PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Biblical Texts

Precha1
05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Help, please! I am interested in comparing and displaying the verses of 2 Samuel 22 with those of Psalm 18.

The Related Verses Tool does what I am looking for but it only compares and displays one verse at a time. Is there a way or another tool to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks

jimofbentley
05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Although there may be other (and better) ways, I would suggest using the "Parallel Versions Window", under "Tools: Viewing the Text".

With this you can view the two passages side by side in whatever Version, English, Hebrew, Greek, etc, you would prefer.

Precha1
06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Although there may be other (and better) ways, I would suggest using the "Parallel Versions Window", under "Tools: Viewing the Text".

With this you can view the two passages side by side in whatever Version, English, Hebrew, Greek, etc, you would prefer.

Thanks. I had not considered this before.

ISalzman
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Actually, Jim, I don't think the Parallel Versions Window would do the trick here. The Parallel Versions Window can put two identical texts from different versions in side-by-side windows. I do not believe you can compare two different chapters from the same version in side-by-side windows. I would love to see see what Precha is asking for in BW. I don't believe that capability is present currently. I would love to see the Related Verses Tool engine extended to chapters in addition to verses.

jimofbentley
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Actually, Jim, I don't think the Parallel Versions Window would do the trick here. The Parallel Versions Window can put two identical texts from different versions in side-by-side windows. I do not believe you can compare two different chapters from the same version in side-by-side windows. I would love to see see what Precha is asking for in BW. I don't believe that capability is present currently. I would love to see the Related Verses Tool engine extended to chapters in addition to verses.

I double checked, just to make sure, and it is possible to have the same version more than once (I am currently looking at the NIV in parallel columns).

When the first pop-up window appears which gives you the "Available Bible Versions", I selected the NIV and clicked on "Add" two times. The Parallel Versions came up, both with the NIV, and I was able to manipulate either column to whatever passage I desired.

ISalzman
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I double checked, just to make sure, and it is possible to have the same version more than once (I am currently looking at the NIV in parallel columns).

When the first pop-up window appears which gives you the "Available Bible Versions", I selected the NIV and clicked on "Add" two times. The Parallel Versions came up, both with the NIV, and I was able to manipulate either column to whatever passage I desired.

Thanks Jim. I stand corrected.

It would be nice though if, to the Parallel Versions Window, a comparison feature/capability could be added so that words/terms common to both passages (in the same version) could be highlighted. Or similarly, if there was a tool that could show differences between two different passages within the same version. For example, it would be nice to visually markup the differences between the Davidic Covenant passages found in Samuel and Chronicles, respectively.

Adelphos
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
You can easily export a whole Bible or a passage of a Bible and then build that into a version with the VDC. Once you've done that, which might take a whole sixty seconds, or maybe ninety, then you can set color compare options and compare until your heart is content.

ISalzman
06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
You can easily export a whole Bible or a passage of a Bible and then build that into a version with the VDC. Once you've done that, which might take a whole sixty seconds, or maybe ninety, then you can set color compare options and compare until your heart is content.

Hmmm ... I'll have to give that a try. You mean I would be able to compare the said Samuel passage with the said Chronicles passage? And all I have to do is export WTT or at least a portion of it into a newly compiled database version? And then use the Text Comparison tool?

Incidentally, is there a way to highlight differences in the two passages as opposed to similarities? For example, as you probably already know, the Davidic Covenant in Chronicles makes no mention of David's descendant sinning.

Also, I would probably want to compare passages in a morphology version, since parallel passages might differ slightly in their verbal forms (stems, etc.). Inner Biblical allusion does not need to conform exactly. Psalm 1 for example calls the man spoken of there blessed ("Ashrei"). In Psalm 89 (I believe), one is spoken of whom they will call "blessed" (yeashruhu; different form but same verbal root).

Another thing I noticed in the Text Comparison Settings Dialog, it did not ask for a passage. How does one go about generating a text comparison report?

Adelphos
06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Well you've asked a whole lot of different questions. Also, I don't know if there's such thing as a "text comparison report".

For now, just go to Tools | Importing Exporting Information and choose Export Database.

Set a range for a small passage in Chronicles, one that you want to compare with say, a parallel passage in Kings. Export that range of verses, then compile it as a new Bible version with the VDC. Once you've done that, either put both the WTT and the new name you've given to your new version in the Browse window and set the color compare options, or you could also bring it up in the Parallel Window. You could also build a sysopsis file to do these types of things.

For now, I would advise you to learn how to Export a passage and use the VDC. Practice that until you know what you're doing, then new horizons will open up to you as to how to proceed. Check the help file and the Videos for how to use the Export and VDC feature.

ISalzman
06-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Well you've asked a whole lot of different questions. Also, I don't know if there's such thing as a "text comparison report".

For now, just go to Tools | Importing Exporting Information and choose Export Database.

Set a range for a small passage in Chronicles, one that you want to compare with say, a parallel passage in Kings. Export that range of verses, then compile it as a new Bible version with the VDC. Once you've done that, either put both the WTT and the new name you've given to your new version in the Browse window and set the color compare options, or you could also bring it up in the Parallel Window. You could also build a sysopsis file to do these types of things.

For now, I would advise you to learn how to Export a passage and use the VDC. Practice that until you know what you're doing, then new horizons will open up to you as to how to proceed. Check the help file and the Videos for how to use the Export and VDC feature.

Thanks Scott. This looks like it could be quite powerful. You've opened my eyes.

Irving

Precha1
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Scott. This looks like it could be quite powerful. You've opened my eyes.

Irving

Thanks ISalzman for expanding on my original question. Thanks Scott for your enlightening response. I knew it had to be possible in such a powerful tool as BW. I was just challenged on how to proceed. Thanks again. I'll play around with exporting a passage and the VDC.

Jim Wert
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Irving, how short is your memory. The following is from a similar discussion that happened back in February.

With BibleWorks almost all things are possible, although not all those things are expedient.

A way to do this using the version compiler is:

Export the parallel passage you want to compare.
Change the book name and verse numbers to the one you want to compare it to.
Compile it as a user version with a new version name.
When you compare them remember that NewVersion 2ki is actually Isa, and that the verse numbers in NewVersion are off.

For: You can now use the version compare facility; If you haven't yet used the compile version facility you now have an excuse to make the acquaintance of that fascinating, powerful, and infuriating critter.

Against: You will have spent more time than doing it manually in the synopsis facility; You will now have a user version floating around with the wrong book name/ verse numbers to confuse you next year when you do a search on all versions, and this anomaly pops up.

--Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for your resourceful creativity in suggesting that method. But it won't cause me to retract my suggestion that the Comparison Tool be tweaked to be able to compare parallel passages within same versions in addition to comparing same passages in differing versions. I would think that it oughtn't to be too hard to add that feature.

ISalzman
06-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Irving, how short is your memory. The following is from a similar discussion that happened back in February.

Ah yes, Jim. With respect to that, I have found memory to be getting shorter and shorter with all the passing years.