Expression" command line searches. ~faith in (jesus|christ) would not find anything. (Which makes it handy for distinguishing between things like GOD, God and god or lord, Lord and LORD, but more complicated when capitalization is not important)

--Jim

MGVH
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I spent some time trying to figure out what you came up with, Jim. Thanks!
I was unaware of the use of the | metacharacter for "alternation," but I see from your example that it is a valid use which I found under the "Regular Expression Syntax Summary" in the Help file.
Thanks again for finding this clever way of conducting the search.