PDA

View Full Version : Jesus' words in red

djfiocco
07-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Can anyone help me to setup my Bibleworks 8 to view Jesus' words in red?

Dan Phillips
07-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry. My idea of "help" would be to try my best to persuade you that putting Jesus' words in red is a really, really bad idea always and everywhere.

ISalzman
07-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Can anyone help me to setup my Bibleworks 8 to view Jesus' words in red?

That is an excellent question. I have thoroughly searched the Help files as well as the Options dialog and cannot find a thing about viewing the words of Jesus in red. All of which leads me to conclude that it is not possible to indeed view the same in red. Nevertheless, I will defer to those whose knowledge of the program exceeds my own (Hint, hint ... Scott and/or Mark Eddy and others).

Michael Hanel
07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
That is an excellent question. I have thoroughly searched the Help files as well as the Options dialog and cannot find a thing about viewing the words of Jesus in red. All of which leads me to conclude that it is not possible to indeed view the same in red. Nevertheless, I will defer to those whose knowledge of the program exceeds my own (Hint, hint ... Scott and/or Mark Eddy and others).

Adelphos made a KJV version of this and it is available on the blog. Beyond that there isn't a way to do this automatically. This file is available because he did it manually.

The download is available here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=141). The .clr file should be put in your \databases\ subfolder of BibleWorks. You load it under Tools | Viewing the Text.

ISalzman
07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Adelphos made a KJV version of this and it is available on the blog. Beyond that there isn't a way to do this automatically. This file is available because he did it manually.

The download is available here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=141). The .clr file should be put in your \databases\ subfolder of BibleWorks. You load it under Tools | Viewing the Text.

Michael, thanks. Forgive my ignorance as to how .clr files work, but if it is loaded "under Tools | Viewing the Text," and not as a regular database version, can these red words of Jesus be viewed with other versions (for example, NAU, ESV, Etc.)?

Adelphos
07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Michael, thanks. Forgive my ignorance as to how .clr files work, but if it is loaded "under Tools | Viewing the Text," and not as a regular database version, can these red words of Jesus be viewed with other versions (for example, NAU, ESV, Etc.)?

They can't. They can only be viewed with the REAL Bible. :cool:

Michael Hanel
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM

As Adelphos said, nope. Essentially what he did was go thru the NT and highlight all of Jesus' words to show in red text and then saved that color scheme. If you wanted it in NAU, ESV, etc. you (generic "you") would have to do that exact same thing. It really wouldn't be a terrible chore, but it's always easier to wait for someone else to have time. And as Dan said, not everyone finds it beneficial, cutting down on the number of volunteers for such a project.

Adelphos
07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I used to buy only black letter Bibles. Wouldn't touch a red letter edition. I also went through each Bible and color coded it myself. I have a number of Bibles with this done.

However, I discovered that I got used to my own color codes and often inadvertantly ignored the rest of the text.

I have since changed to red letter editions, and I don't mark in it at all. I know the red letters are subjective, but for the most part they are accurate, and I am skilled enough to know where they might not be.

I personally don't think the red letters are a big problem. They are no different whatsoever from the quotations that the NASB, ESV, NIV, et al, employs.

IOW, the only difference between them is the convention employed to distinguish when Jesus is speaking and when he is not.

The NASB, ESV, NIV, et al, uses quotation marks to delineate when Jesus is speaking. The red letter editions use red letters as another method of demarcation. They are BOTH as subjective as one another.

Which means that ultimately a diligent study of each passage is incumbent upon the reader to determine from within the text who is doing what where.

ISalzman
07-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I used to buy only black letter Bibles. Wouldn't touch a red letter edition. I also went through each Bible and color coded it myself. I have a number of Bibles with this done.

However, I discovered that I got used to my own color codes and often inadvertantly ignored the rest of the text.

I have since changed to red letter editions, and I don't mark in it at all. I know the red letters are subjective, but for the most part they are accurate, and I am skilled enough to know where they might not be.

I personally don't think the red letters are a big problem. They are no different whatsoever from the quotations that the NASB, ESV, NIV, et al, employs.

IOW, the only difference between them is the convention employed to distinguish when Jesus is speaking and when he is not.

The NASB, ESV, NIV, et al, uses quotation marks to delineate when Jesus is speaking. The red letter editions use red letters as another method of demarcation. They are BOTH as subjective as one another.

Which means that ultimately a diligent study of each passage is incumbent upon the reader to determine from within the text who is doing what where.

Scott, I am in agreement with you. I don't have a problem with red letter bibles. As you say, they can be subjective. But so can quotation marks. The real problem is when people begin ascribing a greater sense or level of inspiration to the red letters than those in the black. Of course, that is sheer folly when you believe in verbal, plenary inspiration.

PS - There are spelling errors in your Hebrew signature (at least, in my browser).

Adelphos
07-04-2010, 08:06 PM
PS - There are spelling errors in your Hebrew signature (at least, in my browser).

Like what?

EDIT: Never mind. I saw that I had an ayin instead of a yod in the first name of Jesus. That happened the other day when I was going to change my signature, but the Hebrew I was going to replace it with kept getting screwed up, so I just quickily typed in the old sig (the one you see now), and I obviously mispelled it.

I really do hate the way Hebrew and Greek is handled by this new forum design.

EDIT 2: Oops. I also saw that I had transposed the yod and shin in Messiah. Well now, just to be sure, I have redone the whole thing. If you still see spelling errors, a saboteur has done it!

ISalzman
07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Much better now, Scott. I agree; this new forum design does not handle the languages nearly as well as the earlier forum design.

calvary
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I love the red letter editions of the Bible. And I thank you Scott for making it possible to have my KJV red-lettered in BW. :)

Dave