PDA

View Full Version : Displaying two non-contiguous verses in the Browse Window

ISalzman
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Is it possible to display two non-contiguous verses in the Browse Window? For example, I'd like to see the two verses - Zech 9:9 and Isa 62:11 - in the Browse Window so that I can compare them. Grateful for any answers, especially those that don't recommend the RVT. I already know all about that. I just want to see the two verses, displaying one above the other, in the Browse Window. Extra thanks if you could also tell me if it's possible to do the above in Multi-Version Mode. Thanks.

jimofbentley
07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I believe that this has been covered before, but the simple answer is (sadly) "no".

The only way to do what you desire (that I have found anyway) is to use the Parallel Versions Window.

ISalzman
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I believe that this has been covered before, but the simple answer is (sadly) "no".

The only way to do what you desire (that I have found anyway) is to use the Parallel Versions Window.

Thanks Jim. We could always recommend the feature. I'd love to see BW have the capability of displaying two non-contiguous verses in the Browse Window. I'm no programmer, but would that be something very difficult to implement?

bkMitchell
07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I just want to see the two verses, displaying one above the other,...Okay, then(in Bibleworks v8)...
(1)Left click on view (on the top tool bar)
(2)in the view drop down menu click on Stack Analysis windows/Browse windows
(3)now, the browse window should be stacked over the Analysis window
(4)in the analysis window click on the Browse tab
(5)There should now be two stacked Browse Windows
(6) You can now set the top Browse window for Zech 9:9 and the bottom Browse window to Isa 62:11-

Or you could simple keep the both Browse Windows side by side rather than stacked, too.

I know you'd probably rather see these two verse displayed in one Browse Window rather than two...

ISalzman
07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Okay, then(in Bibleworks v8)...
(
I know you'd probably rather see these two verse displayed in one Browse Window rather than two...

Thanks Brian, yes, I would. While I appreciate your method, if I can't see the two verses in one Browse Window, I think I would choose Jim of Bentley's method using the Parallel Versions Window. And I will still maintain that it would be nice - and even better - if BW had the capability to display two or more non-contiguous verses in one Browse Window.

bkMitchell
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
And I will still maintain that it would be nice - and even better - if BW had the capability to display two or more non-contiguous verses in one Browse Window.

Of, course you do. I did not think you had suddenly change your mind about the subject.

I am aware you've discussed questions similar to this on the following threads:

Comparing texts (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4427-Comparing-texts&p=22014#post22014) a thread started in 02-19-2010 02:13pm
Comparing Biblical Texts (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4558-Comparing-Biblical-Texts) And a again on a thread started in 06-05-2010 06:57am

One, can only hope that the moderators and staff have taken the time to notice your requests. One thing of note is that you can e-mail and Submit a request directly to: http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html (http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html).

Alternatively, you should probably also gather as many Bibleworks users as possible and have a joint petition sent in. I am sure there are others that feel the same way as you about this And, more that ask the better the chances that your request will be implemented.

jimofbentley
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Okay, then(in Bibleworks v8)...
(1)Left click on view (on the top tool bar)
(2)in the view drop down menu click on Stack Analysis windows/Browse windows
(3)now, the browse window should be stacked over the Analysis window
(4)in the analysis window click on the Browse tab
(5)There should now be two stacked Browse Windows
(6) You can now set the top Browse window for Zech 9:9 and the bottom Browse window to Isa 62:11-

Or you could simple keep the both Browse Windows side by side rather than stacked, too.

Thanks Brian, I had never thought of that. And, while not perfect, it isn't bad.

p.s. Where is that petition?

bkMitchell
07-30-2010, 07:51 PM
And I will still maintain that it would be nice - and even better - if BW had the capability to display two or more non-contiguous verses in one Browse Window.

Hey ISalzman!

It looks like someone's been reading your request.
Unfortunately, my friend it is the staff from another software provider.
In their blog on July 30th, 2010 (just three days) after this thread was started wrote:

"...People want to see two or more noncontiguous verses at the same time so they can more easily compare them, or copy them all at once, or print them out. In XXXX, they can simply do a verse search for those references, yet such a seemingly simple task is surprisingly difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish using other programs."

ISalzman
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Brian, not knowing who this other software vendor is, there is really no way of verifying whether they can do what they say they can so easily. I don't know what kind of results their "verse search" can generate, but do we really know that it would be equivalent to being able to display two non-contiguous verses in the same Browse Window in BW? Anyone can make claims ... In addition, how many things can BW do that this other software platform can't? I bet they didn't write about that in their blog.

Beyond that, I have full faith that BW will eventually implement this feature at some point.

Incidentally, when I post to the BW Forums, my intent is for friendly in-house dialogue. I certainly don't intend for my words to be fodder for other software platforms to include in diatribes against BW. At any rate, I'm glad they didn't mention BW by name. And, apparently, according to what they wrote on their blog, not being able to display non-contiguous verses simultaneously seems not to be unique to BW.

The other thing is that I'm not surprised that other software platforms are spending time monitoring the BW boards. They obviously recognize the quality of BW and that BW is a major force in the world of bible and exegetical software. But thanks for the heads-up, Brian.

