PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Word Processor

Adelphos
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Anybody using an Arabic word processor? If so, what are you using and do you like it? Feel free to elaborate and give your opinions on a good Arabic WP.

Adelphos
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, not surprisingly, I guess, it doesn't appear that there are too many Arabic writers here. FWIW, I have the Lite version of this --

http://www.summitsoft.co.uk/

But before I make a purchase for a main/substantial Arabic WP, I was wondering if anyone else had a competitor or two they might want to recommend?

I love the Lite version of the Arabic Editor, as far as it goes, but an upgrade to a full version is necessary in order to write whole Arabic. This program has a lot of similarities to Davka Writer for Hebrew, which makes me wonder if the Arabic Editor wasn't modeled somewhat on Davka. Anyway, if you know of something better, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Adelphos
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought the Arabic Editor Pro, and I got it for $29.00 US download, as there is a special deal that if you get the download version within 24 hours of signing up for the promotional code you can get it at that price.

I love this little WP, even though there are a lot of things it doesn't do, such as tables, and other normal WP features. However, it does do Arabic, English-Arabic, and Arabic-English exceptionally well, with a number of nice fonts and symbols, and so forth. In short, you get a ton of good stuff for the price.

If you're at all interested, you can go here for the limited time offer --

http://www.summitsoft.co.uk/pages/Extend_AE_Demo.html

And I can already testify that the their feedback answers very quickly.

Here is an EXTREMELY SIMPLE example of the ease of mixing English and Arabic, and all can be done very simply with shortcut keystrokes, similar to Davka Hebrew --

Jesus is رَب and he is risen.

Except that it doesn't display here anywhere near as good as it does in the program itself, as you can see that here the vowel is misplaced, whereas in the program it is perfect, and much nicer looking, and also I can't get the vowel to display over the baa in this forum either.

ISalzman
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I am impressed, Scott. How did you learn to read Arabic?

Adelphos
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Bought a book. How else? :cool:

ISalzman
08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Neat. Can you read the bible in Arabic? I assume there is one in BibleWorks?

Adelphos
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Neat. Can you read the bible in Arabic? I assume there is one in BibleWorks?

I would have to work at it, just as I have to work at it to read the Koran in Arabic. I have so far only toyed with Arabic, only giving it maybe a couple of hours a week. I can read it (if the font is clear and I can make it out) and speak it slightly.

But if I get serious and decide to learn how to speak it fluently or even conversationally, then I will spend a minimum of 6-12 hours per day on it, 7 days a week. That's what it takes for a determined person to become conversational/fluent in a lanuage in about a 6 month period of time, give or take a couple of months.

ISalzman
08-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow, that's some serious commitment. Well, good for you, if you do it!

Adelphos
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
By the way, for Irving and Brian especially, if you didn't know, Davka 6 has some updates. I hadn't visited the forum in awhile, but if you have 6.05 or later you can update to 6.6.3, or something like that. You can read about it on their forum here --

http://www.davkawriter.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=general

ISalzman
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey thanks Scott. 6.6.3 is actually quite old by now. I've had it for over a year. You ought to set up Davka to automatically check for updates. I think the default setting is to check every 30 days (which is where I have it set). But it's been a long time since the last update (6.6.3).

Adelphos
08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey thanks Scott. 6.6.3 is actually quite old by now. I've had it for over a year. You ought to set up Davka to automatically check for updates. I think the default setting is to check every 30 days (which is where I have it set). But it's been a long time since the last update (6.6.3).

Yeah, the problem was, I didn't even KNOW they had auto updates because the 6.0.5 doesn't have that capability. Only when I went over the forum did I learn that there were updates.

ISalzman
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh, I guess it's been so long that I've had the updated version now that I've forgotten what Davka was like in the days before Auto Updates. I guess VHS won out over Sony Betamax too, didn't it? :)