PDA

View Full Version : Setting up search limits

MGVH
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I just posted some directions showing how to work with search limits in BW8. In particular, the task was to search the Greek of the LXX and NT but not include the books of the Apocrypha. If you have not worked with custom search limits, this will give you an idea of how to do so. HERE is the post (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2010/08/bibleworks8-setting-search-limits.html).

ISalzman
08-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Mark, good post, but it has raised several questions in my mind:

1. Would the following string not work: Gen-Mal; Mat-Rev? The brevity of the preceding would certainly beat the long string that you've included.

2. What about the custom, pre-defined search range limits in BW? Are there none that would account for the OT (minus the Apocrypha) and NT?

3. Does your search limit allow for JudA and other LXX variants?

4. Would there be a way of having this search limit defined as a custom, pre-defined search limit in BW, if the answer to 2. above is "No."

ISalzman
08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Mark, never mind. Your video answered most of my questions. I had only read the text of your blog before. I went back and watched the video.

Is there an advantage to creating the new custom, pre-defined search range limit (OTNT) in BGM? Would it be any more advantageous to creating the limit in BGT?

MGVH
08-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't think it makes a difference if you use the BGM or BGT as a base text. Actually, since we are trying to exclude the Apocrypha, I think you can really use any Bible version that includes OT and NT.

ISalzman
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't think it makes a difference if you use the BGM or BGT as a base text. Actually, since we are trying to exclude the Apocrypha, I think you can really use any Bible version that includes OT and NT.

That's interesting. I assume that would mean that, in creating a custom, pre-defined search limit, if you used, for example, NAU as your base text, then, theoretically, you could create the search limit using the string "Gen-Mal; Mat-Rev. Since NAU would be designated the base text in this example, it would include only those books which fall within the "Gen-Mal; Mat-Rev" in the NAU. Hence, any apocryphal books would be excluded. Am I correct here?

MGVH
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
That's interesting. I assume that would mean that, in creating a custom, pre-defined search limit, if you used, for example, NAU as your base text, then, theoretically, you could create the search limit using the string "Gen-Mal; Mat-Rev. Since NAU would be designated the base text in this example, it would include only those books which fall within the "Gen-Mal; Mat-Rev" in the NAU. Hence, any apocryphal books would be excluded. Am I correct here?
Yes, but...
If you are searching the NAU, it will not return any hits in the Apocrypha since it doesn't include it. BUT, if you are running the NAU and BGT together and right click to search on a Greek word, then it will override the NAU limitations. >>> You need to set up the limits the way I described.

ISalzman
08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Yes, but...
If you are searching the NAU, it will not return any hits in the Apocrypha since it doesn't include it. BUT, if you are running the NAU and BGT together and right click to search on a Greek word, then it will override the NAU limitations. >>> You need to set up the limits the way I described.

Mark, you are correct. I tested your assertion and you were right. Thanks to you, I now have an OTNT predefined search limit that will exclude Apocryphal books in the versions containing the same. Excellent video by the way, and you were very clear in your oratory. I've seen other bible software tutorial videos where the speaker spoke a mile a minute. Your presentation was excellent.

One final comment, if I may. I don't think that having Apocryphal books show up in a search of Greek terms is necessarily a bad thing. For one, some Greek words evolved over time, much as our English words do and have done. In the 1950s and 1960s, I might have said, "I love gay Paris." I wouldn't be caught dead using that expression today. Similarly, a thorough word study will trace the development and usage of a term over time. Greek terms in the NT may (or may not) sometimes be closer to their counterparts in the Apocrypha, than to their occurrences in the OT (or earlier OT books). Seeing the Greek of the inter-testamental period is not necessarily a bad thing.

MGVH
08-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree with your valuation of the Greek Apocrypha works, and that's why I use the BGM/T as my Greek version (in contrast to using the BNM/T which is just NT). I think the student who asked me how to create such a limit was interested in something like, "_____ appears ___ times in the Bible," and being Protestant, that would exclude the Apocrypha.

ISalzman
08-08-2010, 11:28 AM
... I think the student who asked me how to create such a limit was interested in something like, "_____ appears ___ times in the Bible," and being Protestant, that would exclude the Apocrypha.

I gotcha. Well that makes sense then. I guess that would be one example of a justified exclusion of Apocryphal occurrences of Greek terms (i.e., if you just wanted to know how many times a term occurred in the bible). Although, if it were me, I would probably want to search the Greek term over all its occurrences, including the Apocryphal books. And, above and beyond that, I could apply the OTNT limits after that if I wanted to know the number of times the term occurred in the canonical scriptures alone.

But I have actually found really juicy (i.e. packed) usages of Greek terms in the Apocryphal books that were very meaningful to NT exegesis.