Dale A. Brueggemann
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Brian, not knowing who this other software vendor is...

I would suppose it's Accordance, which has been able to do this since before it was even called Accordance. And it's a simple as typing in the references just as you would find them in parenthetical citation (e.g., 1kgs 1:1-2; 2kgs 3:1; Rom 5:12). Couldn't be easier, and it's very useful. Sure wish we had it in BW.

ISalzman
07-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I would suppose it's Accordance, which has been able to do this since before it was even called Accordance. And it's a simple as typing in the references just as you would find them in parenthetical citation (e.g., 1kgs 1:1-2; 2kgs 3:1; Rom 5:12). Couldn't be easier, and it's very useful. Sure wish we had it in BW.

Dale, you are correct. I copied from Brian's post and pasted the words into a Google search and sure enough, the words were from a blog post on accordance.com. And, true to form, the author indeed mentioned that he had read on the forums of another bible software platform that people are looking for the ability to display two or more non-contiguous verses simultaneously. Cheeky, cheeky. I guess this qualifies as industrial espionage.

There's no doubting it would be nice if BW had this capability of displaying two or more non-contiguous verses in the same Browse Window. If it weren't, I wouldn't have written that initially. It would absolutely be a helpful feature to have. Very, very useful. But it's kind of cruel to monitor the BW forums looking for what people there are asking for and use that as fuel and fodder to bolster your own product and stature in the industry. I never intended for my words to be used against BW. (Though, as I mentioned earlier, the Accordance article didn't specifically mention BW by name.) At any rate, BW has always only ever been responsive to the wishes and needs of their customers. And I am fully believing that they will eventually oblige us in this regard.

bkMitchell
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Anyone can make claims ... In addition, how many things can BW do that this other software platform can't? I bet they didn't write about that in their blog.
Beyond that, I have full faith that BW will eventually implement this feature at some point.
Incidentally, when I post to the BW Forums, my intent is for friendly in-house dialogue

Excellent reply!

And, this other company is (to my knowledge) on fairly friendly terms with the BW which is probably one reason they never mention BW by name on their site, blog, and forums. Well, individual users might mention BW by name on their forums, but their staff never will(at least not publicly). This is one of the reasons I have a level of respect for them.

I would suppose it's ....
And, You would be correct to do so.

ISalzman
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Excellent reply!

And, this other company is (to my knowledge) on fairly friendly terms with the BW which is probably one reason they never mention BW by name on their site, blog, and forums. Well, individual users might mention BW by name on their forums, but their staff never will(at least not publicly). This is one of the reasons I have a level of respect for them.

Yes, me too (I respect them as well). They make a good product, to be sure. One of my good friends has a PhD in OT and is a seminary prof. He and I talk quite a bit about OT exegesis. He is a Mac user, I a Windows guy. But one day we compared our respective software platforms. I was certainly impressed with his, but he, equally, with mine. And that's the way it should be. Different software platforms have different strengths and have their own niches.

bkMitchell
07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
... that's the way it should be. Different software platforms have different strengths and have their own niches.

I agree with you! I really like the way 'XXXX' software looks and that they have more Jewish/Hebrew resources, too.

BUT, just as you are, I am also an IBM/Windows user.
AND BibleWorks 8 offers me tools that are useful for some of my other interest and current needs. Bibleworks is the only one of the big three to offer Japanese language Bibles which is the main reason I upgraded to version 8. It is so handy to have those not only in digital format but also in Bibleworks.

Bibleworks Aramaic targums(free), and Peshitta Database come at a great price, and Franz Delitzsch Hebrew NT (1876 not 1877) now comes as part of the base-package. Despite my dislike for the overuse and abuse of translation Delitzsch Ha-Brit Ha-Chudasha has sentimental value to me, and I often use it in much the same way one might use commentary. Oh, and the ability to search on accents in not one but two Hebrew OT/Tanach databases is something that sold me on Bibleworks early on.

OPPS, looks like this thread has gone off topic!

ISalzman
07-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree with you! I really like the way 'XXXX' software looks and that they have more Jewish/Hebrew resources, too.

BUT, just as you are, I am also an IBM/Windows user.
AND BibleWorks 8 offers me tools that are useful for some of my other interest and current needs. Bibleworks is the only one of the big three to offer Japanese language Bibles which is the main reason I upgraded to version 8. It is so handy to have those not only in digital format but also in Bibleworks.

Bibleworks Aramaic targums(free), and Peshitta Database come at a great price, and Franz Delitzsch Hebrew NT (1876 not 1877) now comes as part of the base-package. Despite my dislike for the overuse and abuse of translation Delitzsch Ha-Brit Ha-Chudasha has sentimental value to me, and I often use it in much the same way one might use commentary. Oh, and the ability to search on accents in not one but two Hebrew OT/Tanach databases is something that sold me on Bibleworks early on.

OPPS, looks like this thread has gone off topic!

I'm with you; love those Jewish/Hebrew resources!

By the way, the thing I like about the Delitzsch Hebrew NT is that it helps to see NT allusions to the OT much more clearly. I think it's a real useful though unsung, under-appreciated tool in that regard. I don't think most people understand the value of it in that way.