PDA

View Full Version : CNTTS Database

Eric
08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi according to this article (http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=33503), the CNTTS database is coming to Bibleworks soon. I was wondering if anyone else knows about this?

Mark Eddy
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
One of the programmers posted the following to this forum in December 2009:

"CNTTS == Center for New Testament Textual Studies. The database is a NT critical apparatus done by a group at the New Orleans Baptist Seminary. According the CNTTS the text will be available to us for licensing in January. They are making some tweaks based on things found out by using the Accordance version. When they finish the tweaks we'll add it. It shouldn't take us long to get it in. Not sure what the price will be but it won't be terribly expensive.

We are continuing our long term project of providing full, tagged and searchable transcriptions of major manuscripts. A release of the initial manuscripts is planned for late 2010, perhaps at SBL, Lord willing."

Obviously the timeline above was not met. I found this by searching the forum for CNTTS. You may wish to do the same, and you might find some more information about it.
Mark Eddy

wie
08-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Great! Finally!
I am looking forward to using it in Bibleworks!

PS: I have a 2500 pages textual commentary on the Gospels online, check my sig for the link.
Last year I started a sub-division on difficult paleographical problems, which now has already over 70 entries.
Please check it out and give me feedback!

MBushell
08-14-2010, 11:16 AM
As soon as CNTTS releases the final product (soon we hope) we will have it available for BibleWorks users as a module. We are also planning a release of the first 7 of our own manuscript transcriptions (full searchable transcriptions with images and a robust set of transcription, collation and tagging tools) soon, probably about the same time as the CNTTS material. You text critical geeks are about to get an overdose. These two items complement each other very well. Amazing how the Lord coreographs these things.
Mike

bkMitchell
08-15-2010, 03:35 AM
As soon as CNTTS releases the final product (soon we hope) we will have it available for BibleWorks users as a module. We are also planning a release of the first 7 of our own manuscript transcriptions (full searchable transcriptions with images and a robust set of transcription, collation and tagging tools) soon, probably about the same time as the CNTTS material. You text critical geeks are about to get an overdose. These two items complement each other very well. Amazing how the Lord coreographs these things.
Mike

Now, that is a truly exciting development!
Thanks for sharing the good news with us

Adelphos
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
According to the head honcho it will come out for BW at SBL --

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/textualcriticism/message/5941

Dan Witte
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Mike

Mike,

Would these two resources be usable by someone still working in BibleWorks 7?

Either way-- any ball-park cost estimates?

Thanks very much.

Dan Witte

kennete
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Is there a status for this resource? I am really looking forward to having it in BibleWorks.
Thanks!

bkMitchell
04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
"But nowhere have so many changes from hundreds of manuscripts, down to the letter, been collated in a single place and made searchable for scholars and serious students, verse by verse, through two commercial Bible software products, Accordance Bible Software and Bibleworks, Warren said."
LINK (http://www.nola.com/religion/index.ssf/2011/03/changes_to_the_bible_through_the_ages_are_being_st udied_by_new_orleans_scholars.html)

bobvenem
04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
The question is whether CNTTS will release the entire database for BW, or if they will limit it to their edition for "serious amateurs." I really don't want an "educated abridgement."

SCSaunders
04-04-2011, 01:55 PM
The question is whether CNTTS will release the entire database for BW, or if they will limit it to their edition for "serious amateurs." I really don't want an "educated abridgement."I like the way you worded this.

Based on the teeny experience I had at DTS, textual criticism is a major demarcation, separating the men from the boys. This is one of those sciences I couldn't wrap my head around. Beyond martian to me. Paleo-martian.

I will forever have to entrust this valuable service to those who sit at the grown-ups table. God bless all of you who provide it.

admin
04-04-2011, 04:52 PM
The question is whether CNTTS will release the entire database for BW, or if they will limit it to their edition for "serious amateurs." I really don't want an "educated abridgement."

At this point, all I can say is that I think users will be very pleased with what we release. Sorry to be terse, but you know our policy...

bobvenem
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Perfectly reasonable. Look forward to seeing the product.

someone else
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Any update on when this might be released?

Sansom48
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I hate to keep bumping something, but I am very curious about this, has there been an updated timeline, or are we still in the dark?

Michael Hanel
05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I hate to keep bumping something, but I am very curious about this, has there been an updated timeline, or are we still in the dark?

Chris, I think it will come like a thief in the night. Based on the snippets of what BibleWorks has said publicly, it is something that is still in the works and they do have some of it done (I think they said they were showing it off at SBL for those who were there), but they didn't want to release it before it was done (I'm not sure if that meant completely done or a larger portion of it), so they were still working on it. That at least is the BibleWorks side of the things. I believe I've also read that the CNTTS has also faced delays on their end and since BibleWorks is incorporating CNTTS' data, they are dependent on them to get it done.

And as far as release dates go, BibleWorks has almost always made it a policy not to give promises that they know they can't make for sure, so I've not seen them give a hard deadline for this probably because it's not something they know for sure and since they don't know it for sure they will hesitate to say anything. It's annoying from a consumer-I-want-it-now perspective, but it helps you develop a discipline of contentment :p

But...I think it's safe to say they are still hard at work about it by how much they keep mentioning it on their Facebook page...