PDA

View Full Version : Help, Help, Help

ISalzman
05-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Here is a question about the Word List Manager. Is there a way to create a word list (yes, just one) from two verse ranges that are not contiguous? Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to compare the vocabulary of Isaiah 52:13-53:12 with the vocabulary of Isaiah 52:1-12 + Isaiah 54. I was hoping to create one word list with the words in Isa 52:1-12 and the words in Isa 54. Then I wanted to create a secondary word list with the words found in Isa 52:13-Isa 53:12. Then I wanted to select words common to both lists. But I can't seem to find a way to create one word list with all of the words from Isa 52:1-12 and those in Isaiah 54. So my question is: Is there a way to create a word list from two (or more) verse ranges that are not contiguous? Grateful for any responses. Especially soon ones. Thanks.

Irving

ISalzman
05-16-2010, 09:56 PM
As Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) used to say, "Never mind!" Just answered my own question. As Maxwell Smart used to say, "It was the old 'Read the Help File' trick!"

But, by way of suggestion, it might be nice to be able to input non-contiguous verse ranges in the Verse Range box. They could be separated by a semi-colon or semi-cola. It would cut out the extra step of having to generate two word lists, appending the second to the active list. Just a suggestion. It would make for quicker working.

Glenn Weaver
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Irving,

Actually, using a semicolon in the Verse Range box works in the Word List Manager. (The semicolon works on the Command Line, too, for entering search limits.) Here are the steps to enter non-contiguous ranges in the Word List Manager (WLM):

--Open the WLM. Click on the "Load or Generate Word List" button.
--Select your desired version. Select the radio button for Source as "Load words from a Bible version."
--In the Verse Range Limits box, enter the desired range. For your example, enter "Isa 52:1-12;Isa 54", without the quotation marks.
--Check any desired boxes in the Other options section, then click the "Create list" button.

This should yield all the words in Isa 52:1-12 and Isa 54.

Blessings,

ISalzman
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Irving,

Actually, using a semicolon in the Verse Range box works in the Word List Manager. (The semicolon works on the Command Line, too, for entering search limits.) Here are the steps to enter non-contiguous ranges in the Word List Manager (WLM):

--Open the WLM. Click on the "Load or Generate Word List" button.
--Select your desired version. Select the radio button for Source as "Load words from a Bible version."
--In the Verse Range Limits box, enter the desired range. For your example, enter "Isa 52:1-12;Isa 54", without the quotation marks.
--Check any desired boxes in the Other options section, then click the "Create list" button.

This should yield all the words in Isa 52:1-12 and Isa 54.

Blessings,

Glenn, thanks so much. For whatever reason, that did not work last night when I tried that. But lo and behold, I saw your post here this morning, tried it again, and voila, it works! I don't remember what I did last night exactly, but I may have entered the search range as follows (without the quotation marks): "Isa 52:1-12; 54" Apparently, it doesn't like a specified range without the second book abbreviation (even though it's the same book, Isaiah).

One other observation of interest. When I read your suggested procedure above, I thought you may have inadvertently left out a space after the semi-colon and before "Isa 54." But it seems to work both ways. "Isa 52:1-12;Isa 54" can be entered and "Isa 52:1-12; Isa 54" can be entered, and they both seem to work the same. (In case I am unclear, there is no space after the semi-colon in the first verse range, and there is a space in the second. It doesn't seem to matter; both examples yield the same result. Does that seem right to you?

Again, thanks for your reply, Glenn. Blessings,

Irving

Glenn Weaver
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Irving,

I knew that the range worked without the space after the semicolon, but I was not aware that it would work with a space. If it works, great! Thanks for the info.

Blessings,
Glenn

ISalzman
05-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Irving,

I knew that the range worked without the space after the semicolon, but I was not aware that it would work with a space. If it works, great! Thanks for the info.

Blessings,
Glenn

You're welcome, Glenn. I tried it both ways and they both work. I'm glad for that since, in scholarly writing, the natural way is to include the space. Intuitively, and without thinking, I would have always left a space there. After having written dozens of essays, papers, etc., leaving a space is automatic for me. (By the way, not referring to myself as "scholarly" here!)