PDA

View Full Version : Search Hit Results and Summary

ISalzman
08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
When you run a search in the Analysis Window, a little summary report of the search results is generated in the Status Bar at the bottom of the program, below the Analysis Window. Typically the four stats generated are: # of verses in which the search term shows up, # of inflected forms in which the lemma occurs, # of hits, and speed of the search in seconds. I seem to recall, unless I'm completely mistaken, that one used to be able to double click that area of the Status Bar for more details. Am I correct here or am I totally off base? For example, I just did a lemma search on the word כְנַעֲנִ֥י in Zech 14:21. The Status Bar shows that the lemma occurs in 71 verses, in 3 forms, 73 hits, and the search took all of 0.02 seconds to execute.

I was interested in knowing what three forms the lemma occurred in. I was hoping or thinking that there was a quicker way to obtain this information. But clicking and/or double clicking in the status area did nothing. I was forced to wade through all of the search results to determine that the word occurs in the masculine singular, feminine singular, and masculine plural. Thankfully, there weren't more that 73 hits in this particular search. Some searches yield many more results. Is there a way to quickly ascertain all of the different forms in which a lemma may occur in any given search? Am I incorrect to somehow remember that you could, at one time, click on the Search Summary in BW and a more detailed report would generate? Grateful for any responses.

Adelphos
08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Open the WLM, choose "Load or Generate Word List", then, making sure WTT is your search version IN the WLM, choose "Load highlighted words from last query" and you'll have exactly what you want.

ISalzman
08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Open the WLM, choose "Load or Generate Word List", then, making sure WTT is your search version IN the WLM, choose "Load highlighted words from last query" and you'll have exactly what you want.

Thanks Scott. Mind you, it gives a little more information than I would want. WLM breaks down the results into more than three different forms. WLM actually counts, as different forms, occurrences of the lemma with different inseparable prepositions, the definite article, etc. I'm really looking for just the different forms of the search term. In the case of the above search, masculine singular, masculine plural, feminine singular. But your suggestion is better than having to wade through 71 verses.

But, for the record, do I not rightly recall that, at one time, you could double click the search stats in the Status Bar area and it would generate a more detailed report of the search?

Adelphos
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
No, you could never double-click on the stat line, at least not to get the sorted forms, and the WLM is far, far, far more powerful than you realize. All you have to do is select the forms you don't want, in this case the prefixes, i.e., lamed, hey, bet, etc., and then delete them. Now you have only the generic forms.

I'd much rather have ALL the information than just a subset. It might take five seconds to select those forms and delete them.

Adelphos
08-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I might also add, with regard to the WLM, if you wanted to compare numerous columns, then -- and pardon my shameless self promotion here -- you could use my BOSS program, which will allow you to view up to 4 WLM columns at time.

Glenn Weaver
08-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Irving,

There is an easier way than using the Word List Manager, though there are times when that is the tool to use. It is very powerful. Select the Words Tab in the Analysis Window. At the bottom right-hand corner is a list of the search results words. By default (I think) the morph codes are hidden, so only one word appears for your search. But if you place your cursor in that window then right-click, select "Context/Word Tab Options". Now uncheck the box that says "Hide Morphology Codes". Now the three forms (as shown in morph codes) appear. There is a context menu option to send this info from the Words Tab to the Word List Manager if you want to work more with the data.

The popup info that appeared in previous BibleWorks versions when you double-clicked on the status bar now appears in the Stats Tab. But the info that you are looking for used to appear in the Search Window, but now appears now in the Words Tab.

Blessings,

ISalzman
08-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much, Glenn. You are 100% correct. I verified your suggestion. Will use this method from now on.

One thing that was troubling to me here was that I found an instance of an incorrectly tagged word in the Westminster Morphology Database. I know that this is not a BW error. BW is dependent on the folks who produce the WTM. But in Exodus 6:15, they have the Hebrew word Canaanite tagged as: "ynI[]n:K. noun proper no gender no number no state."

Of course, that is wrong. Canaanite is feminine there (as BDB and all the English versions will readily attest).

MGVH
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
In addition to the solutions given above, there is another nice option available for the Greek. With the cursor in the Analysis tab, right click > "Lemma/Form Usage Statistics" > Checkmark the "Include Lemma Usage Summary (Greek Only)" > repeat right click > Include Complete Lemma Info (Greek Only)" (see graphic below)
Now, when you are looking at a Greek, go to the bottom of the Analysis tab, and you will get the full summary of that lemma's usage with analysis and number of instances provided.

ISalzman
08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Mark.

I notice there is a Hebrew option as well. What info will that provide?

ISalzman
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Never mind. Just tried it. The info is form specific.