PDA

View Full Version : LXX English Versions not displaying

ISalzman
08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Just curious. I'm looking at Psalms of Solomon 17:30 in BGT in the Browse Window. I have the Browse Window set to Multiversion mode. I have several English versions that include the Apocryphal books set up as display versions in the Browse Window. Yet I get no English for this reference: Psalms of Solomon 17:30. Anyone else have the same experience? Grateful for any feedback.

ISalzman
08-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Just a follow-up to my previous post. LXE, Brenton's English Translation of the LXX with Apocrypha, does display the English for Psalms of Solomon 17:30. But, curiously, the RSV and KJV with Apocrypha do not. Any reason for this? Are the latter incomplete works?

Mark Eddy
08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
"Any reason for this?"
Yes
"Are the latter works incomplete?"
That depends on what you mean by "incomplete." Not all the non-canonical books in the LXX are in the apocrypha. Some, such as the Psalms of Solomon, are pseudepigraphal. It has long been known that Solomon did not write the Psalms of Solomon. So the Catholic Church has never accepted them into their Bible. So, they are not in most translations of the "apocrypha." Since the Psalms of Solomon are in some manuscripts of the LXX, Brenton decided to translate them. In BibleWorks you can also find them translated in the OTP pseudepigrapha database.
If you want to see which versions translate which books of the LXX, go to BibleWorks Help chapter 55 in the second chart, which shows which versions contain translations of the individual LXX books.

By the way, if you switch your search version to OPG and add OPE and OTP as display versions (the latter may be a user database, available on the BW Blog), you should also see that OPE and OTP translate PSS 17:30.

Mark Eddy

ISalzman
08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
"Any reason for this?"
Yes
"Are the latter works incomplete?"
That depends on what you mean by "incomplete." Not all the non-canonical books in the LXX are in the apocrypha. Some, such as the Psalms of Solomon, are pseudepigraphal. It has long been known that Solomon did not write the Psalms of Solomon. So the Catholic Church has never accepted them into their Bible. So, they are not in most translations of the "apocrypha." Since the Psalms of Solomon are in some manuscripts of the LXX, Brenton decided to translate them. In BibleWorks you can also find them translated in the OTP pseudepigrapha database.
If you want to see which versions translate which books of the LXX, go to BibleWorks Help chapter 55 in the second chart, which shows which versions contain translations of the individual LXX books.

By the way, if switch your search version to OPG and add OPE and OTP as display versions (the latter may be a user database, available on the BW Blog), you should also see that OPE and OTP translate PSS 17:30.

Mark Eddy

Thanks Mark. What's the difference between OPE and OTP? They both seem to be English translations of the OT Pseudepigrapha. Also, do you know how many and which books commonly referred to as the OT Pseudepigrapha are NOT found in the BGT database? BGT does have Psalms of Solomon, but it does not have the Sybelline Oracles, for example. Thanks in advance for your helpful response.

Mark Eddy
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
"What's the difference between OPE and OTP? They both seem to be English translations of the OT Pseudepigrapha."
If you put your cursor over the version abbreviation in the browse window, you will see the pertinent information about the translator, publication, books included in the translation, and other information which will answer your question. Basically OPE and OTP were done by different translators. Though apparently OPE borrowed considerable from OTP.

"Also, do you know how many and which books commonly referred to as the OT Pseudepigrapha are NOT found in the BGT database?"
Most of the pseudepigrapha are NOT in BGT, because they are not in Rahlfs LXX. And they are not in Rahlfs because they are not in codex Vaticanus or codex Sinaiticus. The Psalms of Solomon are the only pseudepigraphal (non-apocrypha) book in BGT.

You can find this information for yourself, if you put your cursor over the version abbreviation for any version in the browse window, then hit the "shift" key. Then you can move the cursor to the analysis window and scroll down to see a complete list of books included in a given version.
You can find that same list by clicking on the book name drop-down list arrow in the bar above the browse window. That will display a drop-down list of all the books in the current search version. Change search versions, and click on the arrow again to see all the books in that new search version.

Mark Eddy

ISalzman
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks a lot, Mark. It may be expedient to create different 'Search and Display Favorites' sets. For example, I already have my normal 'Search and Display Favorites' set up for most of my study needs. But it may behoove me to set up a couple of other sets. For example, one set for studying/reading Pseudepigraphal and Apocryphal material, which would include the text databases, morphological databases, and any English translation databases. Another set could be created for the Apostolic Fathers. Another for Philo and Josephus, etc. Are there any downloadable pre-created sets of this nature that you know of, either on the BibleWork Forums or on the BW Blog?

Mark Eddy
08-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I have indeed set up all the favorites which you name. (Probably many others have done so too, since there was a thread about this a few years ago.)
The favorites are saved on two lines in the BW800.ini file, or on any specialized configuration settings files you may have set up. So it would not be much help to post a list of favorites on the blog, since they are not a separate file, and not everyone even has the same versions activated.
But, for what it is worth. here are some of the favorites which I have made in order to view together the files for Apocrypha, Pseudepigrapha, Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, and Philo. They included most, if not all, of the user databases made available on the BibleWorks blog, so you may not have all these versions. The first listed version for each "Favorites" is the search version, so it should be duplicated in the list of display versions which follow it. I left out the morphology versions, since they take up too much space on my screen. But you could add them, if you wish. You may also wish to drop any language versions which you do not use.

