PDA

View Full Version : Nubie Help!

qwerty
06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I just loaded BW and watched the tutorials. Now I want to know is Matthew Henry the only commentary used by BW? I prefer to hear many voices when doing exegetical work. Thanks!

Michael Hanel
06-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I just loaded BW and watched the tutorials. Now I want to know is Matthew Henry the only commentary used by BW? I prefer to hear many voices when doing exegetical work. Thanks!

BibleWorks is designed primarily so that YOU can get in depth with the text, so at least in the near future, don't look for BibleWorks to be a "commentary" program. Rather what you will find are the texts themselves and grammatical resources to help you exegete the text.

That having been said, there are a few additional resources you might want to add on if you're particularly after commentaries. You can find them on the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=151) (note (1) this is not run by BibleWorks, but by users and (2) be sure to read the instructions on that page in order to get these to work properly).

qwerty
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you very much. I guess I'll go back to using Libronix.

Mark Eddy
06-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Before you "go back," you may wish to use both programs. BibleWorks is really good for studying the original Greek and Hebrew of the Bible, without viewing them through the colored glasses of commentators. I used to run to commentaries fairly early in my exegetical work. Now I rarely use them, because I can do for myself what commentaries do, e.g. tell me what a specific Greek or Hebrew word means (just look it up in the lexicons, which display right next to the text in the BibleWorks Analysis window), explain an unusual grammatical construction (just look it up in one of the Grammars, located in the Resource Summary window of BW), or give a cross reference (BW has gazillions of them on the X-Refs tab). Do you need some historical background? Try looking in the Bible Dictionaries in BW. Unsure of how to translate something? Look over the scores of translations in BW.

If you have the commentaries in Libronix, you can link to them from within BibleWorks. Check out BibleWorks Help chapter 11 under the heading "The External Links Manager (ELM)" and chapter 38 on the External Resources Manager (Ermie). If you have lots of commentaries in Libronix which you want to check, it may take a while to set up the links, but especially if they are organized by biblical references, you can access them from within BibleWorks fairly easily. I set up some links a few years ago to Luther's Works in Libronix. I find that I hardly ever check them, so I have not added any more. But I know that there are other threads in this forum which you help you set up links to Libronix, if you wish to pursue it.
But I encourage you not to give up on BibleWorks just because it does not make you buy a bunch of commentaries. Without commentaries as crutches, you will become more proficient at reading God's Word directly.
God bless!
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Before you "go back," you may wish to use both programs. BibleWorks is really good for studying the original Greek and Hebrew of the Bible, without viewing them through the colored glasses of commentators. I used to run to commentaries fairly early in my exegetical work. Now I rarely use them, because I can do for myself what commentaries do, e.g. tell me what a specific Greek or Hebrew word means (just look it up in the lexicons, which display right next to the text in the BibleWorks Analysis window), explain an unusual grammatical construction (just look it up in one of the Grammars, located in the Resource Summary window of BW), or give a cross reference (BW has gazillions of them on the X-Refs tab). Do you need some historical background? Try looking in the Bible Dictionaries in BW. Unsure of how to translate something? Look over the scores of translations in BW.

If you have the commentaries in Libronix, you can link to them from within BibleWorks. Check out BibleWorks Help chapter 11 under the heading "The External Links Manager (ELM)" and chapter 38 on the External Resources Manager (Ermie). If you have lots of commentaries in Libronix which you want to check, it may take a while to set up the links, but especially if they are organized by biblical references, you can access them from within BibleWorks fairly easily. I set up some links a few years ago to Luther's Works in Libronix. I find that I hardly ever check them, so I have not added any more. But I know that there are other threads in this forum which you help you set up links to Libronix, if you wish to pursue it.
But I encourage you not to give up on BibleWorks just because it does not make you buy a bunch of commentaries. Without commentaries as crutches, you will become more proficient at reading God's Word directly.
God bless!
Mark Eddy

Excellent post, Mark!

I think the two programs can work in concert with each other. I always like to do my textual work in BW first. Then I like to access some of the better commentaries in Logos/Libronix. No sense not availing myself of some of the scholarship and gifted exegetes and teachers with which God has gifted the body of Messiah. This is not to say that we, ourselves, couldn't come up with a lot of the same observations by utilizing the textual, lexical, and grammatical tools supplied in BW. But I still like to check myself. And it is always thrilling to find when commentators confirm your own observations. I love it when an exegete makes an observation of something that you've already seen in your study. At any rate, I find usefulness for both software platforms. But if I could only have one - say I were going to end up shipwrecked on a deserted island - BibleWorks would be the one.