PDA

View Full Version : Start-up splash screen concern, complaint, request???

mgarman
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
This is such a trivial matter that I've resisted even posting anything about this for some time, but it has finally reached the point that I am considering turning off the display of the splash screen at start up, or post this thread to see if anyone has a suggestion for resolving my admittedly petty concern.

When BW8 starts up it appears to randomly select a splash scene to display while its performing its startup tasks; There are a couple of scenes that I find very inspiring and soothing and I always hope that one of those will be the scene that is presented when I launch the application. However, the one scene that I find the least inspiring and really down right depressing is the one that has the message: FOCUS ON THE TEXT, and it inevitably is the one that I get 90% of the time.

Does anyone know of a way to specify which splash scene that BW8 will display at start up? I would like to select one of the scenes that I would rather view each time the application is launched.

As I said, this is a trivial complaint, but I get a real boost when one of the more desirable scenes with the quotes from scripture is displayed, and I get a feeling of disgust and irritation when I see the FOCUS ON THE TEXT scene. Why this is I do not know, something in my personality I guess, but it has bugged me enough that I will disable the "show splash screen at startup" option if I'm forced to view this screen much more.

Hopefully I can avoid doing that if someone can offer a solution to this dilemma.

Adelphos
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
At present there is no way to choose which of the dozen splash screens will show. You can go to the main BibleWorks website and request this feature directly to BibleWorks via email.

Michael Hanel
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
At present there is no way to choose which of the dozen splash screens will show. You can go to the main BibleWorks website and request this feature directly to BibleWorks via email.

Adelphos' answer is correct, but just to add more info to your plate, the splash screens change automatically based on what time of day you open BibleWorks.

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
So, the deal is, you must set your alarm clock for a different time each morning, and start at different times of the day and night. Then you'll see lots of variety. And figure out when the one you hate pops up, and do make sure you don't start BW then ;o)

Jim Wert
05-28-2010, 05:36 PM
So, the deal is, you must set your alarm clock for a different time each morning, and start at different times of the day and night. Then you'll see lots of variety. And figure out when the one you hate pops up, and do make sure you don't start BW then ;o)

Carrying this one step further, when you have established when the splash screens you like are displayed, each time you are about to start up Bibleworks you can reset your computer's clock to a time that will bring up the splash screen of your choice.:D

Lee
05-29-2010, 12:49 AM
A tip: do not start up BibleWorks at 10:49 p.m. CDT.

Lee
05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is it about that screen that disturbs you so much?

calvary
05-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Kinda' funny: the "FOCUS ON THE TEXT" splash is my favorite one. I even requested the admin's make a wallpaper of it--and they did. :)

Dave

mgarman
05-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is it about that screen that disturbs you so much?

Hi Lee,

You know it's hard to put a finger on it, but I guess it's related to the fact that I'm a design engineer by profession and I see "digital" components, "digital" equipment, "digital" devices, I write code for "digital" apparatus, and "digital" software all day every day, and so for me, everything is "digital" something. So after another day of "digital" something on my job, I'm kinda fed up with "digital" and the FOCUS ON THE TEXT screen has a "digital" oriented theme.

The other splash screens have more soothing themes, at least soothing to me, an ocean beach, a view of waves on the ocean, both with quotes from scripture; these are for me relaxing and helps me to take my mind off of "digital" something and prepares me for my study in the Word.

I've learn from the replies submitted in response to my post that there are about 12 different splash screens that are triggered based on the time of day that BW is started, so I will certainly take your tip and not work at 10:59 pm (I'm in the CDT zone also), and I will consider Dave Brueggemann's idea and set my alarm clock for different times of the day and note which times the dreaded "digital" screen pops up and just avoid those times for study.

That's about it. I've enjoyed reading all of the responses that you guys have made regarding my post.

Michael