FavoritesNames=Apocrypha
Favorites=BGT LXT WTT VUL NOV VC1 VUC RSV NRS KJA LXA DRA NAB NJB LUT EIN HRD LXE IEP BGT FBJ TOB BFC CRO RSO SSV BCI CAB PER MBE W78 W95 BTP WYC

FavoritesNames=Pseudepigrapha
Favorites=OTP LXT QST ENL HON JAM LPS PIR PAH OPE OPG OTP AIG POT LXE

FavoritesNames=Philo
Favorites=PHI PHE PHI

FavoritesNames=Fathers
Favorites=APF APE APF APL AFE

FavoritesNames=Josephus
Favorites=JOS JOE JOL JOS

Here is another which you may wish to consider:

FavoritesNames=Aramaic
Favorites=BYZ WTT BGT TAR CGT FTT NFT NMT OSC OSS PEH PES PHA PJT ETH LEW MGI MRD OKE

I have set my tabs to most of these Favorites, that that I can switch between them even more quickly than you can change Favorites within the same tab. Since in BW8 the tabs can be named, it is easy to see at a glance which has Apc or Psd or PHI or APF, etc.

Mark Eddy

ISalzman
08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow, thanks for all the helpful info, Mark! You sure are organized. I liked your idea about the tabs. I would assume therefore that when one opens a saved 'Search and Display Favorites' file, it is opened only on the current tab and not program wide?

Mark Eddy
08-22-2010, 11:33 PM
I would assume therefore that when one opens a saved 'Search and Display Favorites' file, it is opened only on the current tab and not program wide?
You assume correctly, except that when you open a brand new tab for the first time, the previous tab's settings will apply until you change them.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks again, Mark.

Dale A. Brueggemann
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I liked your idea about the tabs. I can't believe I had never thought of using the tabs that way. When I Mark's tab set-up, I promptly moved over the BW and implemented the idea. Tip of the week for me.

ISalzman
08-23-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree, it was a great idea. I'm sort of conflicted right now. I would have done what you did, Dale, but I can't afford all the tabs.

I've currently got all 12 tabs working with stuff I need. I don't want to clear them for the sake of the different 'Search and Display Favorites' sets. While I realize that I can open up more than the default 12 tabs - and that I have done on occasion - I don't like to overly clutter up my Analysis Window.

I find that even working on one sermon or study can demand multiple tabs. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I was working on the Triumphal Entry in Matthew (21:1-11). I must have had 6 or 7 different tabs just to pursue my study of that passage alone. I had one tab devoted to the pericope itself; one tab to Matthew's quotation from Zech 9:9 in its Zechariah context; one tab set to Matthew's quote from Isaiah 62:11 in its Isaiah context; one tab where I searched on the term 'Nazareth;' one tab with the search term 'o erkomenos;' etc. Thus, to have devoted tabs, in addition, for things like the Apocryphal books, the Pseudepigraphal books, Aramaic, the Apostolic Fathers, etc. would end up being too many tabs, and thus, too much clutter. It is a great idea. But one that's pretty much impractical for me. I thought long and hard about doing it though.

ISalzman
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
FavoritesNames=Apocrypha
Favorites=BGT LXT WTT VUL NOV VC1 VUC RSV NRS KJA LXA DRA NAB NJB LUT EIN HRD LXE IEP BGT FBJ TOB BFC CRO RSO SSV BCI CAB PER MBE W78 W95 BTP WYC

Mark Eddy

Hey Mark, you may want to edit the above. Having WTT as one of your Apocrypha Display versions serves no purpose at all. WTT contains none of the Apocryphal books.

Glenn Weaver
08-24-2010, 08:48 AM
You can also save your Context Tabs and load tab sets. In this way you can have multiple sets of tabs ready to load for specialized study purposes. To save and load tabs, place your cursor on the tabs and right-click to open the context menu. From there you can either save or load tabs.

Classroom Tip 1.5 Using Tabs Effectively describes these things in more detail. You can read it here (http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/1_5_tabs/index.html).

Mark Eddy
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey Mark, you may want to edit the above. Having WTT as one of your Apocrypha Display versions serves no purpose at all. WTT contains none of the Apocryphal books.
I have WTT there, not because any of the apocrypha are in it, but because books such as Daniel and Esther in Greek have parts in the apocrypha. If I am looking through those books, I like to have a reminder of which parts are original (Hebrew) and which parts are additions. When WTT shows us, then I know I'm back in the canonical section.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I have WTT there, not because any of the apocrypha are in it, but because books such as Daniel and Esther in Greek have parts in the apocrypha. If I am looking through those books, I like to have a reminder of which parts are original (Hebrew) and which parts are additions. When WTT shows us, then I know I'm back in the canonical section.
Mark Eddy

Gotcha. Thanks.

ISalzman
08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
You can also save your Context Tabs and load tab sets. In this way you can have multiple sets of tabs ready to load for specialized study purposes. To save and load tabs, place your cursor on the tabs and right-click to open the context menu. From there you can either save or load tabs.

Classroom Tip 1.5 Using Tabs Effectively describes these things in more detail. You can read it here (http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/1_5_tabs/index.html).

Thanks Glenn. I read the Classroom Tip.