PDA

View Full Version : How can I search all hebrew perfect verbs with an objective pronominal-suffix?

Stephanus
06-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi,

ive got a question. How can I search all hebrew perfect verbs with an objective pronominal-suffix?

Ive tried typing in the command line with WTM as search version: .*v?p???+S* But there are many false hits.

thank you,

Stephanus

Mark Eddy
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Try this: .*@?p???+S[123]*
The @ sign will limit the search to Hebrew (not Aramaic). If you also want the Aramaic in your search, just drop the @.
I added [123] to your search, because your search, with just the asterisk, will look up all possible suffixes, including no suffix at all. That is why you get "false hits." To make sure that there is a suffix, [123] allows you to search for suffixes of all three persons at the same time.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
The @ sign will limit the search to Hebrew (not Aramaic). If you also want the Aramaic in your search, just drop the @.
I added [123] to your search, because your search, with just the asterisk, will look up all possible suffixes, including no suffix at all. That is why you get "false hits." To make sure that there is a suffix, [123] allows you to search for suffixes of all three persons at the same time.
Mark Eddy

Hey Mark, chalk this up to my ignorance perhaps, but it strikes me that you're missing the code for verbs in your search syntax, no?

Stephanus
06-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Mark Eddy

Thank you very much. It works. When I add a "v" befor the first question mark I get the 1185 hits I want.

Many thanks!

Stephanus

Mark Eddy
06-21-2010, 08:48 AM
You are right, somehow when I typed the code into this forum I missed the "v" in the search which I actually used in BW on the command line. Sorry. It should be:
.*@v?p???+S[123]*
Mark Eddy